VeggieBoards banner

High Blood Pressure....at 20:-(

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rainbow_clouds 
#1 ·
I'm so depressed!! There will surely be some ranting to follow....

I went to get birth control pills today (at a different clinic because I have relocated) and they said my blood pressure was too high for them to give the pills to me. My blood pressure was taken several times, by different nurses, and it was through the roof every time!! I think 170-something over 80-100.

I should not be surprised. I've had high blood pressure for a really long time because I am overweight and don't exercise (not currently, anyway). The only time my blood pressure was normal was when I lost 65 pounds two years ago by exercising and eating right. I'm sure it didn't help my heart any when I gained all the weight back. Of course, I am trying to eat better and better on a daily basis, and it's going well for the most part. I know I have to lose the weight regardless, but I want my Pills so I can have sex with my fiance without having to use a stupid condom, thank you! I've been on the same birth control pills for 3 years with no problem, so I did NOT expect to not get them!

It made me feel...like I've failed at simply being a person, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I need to get my blood pressure in check. The whole "getting off my ass everyday and exercising" thing will be hard, but I've done it before and loved it, so I am not worried in the long run. It's just the initial few weeks I will probably struggle the most with.

My diet is not horrible. I don't eat enough fruits or veggies I suppose, but I certainly do not use table salt on anything and I don't smoke and drink. I do eat a lot of canned refried beans and jarred marinara sauce and whatnot, which will have to change.

My dad had high blood pressure, so I know a little bit about it, but I don't know much of anything relating to altering sodium intake for a vegan diet. It *should* be easier for a vegan to lower sodium, right?? I want to lower it pronto!

Is there any sure fire way to fix this...like, now!? It may sound silly, but the idea of not being to have normal, skin to skin sex, until my blood pressure is healthy enough for the Pills, is practically life-threatening to me! It's a huge catylist for me wanting to do something about my health right now, as opposed to "maybe later", like it usually is.

I'm sorry for rambling like crazy, but writing about it in my livejournal just wasn't enough! lol.

But if any of you have some advice for me I would appreciate it to no end. Even if it's just a cyber hug or something, lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, relax... and lots of <<hugs>>... Oh how I understand. I would be frustrated too... though sex with your boyfriend, no matter how wonderful that is, shouldn't be your motivating factor here - your health should be. (Who am I to talk though, I'd be climbing the walls!)

As I think you realize, excercise and diet will play a large part in getting your blood pressure stabilised. I can't give you any quick-fixes because there AREN'T any. I think you know what you need to do and what will work for you.

However - a couple things to be aware of: First of all - High blood pressure is nothing to mess around with!!

However is is frequently misdiagnosed by medical personnell who don't take the time to investigate properly or are too lazy/overworked/rushed/uninformed... this is NOT to say that you shouldn't believe your Doctor. You should. But take responsibility for knowing as much as you can, too...

I have always had normal-to-low blood pressure. However, because of my weight, no one believes this. Whenever I go into a new Doctor's office they don't always believe the reading and often take it a second time, and it then reads a bit "high".... If they take a second reading on the same arm, it is NOT going to be accurate - whether the first reading was high, low or "normal"... don't let them write the second reading in your chart as an accurate blood pressure number... if they must take a second reading, take it on the other arm, that will be accurate.

The old-fashioned blood-pressure cuff that they pump up manually is the only truely accurate method. Many people can get innaccurate (usually way too high) readings from the electronic ones that are so popular in many offices. I have had this happen many times as well and as soon as they check it manually, amazingly enough - my blood pressure measured "normal"...

Ask, no, DEMAND (nicely) that they take your blood pressure the "old fashioned" way. Many nurses don't even know how to do it manually any more, so you may get some resistance, but it is your option to have your blood pressure taken this way if you want...

Learn what is "normal" for you. This is SO important!

