Can probiotics be bad for you?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 PM

I know probiotics are supposed to be very helpful at restoring a healthy balance of bacteria in the body, but the wierd thing is every time i start using it..i seem to develop cold-type symptoms...no fever or anything, but i get kind of flemy & sinusy. Has anyone experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post

I know probiotics are supposed to be very helpful at restoring a healthy balance of bacteria in the body, but the wierd thing is every time i start using it..i seem to develop cold-type symptoms...no fever or anything, but i get kind of flemy & sinusy. Has anyone experienced this?

Were you taking them with dairy, e.g. yoghurt? Pathogenicity is an absolute quality that probiotic bacteria don't possess. Unless they acquired some funky new DNA...
#3 Old 04-01-2007, 02:40 PM

No, i just take them with water. I've been looking into it a little and think what i've been experiencing may be detox symptoms....so, i guess i will resume taking them and see what happens...
#4 Old 04-01-2007, 10:45 PM

maybe you are allergic to an ingredient.
#5 Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:

No, i just take them with water. I've been looking into it a little and think what i've been experiencing may be detox symptoms....so, i guess i will resume taking them and see what happens...

a lot of probiotic tablets are made with dairy...so that could still be a problem.

i was also recently reading that if people have a certain defective protein even "good" bacteria can sometime be harmful.

unless you were recommended them by a doctor, you can probably just stop taking them.
#6 Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

i was also recently reading that if people have a certain defective protein even "good" bacteria can sometime be harmful.

Hmm, this is what i would be afraid of...but how would i know i have that defective protein? I'll check into it. Thx!
#7 Old 04-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Hmm, this is what i would be afraid of...but how would i know i have that defective protein? I'll check into it. Thx!

i think it would require more than it would be worth to find this out.
#8 Old 04-03-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

maybe you are allergic to an ingredient.

That's why I asked about dairy...

What kind of organism are you taking? If in doubt just eat some sauerkraut instead of taking a probiotic.
#9 Old 04-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post

That's why I asked about dairy...

What kind of organism are you taking? If in doubt just eat some sauerkraut instead of taking a probiotic.

i actually meant something less obvious. i, for example, am allergic to a lot of things, and you find them in the weirdest places. some vitamins use onion starch as a filler (i'm allergic to onions) but it says, 'vegetable starch'. i'm allergic to rice, and rice starch is in a lot of foods - especially in things i use because i am a celiac. but yes - dairy, too.
#10 Old 04-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Hi,

In reply to feeling ill when you begin your probiotic regime, please know this reaction can be common. Probiotics add healthy bacteria, as you know, but they also push through toxins as a form of detox.

Is your probiotic made with certified organic whole food sources? If not, you could be having a chemical reaction or allergy. I highly recommend finding a probiotic that is created with an all natural or organic fermentation process and is rich with amino acids - especially the 8 essentials.

If you would like more information on probiotics, let me know. I would be happy to send you a CD I have that has great information on how they work inside the body, why they are so vital with today's low nutrient food supply and how the right probiotic can replace all the supplements in your cupboard.

I don't think I can post my website on here (where I host a plethora of information on this) ... but please reply if you are interested and hopefully I will catch the post!

Blessings,

ONEwithEarth
#11 Old 04-10-2007, 11:08 PM

I've known many kids that get extra phelmy when they consume milk products and some probiotics do contain milk ingredients.

I give it to my dd all the time and never had a problem with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page