VeggieBoards banner

Weight Lifting

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  GhostUser 
#1 ·
Are there any serious and knowledgeable weight lifters here? Or can anyone point me to a place like veggieboards for weight lifters? I have some questions I'd like answered.

please reply.

thanks,

rigmarole

#9 ·
being aware that results vary from individual to individual I was wondering if it is generally more beneficial to work each body part once a week or twice a week. Because I've been going for twice a week. I'll do chest/shoulders/triceps one day, followed by back/biceps the next, then legs the third, followed by a day off then repeating the process.

also, in keeping with this routine I have a hard time keeping my workouts under an hour, but I've been told that after 45 minutes tops I will use up most of the testosterone and other fuels stored in the muscles that make for a beneficial workout. The only way I can cut down my workout time would be to do do a 5 day workout cycle: 1. shoulders 2. chest 3. back 4. legs 5. biceps/triceps 6. rest.

this would obviously force my routine to resemble a once a week for each body part schedule rather than twice.

But I run almost an hour every day, and don't want to stop, so I really want to maximize the bulking effect of lifting weights to counter the catabolic effects, of running, on my muscles.

so what do you think?

rigmarole

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

Sorry, I don't have much time to reply right now. I'll post more later. It seems to me that you aren't varying you're routine enough. You need to do a variety of excercises on all muscle groups. When I get home, I'll post more details.
Not at all...I do vary my routine greatly, if I understand correctly what you mean by varying my routine that is. As an example I never do the same chest routine two sessions in a row. Sometimes I'll use the straight bar, sometimes I'll use dumbells. Sometimes I'll focus on flat bench, sometimes I'll focus more on incline and decline. I almost always do flys.

Having said that, please post with whatever you were going to say because I'm always interested in ways to improve my workouts.

rigmarole

#15 ·
During any exercise, the important things to focus on are water and air. You must drink water throughout your work out. Not only will this prevent dehydration, but it aids in muscle development and fat loss as well.

Breathing may be the most important thing, though most people don't focus on it at all. When exercising, don't inhale through your mouth. During most exercises, you should inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Pay attention to your breath. Breathe at a comfortable, measured rate. I always inhale for five counts and exhale for five counts. Make breathing part of the exercise. I exhale while pushing/pulling, and inhale during the release. Example: on leg curls, I exhale as I lift my legs, inhale as I ease them down.

Working each body part once or twice a week are both good ideas. Better results come with working it twice a week, but it does depend on the type of results you want. If you want large muscles, you should use more resistance, less reps, less often. If you want to lose fat and have a good tone, use less resistance, more reps, more often.

As for running every day, you would probably get better results if you took a few days off a week, and did some walking, hiking, stair climbing, yoga, or even nothing at all, since your body needs days of rest in order to produce results. I love to run on those tracks that are at high/middle schools. They usually have bleachers next to them and I run up and down those during my laps.

The lengths of your exercise depend on you. After a work out, you should feel energetic, not exhausted. It's okay to feel tired, but don't work out so hard that you collapse afterwards, at least not very often.

I'll post more, later. I'm having a busy day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.