how many times a day (poop) - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Beginner

do you poop?

silly i know, but i am curious because in a class the other day the professor asked everyone how often they poop, from the show of hands about half of the nearly 30 people go once a day, a few go twice a day, surprised to see that some only go twice a week...the professor and i were the only ones that regularly go 3 times a day. everyone laughed and thought we were freaks, however the whole point of the discussion was that people need to poop more (i.e. change their diets) to be healthy.

as shocked as i was to hear that people think its normal to go twice a week, they were equally shocked to know that it is healthy to go multiple times a day. i know that i am the only vegetarian in the class, so...

how often do you poop, and what do u think is normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Beginner

when i'm eating well, twice a day is not unusual. when i'm an unhealthy junkfood rut like right now, once a day, sometimes every other day

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Beginner

I go 1 to 2 times a day.I used to poop 2 times per week but trained myself to go once a day lol. Omni son goes 3 times a day which i thought was bad but he says its normal
#4 Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Beginner

Usually twice, but can be 3 times. But yeah I can also notice if I've eaten badly because I go once.
#5 Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Beginner

2-3 times a day, usually 2. I don't understand how people could only go twice a week and continue to feel healthy. If I missed one day I would feel very ill.
#6 Old 06-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Beginner

"Normal" ranges to several times a week to several times a day. Which is pretty much my range. Today I've gone at least 4 times, yesterday once, then I don't remember before then. Sometimes I go a few days in between, usually if I've gone a ton one day, I won't go much for the next few, if at all. Like my body "empties" then takes time to refill.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Beginner

I go twice in the morning. Usually right when I wake up and again after a couple cups of coffee.
#8 Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

however the whole point of the discussion was that people need to poop more (i.e. change their diets) to be healthy.

Did your prof say that? My GI and I had a talk about this once and he said that 3 times a week to 3 times a day is healthy.

Yes, a healthy diet results in healthy poop, but that is also quality, not quantity.
#9 Old 06-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Beginner

I usually go twice a say, once mid morning to noonish and again in the evening... not exactly clockwork, but close. If I go more or less its usually because of stomach issues, something I ate didn't agree or not feeling well.
#10 Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Beginner

I usually go two - three times in morning after breakfast/coffee. This is only if I take my magnesium supplement before bed though. I head very very well but can't seem to poop without this supplement. I am so frustrated because I dont want this to turn into a laxative type dependency. I have IBS-C and I feel so much better with the supplement but at the same time wish I could just know that I'm eating healthy and my body would react to that in a normal/positive way without having to force it.

For those of you who go 2-3 or once a day regularly could you give me an example of what your diet looks like and what supplements you may or may not take?

I really want to get off the magnesium but dont think I can do it
#11 Old 06-06-2008, 04:50 AM
Beginner

suagerblue I always have to have something to eat 2 hours before i go to work or others wise i have problem,i also suffer with IBS.I normal have toast, crumpets,oatmeal or wheatbix and sometimes some fruit juice to help me on my way.If i eat lots of fiber in the day i have no problem at all
#12 Old 06-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Beginner

I normally have 2-3 small poops a day.

I can tell how well I have been eating by the texture/shape of them.

I haven't had a good poop since Tuesday though... Silly codein in the painkillers I have to take. (plus, I can only eat soft, low fiber foods right now). *Sigh* Sorry friends, too much information, I know

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#13 Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Beginner

For me, it's 3 times a day, just like clock work. My diet is largely grains, legumes, and vegetables with a small amount of fruit, nuts, & low-fat dairy. I try to avoid processed foods.
#14 Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Beginner

Twice.

My daughter's father's parents are members of the "pooping once a day is unnatural, let alone more than once" camp. They were horrified that my daughter went twice a day once when they were looking after her and felt the need to lecture me on it, apparently once a week is normal according to them, granted they have shocking diets. These are people that eat 2 minuite noodles for lunch every single day.
#15 Old 06-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Beginner

I can't imagine going only once a week. That sounds terribly uncomfortable.