Invest in your OWN blood pressure cuff and stethascope and have a qualified person (Doc, nurse, etc.) teach you how to take your own blood pressure. (It's honestly VERY, VERY EASY!!!) You'll then be able to monitor if it goes up at certain times due to stress - like when you head to the Doctor's office, etc... if your blood pressure is reading abnormally high at the Doctor's office, there could be a number of reasons, but you can you can practice stress relieving and relaxation techniques to help it stay "normal" ...

Also, if you have larger upper arms due to fat (me) or large bone structure or lots of muscle tissue, they should be using a large size blood pressure cuff on you. A cuff that is too small will also give an abnormally high readout. If your BP measures higher than you think it should be, ask them to re-take it (on the OTHER ARM!) use a larger cuff. Some places, again, will get lazy and say "Oh, I don't have a larger BP cuff convenient/in this room/etc... let me take it on your forarm." For a larger person, again, a BP reading on your lower arm may very often come out with a falsly high reading...

Be persistant. Have them take it on your UPPER arm, with the proper size cuff (it should WAY WAY overlap when they wrap it around your arm...).

Again, I am NOT saying your Blood Pressure is not high, or that you shouldn't believe the diagnoses, or that you can "trick" medical personnell into getting a lower reading with these techniques... it's just that you need to be as informed as possible and absolutely sure you aren't being diagnosed incorrectly as a result of laziness/innaccurate knowledge on your Health Care Provider's part...

I wish you all the luck in the world.

#3 ·
Thank you so much for the well-informed and sweet reply. I really appreciate it!!

I will try the tricks you have suggested, although I am very worried about my sodium intake as well. I have read that lowering sodium does not change your blood pressure much on it's own, that it must accompany other diet/exercise changes to make a big difference. Whether that is true or not, I still worry about the sodium. On fitday, which I use almost everyday, it says my general sodium intake is above 5000mg! I've read that that is "normal" compared to most American adults, but it is still way too high to be healthy.

Do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions on lowing sodium on a vegan diet?? I would really appreciate it.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliaka View Post

Do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions on lowing sodium on a vegan diet?? I would really appreciate it.
Make food from scratch as often as possible. Sodium is most often high in processed and canned food. If you make most parts yourself, you control exactly how much sodium you put in and it will always be way lower than the processed version.

#5 ·
A high potassium/low sodium diet can lower blood pressure so eat a variety of potassium rich fruits and vegetables-cantaloupe,bananas,spinach,oranges and orange juice,etc.I would eat 5 or more servings a day and add in some exercise-at least 5 days a week.

I would buy dried beans instead of canned so you can control the amount of sodium in them..if you have to use canned,definitely rinse them off first.

#6 ·
I had high blood pressure at a young age too, and I was even quite active and not overweight (underweight even), my doctor said "bad genes." So, you just need to be more careful with your overall health and try to do the things people are suggesting, especially maintaining a good weight for your height and keeping as active as you can. Also, reducing stress as much as possible. So things like yoga, meditation, etc might be helpful.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

The old-fashioned blood-pressure cuff that they pump up manually is the only truely accurate method. Many people can get innaccurate (usually way too high) readings from the electronic ones that are so popular in many offices. I have had this happen many times as well and as soon as they check it manually, amazingly enough - my blood pressure measured "normal"...

Ask, no, DEMAND (nicely) that they take your blood pressure the "old fashioned" way. Many nurses don't even know how to do it manually any more, so you may get some resistance, but it is your option to have your blood pressure taken this way if you want...
Woah... really? I've never had my blood pressure taken any other way than the "old fashion" way. I asked my cousin (who is a nurse) about this and she said her and everyone else she knows only do it the "old fashion" way also.

Quote:
Invest in your OWN blood pressure cuff and stethascope and have a qualified person (Doc, nurse, etc.) teach you how to take your own blood pressure. (It's honestly VERY, VERY EASY!!!)
Yeah, it is easy. I did it as part of a biology lab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.