Allergic to Nutritional Yeast? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Beginner

Ok, so my question is as follows.....

I took an allergy test and found out I was allergic to baker's and brewer's yeast. First off, what is the difference between baker's, brewer's and nutritional yeasts? ( I have done countless google/ask searches and have not recieved any straightforward information )

Next, What are the sources of each of the yeasts? And wouldn't yeast consumption be bad for the digestive tract? So why does everybody eat nutritional yeast ( I have read the posts of everyone being addicted to punckmommies nacho cheeeeeze, hahah its funny).

I am curious because i purchase a wheat free/yeast free bread and on their website it says that yeast free is better because yeast causes many digestive problems, and food with yeast are harder to breakdown. What is everyone else's opinion on this? Is it safe for me to eat nutritional yeast if I am allergic to baker's and brewer's yeast? Thanks for everyone's help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Beginner

I was wondering the same thing the other day!
#3 Old 12-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Beginner

22 views, and no replies :: ::
#4 Old 12-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Beginner

I'm guessing that no one so far knows, and that's why so few replies.

Have you thought about asking a doctor? They are pretty good with that kind of stuff.
#5 Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Sorry, I don't know.

But I DO know that my doctor told me that she always recommends that her female patients skip all yeast breads. She's found that those who avoid them end up with far fewer yeast infections. I didn't ask her about nutritional yeast, though (she probably wouldn't know what it is, actually).
#6 Old 12-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Beginner

Could be completely wrong here, but isnt the difference between nutritional yeast and say brewers/bakers yeast. That nutritional yeast is inactive? It clearly says on the front of my nutritional yeast flakes that they unlike other yeasts are inactive. Could be way off there though.
#7 Old 12-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Banned

You just need to put a little yogurt on it. (What were we talking about?)

...Nutritional Yeast is the only Vegan source of B12. But it's not necessarily even that great of one.

You can get your B12 from pills, and fortified Soymilk, etc. You don't have to risk life and death to use Nutritional Yeast.

It's microbial, and other than that I don't know. I really don't know what triggers a yeast allergy, and whether Nutritional Yeast would aggravate it.
#8 Old 12-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Beginner

I honestly have no idea what triggers specifically my yeast allergy either. I found out that i was allergic to bakers/brewers yeast the same time i found out i was allergic to wheat, so I gave up all of them. Basically, I wouldn't know how to differentiate between the reactions I recieved from any of the foods I was eating because I gave them all up at once

Like I honestly know I don't NEED nutritional yeast. But it is more of a curiosity, not only to know that I have the option to eat it if i would like, and to see what everyone is talking about with those nacho things

Vheogl, you may be onto something. I will look into "yeast activity" to see if nutritional yeast is truly inactive while the others are active. I'll keep ya'll posted!!!!

Thanks for the tips, and keep them coming please
#9 Old 12-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

Like I honestly know I don't NEED nutritional yeast. But it is more of a curiosity, not only to know that I have the option to eat it if i would like, and to see what everyone is talking about with those nacho things

...Maybe you can risk it all, and give it a try. Just like that Jeff Bridges character in Fearless with the Strawberries.
#10 Old 12-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Beginner

I know I could do that, but generally speaking, my body is alot weaker than others. I get a cold and runny nose every week on the same day, no fail for the past 6 months. I have a list of food allergies and some of them may not cause a bad reaction but the tests showed it.. So i'd rather not try something that could hurt me internally in some way, even though I won't notice any obvious reaciton. But thanks for the suggestion . btw, what is fearless? a movie?
#11 Old 12-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Beginner

this should answer your questions:

http://www.foodsubs.com/LeavenYeast.html

Quote:
brewer's yeast Notes: This inactive yeast is rich in protein and B vitamins, and it's used a nutritional supplement. It's a by-product of beer-making, which gives it a slightly bitter flavor. If you object to the bitterness, try nutritional yeast, which is made from the same yeast strain but grown on molasses. It's more expensive but has a more pleasant flavor. You can also buy debittered brewer's yeast. Brewer's yeast comes powdered (the most potent form), in flakes (best for health shakes), and in tablets. Don't confuse this with active forms of yeast, like the kinds bakers, brewers, and winemakers use. If you eat them, active yeasts will continue to grow in your intestine, robbing your body of valuable nutrients. Substitutes: nutritional yeast (better, nuttier flavor, lighter color) OR yeast extract

