Does coconut oil cause intestinal problems? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gita

#1 Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 AM

I just recently began eating organic, extra-virgin, and cold-pressed coconut oil. I take around 2 teaspoons+ per day by the spoonful and trying to move my way up to about 3 tablespoons. It feels like there is a lot of movement within my intestinal tract. I only notice this when I'm trying to sleep, and don't really notice any other problems. I had done a lot of research on coconut oil before taking it so I know other people have reported problems when they started taking it and then the problems went away shortly. I'm not sure what to think. Should I be worried about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 AM

Fat is fat as far as your digestive system is concerned, so if you have a sensitive digestive system, eating a significant amount of any kind of fat might upset your tummy. Three (or even two) tablespoons of fat at a time would definitely upset my stomach. But everyone is different, so go with your gut. (I'm pretty funny, huh.)

I'm curious, I know there are some studies about the benefits of coconut oil, but what made you decide to eat so much of it?
#3 Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I'm curious, I know there are some studies about the benefits of coconut oil, but what made you decide to eat so much of it?

I don't feel like I'm healthy enough right now, and the coconut oil is only around $23 for more than 50 ounces. I read a book just about coconut oil and all the benefits it can do for your skin, health, etc. It can fight viruses, and there are a lot of illnesses it can prevent too. There's even been studies that show it can help AIDS patients. So, it only makes sense that I would take some. I've read more positive reviews about coconut oil than just about any other food around.
#4 Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 PM

I am a big fan of virgin coconut oil too. And the answer is yes, it does have a tendency to make your bowels move, especially while you are getting used to it. I wouldn't worry about it.
#5 Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 PM

Wow. I'm a coconut oil fan as well, but that's a LOT of oil. It doesn't affect my digestive system, but... I don't begin to use that much of it either. Interesting.
#6 Old 03-18-2008, 09:48 PM

you'd probably just be fine using it IN things... I don't think it's any less effective if you use it as a butter (yum) for toast or even use it for cooking. Maybe reduce to just eating one spoon a day but cooking with it and putting it in oatmeal and stuff?
#7 Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 PM

I use coconut oil. I don't think 2-3 tsp is a lot considering in fried foods the oil is soaked in by the food. I think a tsp is the average serving used to butter toast. I probably eat that much oil per day. As for the intestinal problems, I think some people have issues with eating new things. I didn't have any problems when I started to use it. I guess "wait it out."
rena 508 likes this.
#8 Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 AM

I didn't have any problems yesterday. Hopefully that's a good sign.
#9 Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Wow. I'm a coconut oil fan as well, but that's a LOT of oil. It doesn't affect my digestive system, but... I don't begin to use that much of it either. Interesting.

The recommendations I've read are 3-4 tablespoons per day for best health. It would cost me around $20-25 per month so the cost is the bigger problem, but it's worth it when you consider all of the benefits.
#10 Old 03-19-2008, 11:05 AM

like anything, new foods take time to adjust to.

i use a lot of coconut oil (cooking with it might be a better option for ya). i haven't had any problems from using it.
#11 Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

I use coconut oil. I don't think 2-3 tsp is a lot considering in fried foods the oil is soaked in by the food. I think a tsp is the average serving used to butter toast. I probably eat that much oil per day.

Yeah, I was mostly responding to the 3 TABLESPOONS part of the OP. A couple teaspoons isn't that much but Tablespoons?
#12 Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 PM

coconut oil for short bowel syndrome need information

h
had many surgeries for this hoping that this might work.have lost lot of weight,wondering if this diet would be good for me. Can not keep fruits or veggies or meats in body for long. thought I could use the oil and grind veggies with the coconut oil. need more receipes, am very hopeful. this is an awesome community. Like all the topics. I saw on your profile u had a greyhound, or whippet, wasn't sure I have had both breeds. wonderful pets. that has been my dream to own another one,but difficult to find where I live. I keep looking. best of luck. I am going to find new ways to eat healthy.

much oil per day. As for the intestinal problems, I think some people have issues with eating new things. I didn't have any problems when I started to use it. I guess "wait it out."[/QUOTE]
#13 Old 05-15-2014, 05:26 AM

I had no idea, I use it but no problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page