Generally, somewhere between two and five times a day. Depends on what I've been eating, but I consume a lot of fiber in the form of smoothies, so it's usually pretty regular.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, eats a very standard American diet when he's here in the States and goes once a day. Always in the morning, right after his first cigarette of the day. He got a new job a few months ago at a cafe where he cooks with lots of vegetables, couscous, fresh breads, etc. and after a few weeks he complained to me that he was now having two bowel movements a day and that they were "different" (after this conversation I said "So... why did you tell me this?"). I told him that a change in diet can do that, and his response was "Oh. I guess I'll stop eating at work, then."

He's back to a diet of chicken sandwiches and beer and his bathroom habits have returned to normal, or so I'm told. He probably would have been better off adjusting to a new toilet schedule and keeping the healthier diet...
#16 Old 06-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Beginner

Once a day or once every two days. My husband does it a couple of times a day, and tells me he's heard women tend to go less often due to hormones. Not sure about that one.
#17 Old 06-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

Did your prof say that? My GI and I had a talk about this once and he said that 3 times a week to 3 times a day is healthy.

Yes, a healthy diet results in healthy poop, but that is also quality, not quantity.

Yes she did say that it is healthiest to go pretty much as often as you eat (easy equation: something goes in, something must come out). so if you eat three times a day, you should poop three times a day. so i guess if you ate three times a week only, then pooping three times is fine, however eating that little is not healthy so im not sure why you were told that.

the point of the discussion was that a lot people do not eat enough fiber or drink enough water on a regular basis. i brought up that meat rots in your digestive tract causing irregularities as well (my omni prof. did not appreciate that much...oh well cant shutup all the time!).
#18 Old 06-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Yes she did say that it is healthiest to go pretty much as often as you eat (easy equation: something goes in, something must come out). so if you eat three times a day, you should poop three times a day.

She doesn't know what she's talking about; this is not true. Digestive normality varies from person to person and can be a few times a week to a few times a day.

I eat 6 times a day. There's no way I could poop 6 times a day, every day, without something being wrong with me.

Quote:
i brought up that meat rots in your digestive tract causing irregularities as well (my omni prof. did not appreciate that much...oh well cant shutup all the time!).

It gets digested in your digestive tract, and so do grains, fruits, and vegetables. It moves along with the rest of the food people eat. The whole notion that people have meat/corn/whatnot sitting in their colon for ages , while other matter just sails on by, is false.
#19 Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Yes she did say that it is healthiest to go pretty much as often as you eat (easy equation: something goes in, something must come out). so if you eat three times a day, you should poop three times a day. so i guess if you ate three times a week only, then pooping three times is fine, however eating that little is not healthy so im not sure why you were told that.

the point of the discussion was that a lot people do not eat enough fiber or drink enough water on a regular basis. i brought up that meat rots in your digestive tract causing irregularities as well (my omni prof. did not appreciate that much...oh well cant shutup all the time!).

Interesting.

I definitely know that my GI is correct, however, obviously eating a low fibre diet equals less poop. Not trying to argue.
#20 Old 06-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

"Normal" ranges to several times a week to several times a day. Which is pretty much my range. Today I've gone at least 4 times, yesterday once, then I don't remember before then. Sometimes I go a few days in between, usually if I've gone a ton one day, I won't go much for the next few, if at all. Like my body "empties" then takes time to refill.

Several times a week is certainly not normal. Well I take that back it may be normal but definitely not healthy. You should be going at least once a day but preferrably twice or even three times. It really depends on how much you eat. I don't even understand how people could only go a few times a week. WTF? I guess it just crams in there and sits. Ugh ugh ugh!
#21 Old 06-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

Several times a week is certainly not normal. Well I take that back it may be normal but definitely not healthy.

From which studies are you obtaining this information?

University of Michigan:

Quote:
Normal bowel movement frequency may range from three bowel movements per day to three bowel movements per week.

Penn State:

Quote:
Normal frequency of bowel movements for one person may be three each day, while for another it might be once every three days. You need to know what is normal for you.

Mayo Clinic:

Quote:
There is no "normal" frequency for bowel movements. Depending on the individual, "normal" may range from three times a week to three times a day.

The key is knowing what is "normal" for your own body. If you cut out stimulants and diuretics and processed foods, eat a healthy diet full of fiber, vegetables, lean protein, and whole foods for a decent period of time, you should figure out what's normal for you. Some people's bodies cycle (several days of no poo, then one day of 3 poos). Some people poo once every 3 days. Some people poo 4 times a day. The key is knowing when pooping's inconsistent with typical pooping habits and to get checked out when that happens (given that the diet has not changed).

