Veg*n DASH Diet? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Beginner

I have moderately high blood pressure & would like to try to lower it using the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension), which has been proven effective in reducing high blood pressure. The DASH eating plan recommends a certain number of servings from various food groups, but I would like to alter it to make it veg*an. Does anyone have any idea how I would fit that into the DASH diet in order to make it dairy-free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Beginner

It's very easy, IMO to make any diet dairy free (DASH, or not). From what I understand, the dairy in the omni diet is mostly for the calcium and there are loads of ways of getting calcium without doing diary. Deep leafy greens are one good way and certain beans are another. This link lists the calcium amounts in different foods.

Here's more information regarding hypertention from PCRM (Physicans Comittee for Responsible Medicine) at this link and the veggie starter kit is here. The starter kit is about 12 pages long but has loads of good information about the veg*n diet (pages 10 and 11 go into vegan pregnancy and feeding kids which also make for excellent reading).

Since this site is written by physicians and not by scare-mongers or people trying to sell you things, I tend to take more stock in what they say vs. other medical information sites that still function under old myths and ancient ideas. The site itself is www.pcrm.org and the whole site is excellent reading.

I wish you much luck with your DASH diet, and congrats on your transition to veg.
#3 Old 10-02-2003, 02:30 PM
Beginner

Thank you very much for the links -- very helpful. I have read a book by Neal Barnard, so I would respect information from the PCRM.

Is calcium the only nutritional reason for dairy products? If I get enough calcium, you think I'd be fine? At the moment I do take calcium supplements, but ideally I'd want to increase the amount of calcium in my diet.

I ordered some books from Amazon on low-sodium diets and reducing high blood pressure without medication. It's depressing to see how much sodium is in simple things that I assumed were healthy, such as tomato juice. We'll see how this goes.
#4 Old 10-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post

I ordered some books from Amazon on low-sodium diets and reducing high blood pressure without medication. It's depressing to see how much sodium is in simple things that I assumed were healthy, such as tomato juice. We'll see how this goes.

Yeah, they sneak sodium into a lot of things, especially if their canned or frozen. But you should be able to find low sodium tomato juice. I'm pretty sure Campell's or one of those big companies makes it, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Good luck!

~NS~

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page