proper food combining - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2003, 09:26 PM

hello everyone!

last week i decided i wanted to do another detox, but my hubby convinced me to try something a little less drastic than the master cleanser i did back in september, so i am going the "proper food combining" route. i did this several years ago under the advice of my naturopath and had great results, but it did take about a month to really feel the effects, and two to three months to feel like i was on top of things. the best part about this way of eating is that you can have as much as you want of any food you like, you just have to watch what you combine it with. it's all based on the idea that it takes different kinds of foods different amounts of time to go through your digestive tract, and if you mix 'em up, you get clogged guts. food can actually start to rot in your intestines if it's in there for more than a few hours, which can lead to all kinds of digestive upset and ineffective digestion.

also, the theory goes further to say that your body spends an exorbitant amount of energy trying to digest all your improperly combined meals, and that once you start digesting foods easily and quickly, that energy will be freed up to be spent elsewhere (in this case, chasing two high-energy children around all day! )

you are also supposed to give up coffee, refined sugar, and deep-fried foods, which has been the hardest part of all for me.

anyway, these are the basic food combining principles i'm following:

nothing but fresh fruit until noon.

never mix starches (potatoes, squash, rice, bread, pasta) with proteins (beans, nuts, tofu, tempeh, veggie "meats") in the same meal.

allow your body 1 hour from the time you eat your last piece of fruit to move onto your next meal.

allow your body 3-4 hours to digest a starchy meal, before eating a protein-based meal or more fruit. allow your body 4-6 hours (or more) to digest a protein-based meal before eating a starchy meal or more fruit.

aim for your meals to be at least 50% "high water content" foods - that is fresh veggies, either lightly steamed or baked or stir-fried or raw.

for example, this afternoon i had a nice big bowl of "creamy" corn and potato chowder (no soymilk, though, i just pureed it up to make it creamy), a slice of whole wheat bread and a huge green salad. that was a starch meal.

this evening i made a big pot of spicy veggie curry, some pan-fried tofu "panir" pakora (pakora is made with chickpea flour which is a protein and not a starch food), and another huge green salad. that was a protein meal.

i've been doing this for a week now and i'm already feeling a lot less "bogged down" throughout the day. i also seem to be sleeping better at night, though i'm not sure if that has more to do with my quitting coffee and tea throughout the day than it does with the way i'm eating my meals.

anyway, just thought i'd share! has anyone else tried this type of detoxifying diet? how long did you stick with it? my naturopath told me you can eat like this for the rest of your life if you so desire, and that it may in fact be a healthier way to go in general. i remember i gave it up last time because i missed my bbq tofu and mashed potato dinners too much, but i think i may just stick with it this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2003, 10:20 PM

this sounds similar to the body for life routine. though the book doesn't suggest any proteins that aren't meat, which pisses me off. but anyway it's all about eating 6 small meals a day, protein and carbs seperate etc. my boss just started it today actually, so all day she was alternating snacks of fruit, tuna and yogurt mixed with cottage cheese. i think a veganized version of this diet would be just as healthy and easy to follow, and it's more about getting to a natural weight for your body type and cleansing the body than just about losing weight to look good.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 02-17-2003, 10:44 PM

This sounds like something my mom tried a few years ago. I forget what the book she based it on was called, but I think it had all these fruits and veggies on the cover. (I know, big help.) I especially remember the "Fruit only until noon" part. I wish I could remember why she abandoned it... but my mom's not the best at sticking to things dietarily. She's tried so many different diets (excuse me, food lifestyles) that I've lost track.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#4 Old 02-18-2003, 03:02 AM

My guess is that Skylark means "Fit for life".
#5 Old 03-10-2003, 08:32 AM

My body has been feeling bogged down, too. I think that I will try it and see if it works. Kreeli I will let you know what happens.
#6 Old 03-12-2003, 06:44 AM

but.... but.... no baked bean toasties :-O
#7 Old 03-26-2003, 12:26 AM

1vegan,

That sounds right. I know my mom has tried that particular philosophy. I personally much prefer only fruit before noon. Don't ask my why, I just really like that. An orange over a donut any morning. :-)

I hop out of bed ready to eat, but not ready to eat much. Some folks say breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day, but sorry, if my stomach won't take it, I'm not going to force-feed myself.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#8 Old 03-26-2003, 02:07 AM

I want and really need to try that as well as fasting from time to time but it requires excluding booze so it would be moot.

what did the more extreme method entail???? how long?

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#9 Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 PM

Hi,

I recently saw a naturopath who recommended food combining but wasn't able to offer me much in the way of doing it with a vegetarian diet.

I'm very interested if you had any recipes or meal plans you might be

willing to share with me as I'd like to try this. If you are, my

home email address is misselenaous@charter.net. Thanks a lot, Elena
#10 Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 PM

This sounds a lot like what Mary Lu Henner recommends in her books. She's been eating with this type of food-combining for years now. Not for detox, specifically, but for general health (a side-effect of which is weight control).

I've meant to try it millions of times, but I mess up every AM; Ican't do fruit in the morning. I don't know why--it just doesn't taste good. I suppose that's weird.
#11 Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

This sounds a lot like what Mary Lu Henner recommends in her books. She's been eating with this type of food-combining for years now. Not for detox, specifically, but for general health (a side-effect of which is weight control).

I've meant to try it millions of times, but I mess up every AM; Ican't do fruit in the morning. I don't know why--it just doesn't taste good. I suppose that's weird.

I cant do fruit in the AM either. I need some sort of grain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page