latex-fruit syndrome? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Beginner

i always told myself i would never try to diagnose myself by looking up stuff online. I did it anyway. so maybe i'm totally wrong, but latex-fruit syndrome keeps comming up in my searches and it fits what i have going on. With trying new foods i've noticed that some cause my lips to swell slightly and my mouth gets itchy feeling. it only last a few hours at the most. So i typed in all the foods that were causing it and up poped this "latex-fruit syndrome" thing. It says that if you are allergic to latex that certain fruits may also cause a mild allergic reaction. And guess what! just two months ago i found out by going to a doctor that i'm allergic to latex.

so far almonds, avacados, bananas, and kiwi are causing me problems.

has anyone ever heard of this? Or know anything about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Banned

yeah... its similar to oral allergy syndrome, which is something i have- i have hayfever type allergies, and my genius body thinks tomatoes are tree and grass pollens, cos they share similar compounds, and i get the whole itchy mouth and skin thing when i eat tomatoes. its nothing more than a minor pain in the derrierre for me, but its not like that for everyone.

i think you should go back to your doctor with this, and lay off the offending stuff till then. it might just be something that is a minor inconvenience for you too, but you don't want to mess with allergies- while they might not get worse, you don't want to be munching away on bananas and then end up in anaphylactic shock, cos erm... thats not really very much fun at all.

eta: i think i recall another 'jen' on the boards having the same issue... maybe its a special 'jen-etic' thing, hehehe.
#3 Old 11-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Beginner

thanks, glad to know that something like it does exist and i'm not compleatly crazy. i'm going to call the doctor tomorow and see what he thinks.

and hope its not linked to the name Jenn LOL that WOULD be crazy!
#4 Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Beginner

I developed a latex allergy I am guessing from my exposure in health care. Out of the blue I became allergic to bananas about 3 years ago- it has gotten progressively worse with each accidental banana exposure. I also have walnut issues. I will cry if avocados ever bother me!
#5 Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Beginner

I have oral allergy syndrome, which is similar. I have a tree nut allergy (although I have never had a reaction to a tree nut that I know of) and thought it was no big deal, until I had an anaphylactic reaction to a raw apple. I also ave had minor itching from fruits with pits. I can eat berries, grapes, melon etc no problem, and I can eat apples and other things cooked. It is ony in raw form that's the problem. So, it may be that you can stil eat them cooked...
#6 Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Beginner

its totally possible...i think mangoes fall into this catagory as well.

i have also read that ficus plants *and there are alot of various types of ficus* can also cause problems w/ pple w/ latex allergies, b/c they are in the rubber tree family.

i have no latex allergies, but sometimes kiwis bother me too! and i cannot eat unorganic strawberries b/c of the spraying...and i may be wrong, but the foods you are having problems w/ may be a heavily sprayed item.
#7 Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

its totally possible...i think mangoes fall into this catagory as well.

i have also read that ficus plants *and there are alot of various types of ficus* can also cause problems w/ pple w/ latex allergies, b/c they are in the rubber tree family.

i have no latex allergies, but sometimes kiwis bother me too! and i cannot eat unorganic strawberries b/c of the spraying...and i may be wrong, but the foods you are having problems w/ may be a heavily sprayed item.

hmmm....never thought about them being sprayed could cause the problem. That makes sense too. anyway have a doctor appointment for next week. He'll probably tell me to avoid those foods and charge me a fortune. oh well, better be safe than sorry.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page