I can't believe I'm talking about this.
#22 Old 06-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Beginner

only once/day.

sometimes if i go twice/day, i skip a day.

my fiber roughly averages 50g/day. (range 35-70)

i graze a lot during the day, then have a sit-down "big" dinner..
#23 Old 06-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed13 View Post

Several times a week is certainly not normal. Well I take that back it may be normal but definitely not healthy. You should be going at least once a day but preferrably twice or even three times. It really depends on how much you eat. I don't even understand how people could only go a few times a week. WTF? I guess it just crams in there and sits. Ugh ugh ugh!

I don't eat a ton, and you have to figure a good amount of food is absorbed as well. There is constipated and there is not having to go, and they're entirely different feelings. "Healthy" stool is easy to pass and curves in C or S shapes. You can pass healthy stool at different intervals.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#24 Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

She doesn't know what she's talking about; this is not true. Digestive normality varies from person to person and can be a few times a week to a few times a day.

This is a debated topic and people have different opinions on how frequent and why. My professor is highly educated and respected and certainly knows what she is talking about.

"Frequency. Experts cannot agree what should the appropriate frequency of bowel movements be. Some experts say that the number of meals a day should equal the number of bowel movements. Others believe that a daily bowel movement is a sign of good bowel health. Some doctors disagree, claiming that you should not worry if you do not have a bowel movement every day. However, most experts agree that infrequent bowel movements are often caused by a diet high in refined flour and sugar."
#25 Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Beginner

Infrequent (what is "infrequent" to these experts?) bowel movements are also a sign of a diet high in protein, high in soluble fiber, low in insoluble fiber, and low in fat. And a diet that causes frequent, runny stool is extremely unhealthy. But hey - frequency is high so it must be good!

So would your professor tell me that if I eat 6 times a day, every day, I should be pooping 6 times a day? Or does this "rule" only apply to those who eat 3 times a day or less?
#26 Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Beginner

Quote:

This is a debated topic and people have different opinions on how frequent and why. My professor is highly educated and respected and certainly knows what she is talking about.

I'm sure she seems that way. However, the paragraph you quoted simply highlights that experts can't agree on what is normal and that there is a lot of variability in BM frequency. Nowhere do you state that your professor is telling anyone that pooping multiple times a day is desired or normal. I think you might be reading into her instruction what you want to....
#27 Old 06-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Beginner

I'm not sure I care about what is considered "normal" in a country full of people who eat fast food five times a week and get 2 grams of fiber a month. Statistics based on the SAD don't apply to healthy people, and I also have read many books suggesting that not moving the bowels at least once a day is not healthy, regardless of what is found to be "normal" by mainstream medicine.

Doctors know how to prescribe drugs, but they don't know anything about maintaining health.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#28 Old 06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Doctors know how to prescribe drugs, but they don't know anything about maintaining health.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#29 Old 06-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Beginner

You guys are either seeing ****ty doctors or basing your comments on anecdotes and drug commercials. If you've tried several times to talk to your GP about your health and maintaining it and s/he pulls our the Rx pad every single time, well OK. But I'm guessing you've never gone to your doctor and said, "I'd like to talk to you about maintaining my health and I have a few questions..."

My GP is awesome and supports my healthy lifestyle and asks me about it, how I got interested in it, etc. She's great and I have had pretty good experiences with my GPs (with one exception).
#30 Old 06-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Statistics based on the SAD don't apply to healthy people

Do you have proof that these BM studies are inclusive only of people on SAD? I was looking up studies on BM frequency (I think I've finally gone crazy) and found one that included 30% vegetarians (some were vegan). The study found that vegetarians had BMs slightly more frequently than meat-eaters, likely due to a greater consumption of fiber.

I also found a study that had a controlled diet with a specific amount of protein and fiber.

Don't assume researchers are just plucking people off the street and asking them how often they poop. Studies with digestive research are going to have controlled diets so that comparisons can be made among the study's population (if everyone eats the same things at the same time, what is the outcome).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page