Quote:
nutritional yeast Equivalents: 1 tablespoon powdered = 2 tablespoons flakes Notes: This nutritional supplement has a pleasant nutty-cheesy flavor and is packed with protein and B vitamins. It comes in flakes or powder and is popular with vegans and health buffs who use it to make cheese substitutes, gravies, and many other dishes. It's also a great topping for popcorn. Nutritional yeast is very similar to brewer's yeast, which is also used as a nutritional supplement and is made from the same strain of yeast. The difference is that brewer's yeast is a by-product of beer production and retains some of the bitter flavor of hops. Don't confuse nutritional yeast, which is deactivated, with active forms of yeast, like the kinds bakers, brewers, and winemakers use. If you eat them, active yeasts will continue to grow in your intestine, robbing your body of valuable nutrients. Look for nutritional yeast at health food stores. Get fortified nutritional yeast if you're taking it as a source of vitamin B12. Substitutes: brewer's yeast (inferior flavor, darker color) OR Parmesan cheese (as a condiment; higher in fat, less nutritious) OR wheat germ (works well in baked goods or sprinkled on cereals) OR yeast extract

#12 Old 12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

Sorry, I don't know.

But I DO know that my doctor told me that she always recommends that her female patients skip all yeast breads. She's found that those who avoid them end up with far fewer yeast infections. I didn't ask her about nutritional yeast, though (she probably wouldn't know what it is, actually).

that's weird. you can get vaginal bacterial infections as well.

drink a beer & eat some yogurt, and it's all good.
#13 Old 12-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Beginner

Oh Amy,

Thanks so much, that was very good information.

I don't think i am so scared to give it a try now. Since i know it is inactive and that it is from molasses as opposed to beer (i cant have beer or any like products because barley is used and whatever). Thanks

Next question...what causes allergies..like why the hell do i have a yeast allergy of all things. I've never had a yeast infection of any sort, so why a yeast allergy?????

Thanks agian amy
#14 Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Beginner

oooh good luck. I really dont' know much about yeast allergies, to be honest. google "causes of yeast allergy" or "yeast sensitivity" and you get a LOT of results - skim through them and see if anythign makes sense for your experiences.

good luck
#15 Old 12-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Beginner

Could beer lead to yeast infections?
#16 Old 12-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Beginner

I highly doubt it - unless you're drinking cases & cases of bottle-conditioned beer and all the yeast that settles to the bottom of the bottle, or something. you have to consume a lot of yeast for it to trigger a yeast infection...
#17 Old 12-09-2005, 05:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

btw, what is fearless? a movie?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0106881/

...A pretty good movie actually.
#18 Old 12-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMary View Post

Could beer lead to yeast infections?

No idea about girlie yeast infections, but when I got my tongue pierced I was told not to drink beer for three months afterwards because I could get a yeast infection (thrush, I think it's called when it's in your mouth)--yuck! Of course, being stupid, I drank it anyways, and even though I ate yogurt before I went to bed (I thought I was so clever) my tongue was super sore for the next couple of days (and no, I wasn't doing anything else with it besides drinking beer!). That happened every time I drank beer for about a year after I pierced my tongue. It was weird. And I blame yeast.
#19 Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Beginner

hey duck,

What are/were your symptoms? I'm interested in finding out more about this yeast allerty/intolerance thing. I was starting to think I have a wheat intolerance but now I am wondering if it isn't yeast instead. My 'net searches have been widely variable.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page