A vegan nurse? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Beginner

I am starting to think everyone else is right as far as my money/future situation if I continue in the wildlife biology courses I'm currently in. Nursing is a good profession, but....would a vegan nurse be able to get a job? I have so much trouble not offending meat eaters as it is, I would be nervous about dealing with sick people who were just taking pills instead of fixing the problem. Also, I don't believe in conventional dr's...they are greedy cheaters, for the most part.

ANYWAY, I was planning on getting certified as a nurse and then going into wildlife biology and homeopathic/herbology medicines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Beginner

What about becoming a registered dietitian? You could set up your own practice or work with a homeopathic doctor.
#3 Old 07-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Beginner

Homeopathy is bunk.

Other than that I don't see how being vegan would interfere with a career as a nurse.
#4 Old 07-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

As a nurse, you don't give too much medical advice to people. Its against the rules. If you don't feel like you could refrain from proselytizing on the job, then yes, I would say nursing is not the right choice for you.

YOu basically will be working every single day with doctors, and following their direction, yet, you call them "greedy cheaters". Not a good way to start off, would you say?

If you want to help people, and don't mind being around blood, urine, feces, mucus and vomit, and don't mind helping people with bedpans, bathing, etc, then you might be cut out to be a nurse.

Nursing is a very hard, very under-respected, but often very rewarding job. My mother has been a nurse for many years, and the above line is what she gives to young people looking into that career (including my sister), because sometimes people don't realize everything the job entails. But, if you don't mind those things, and have a deep rooted wish to help people when they are often at their most vulnerable state, then it is a wonderful profession full of many rewards. I can't walk anywhere around our town without bumping into someone who recognizes me (because of our family resemblance) and tells me what a wonderful nurse my mother is, and how she helped so much with the delivery of their baby, or how she taught a woman having trouble with breastfeeding, etc. Good luck with your decision!
#5 Old 07-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Beginner

I've just started my bachelor of nursing a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to actually go out on placements, and in a few years.. graduate woo!

Like Bstutzma said.. as a nurse it isn't your job to give medical advice. You have to be caring, and compassionate towards everyone, regardless of.. well ANYTHING. If you don't think you can do that, then nursing probably isn't for you.
#6 Old 07-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Beginner

I don't think being vegan would interfere with nursing, I think your own personal beliefs are more likely too- keep an open mind
#7 Old 07-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Beginner

I am in nursing school and you can't give any medical advice to others such has not to take this medication, etc. While I was in the hospital I wanted to say something to the ones who didn't care about their health but nurses can't do that. We are there to take care of them and follow doctor's orders. It is a very rewarding career and once you are done with school, there are so many opportunities out there for nurses and nurses are always in demand. You can't push your beliefs on them since there are so many different people out there that you will be taking care of, you just have to roll with the flow and quite a few times I had to keep my mouth shut which was really hard to do.
#8 Old 07-30-2006, 05:29 AM
Beginner

I'm a vegetarian nurse. To answer your first question "would a vegan nurse be able to get a job", the answer is yes. No one asks about your personal eating habits when interviewing for a nurses job.

You have to see if nursing is a fit to your own personaility. Reading your post, it doesn't seem to me that nursing is the right career for you. You goals in your last statement doesn't jive with nursing. There are not many job opportunities in alternative medicine for nurses, although that might be a growing field. I don't know of any nurses doing wildlife stuff.

Perhaps a degree in Vetinary Technology or an alternative medicine degree would help you.

Nursing is a science all in it's own, but is still based on the modern medical model, not the altnerative ones.

Nurses do a lot of teaching, about medications, diet and lifestyle and as was mentioned above, you have to put your own personal lifestyle choices aside and tailor your teaching to the patient....not your own personal beliefs. We also have to look at patients with a nonjudgemental attitude.
#9 Old 07-30-2006, 05:36 AM
Beginner

I'm planning to go to school to be a nurse then to get my master's in midwifery. I would then be a certified nurse midwife. I don't really believe in drugs either and I know I'll have to give them sometimes, but there's just so much you can do with nursing. In fact, I live in FL and here, a nurse has more authority and is allowed to do more than a naturopathic doctor. I think nursing is a really good way to go. You can always work for a holistic place. I work at Hippocrates Health Institute and we have nurses working there.
#10 Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

I have so much trouble not offending meat eaters as it is, I would be nervous about dealing with sick people who were just taking pills instead of fixing the problem. Also, I don't believe in conventional dr's...they are greedy cheaters, for the most part.

I'm a nurse and I can tell you that administering medications to patients is an important part of a nurses day. You would also ocassionally have to feed people meals that contain meat when they are unable to feed themselves. And as for doctors, well, you can't avoid them in nursing so maybe a different career could be on the cards for you

posted by lalajenn:

Quote:
While I was in the hospital I wanted to say something to the ones who didn't care about their health but nurses can't do that. We are there to take care of them and follow doctor's orders.

You can't do that as a student nurse, it would be acting outside your role, but when you are qualified you can talk to patients about their lifestyles and suggest changes they could make, it's just not appropriate to lecture people. Also, thesedays a nurses role is more than just following doctors orders blindly, as is often thought. Sometimes it's perfectly ok to question doctors orders because they occassionally do make mistakes and it's part of a registered nurses responsibility to pick those up. Sometimes doctors will ask for an R.N's input about orders too if they respect their opinion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page