Oscillococcinum - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

I think I'm getting the flu or some kind of something. Has Oscillococcinum ever worked for anyone of Y'all?

Does anyone have any home remedy for bronchial infections? I don't have health insurance, and really can't afford to see a doctor or antibiotics. There has to be an alternative to antibiotics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Banned

If its a viral infection, you won't need antibiotics anyway - the best thing you can do is to drink lots of fluids, particularly hot fluids to help loosen up the phlegm in your lungs. I also like to use an expectorant, because my lungs were damaged by pnemonia when I was young and I have a hard time clearing out chest congestion without it. Doctors often prescribe asthma meds to people with brochitis for the same reason - to help them with the lung clearing process.

If you have a bacterial infection and need antibiotics, there really is nothing you can substitute for it!!! If your illness worsens, is accompanied by high fever or continues for a long period of time, please, don't take your life into your hands for the money.... your life is more important than any amount of money.
#3 Old 02-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

If its a viral infection, you won't need antibiotics anyway - the best thing you can do is to drink lots of fluids, particularly hot fluids to help loosen up the phlegm in your lungs. I also like to use an expectorant, because my lungs were damaged by pnemonia when I was young and I have a hard time clearing out chest congestion without it. Doctors often prescribe asthma meds to people with brochitis for the same reason - to help them with the lung clearing process.

If you have a bacterial infection and need antibiotics, there really is nothing you can substitute for it!!! If your illness worsens, is accompanied by high fever or continues for a long period of time, please, don't take your life into your hands for the money.... your life is more important than any amount of money.

Good advice. There are clinics I could go to. I think Vicks Vapo rub is a God send! That stopped my cough, and the Occo stuff seems to be helping with the fever.
#4 Old 02-26-2006, 04:53 AM
Beginner

I would try Oscillococcinum if I were you but I would also take OLIVE LEAF.

I take it weekly and I have not been sick yet this season. It is truly amazing! It's one of my favorites-its so much better than echinacea.

"Olive Leaf Extract

Olive leaf extract is a potent anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal supplement that has been shown to be effective at boosting the immune response and aiding the body in defending against infections. Two components of olive leaf extract, oleuropein and calcium elenolate, have been shown to be particularly effective at inactivating the viruses that cause colds and flu.

In the late 1960s researchers from the Upjohn Company discovered that the components of olive leaf extract exhibited powerful antibacterial and antiviral effects. Of special interest was an antimicrobial fraction, calcium elenolate, that proved to be lethal to every virus the researchers tested it against. Further research demonstrated that other components of olive leaf extract are toxic to a wide range of bacteria, protozoa, yeasts, parasites and fungi. Most impressively, olive leaf extract was found to effectively inhibit Staphylococcus aureus, a bacteria notorious for its ability to mutate against antibiotics and responsible for many hospital-acquired infections.

Olive leaf extract is a proven antimicrobial substance that is safe for preventive and daily consumption. Olive leaf extracts safety and efficacy has been demonstrated by hundreds of clinicians around the country who have used olive leaf extract to treat their patients with remarkable results."

http://www.vrp.com/art/556.asp
#5 Old 02-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Beginner

Oscillococcinum is homeopathically prepared duck liver. I won't take it for that reason, although I know it is effective.

I think proper nutrition is the key to immune system health & optimum response. I haven't been sick once since I went vegan & stopped relying on packaged foods, & even my mental health is getting better!!

Dairy is a well-known aggravator of immune systems, because so many people are allergic to it & it increases mucus production.
#6 Old 02-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Banned

Duck liver? Man, now I wish I hadn't taken the occos. Oh well, I slept all day today, pumped liquids and took lots of vitamins and ecinacia (sp?) I'm feeling much better.

Thanks for the heads up Organica about the occocs. I had no idea it was made with duck liver!
#7 Old 02-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Beginner

I've taken Zicam nasal spray when I first start feeling sick and it helps... I haven't had a full blown cold or flu in years, just a day or two of not feeling 100%, you know, "pre cold". I do think dairy has something to do with it, though. I stopped getting colds around the same time I gave up dairy.

there are other homepathic remedies like Oscillo but I don't know if they are duck free...
#8 Old 12-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

I am an attorney who is investigating whether there is a good-faith basis for bringing a legal claim against the manufacturer of Oscillococcinum for selling this product to treat the flu. Other than the website for Oscillococcinum, I have not seen any other form of marketing that Boiron has engaged in in the United States regarding this product. If anyone knows of any such marketing, someone who purchased Oscillococcinum because of this marketing, or knows of scientists who can assess the validity of the studies upon which Boiron relies when marketing this product, please let me know. You can respond to me at bcatlin at price-law . com, if you would rather do so privately.

Brad Catlin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page