Residual Anxiety - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Beginner

My anxiety was almost cured by Effexor, but I had to quit it because it made me obese.

My life has become so good, great bf & job, but it's still hard to get over residual anxiety.

I don't have severe panic attacks like I used to, but I still get these waves of unease & dread, & have trouble functioning normally.

I am going to see a psychologist Monday.

I'm taking adrenal support herbs, a multi, B12, Cal/Mag, chromium & l-theanine now, & work out regularly.

I am conerned because the anxiety makes me act weird, like paranoia, poor hygeine, odd speech, extreme tiredness (visible to onlookers).

I'm not sure what to do next.

If the psychologist proposes Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or going back on Effexor, I'll have to quit, because the former does nothing & the latter made me gain 10 lbs a month.

I feel sad that my life is so good but I still feel this way.

I still think about suicide, despite having the best bf & job I've ever had.

I'm confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Beginner

Ok, no one can help I guess. I'll go away now.
#3 Old 10-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Beginner

you might have to wait long enough for people to respond before you assume that you should go away.

first, i'm glad to see that you're back around and i'm glad that things are going well for you.

second, i would see if there is something similar to effexor out on the market that wuold not have the same side effects that you had on the drug. certainly, it's probably in a class or group of drugs, or perhaps a different dosage would have the same positive effect without the same negative effect. truly, i do not know anything about these drugs and how they work or what alternatives exist--but surely there is something that will work for you.

third, while C-B therapy does work, admittedly it's nto for everyone. i remember when you were first here i recommended another form of therapy that you might want to try--one that my aunt who is a psychologist specializes in. she's involved with the Masterson Institute. I mentioned your situation to her before, and she feels that C-B therapy doesn't go deep enough to work through the underlying anxiety. This form of therapy is more difficult, but it also has more lasting results--in her opinion and experience.

perhaps you can learn about some of their methodologies and determine whether or not it will help or bring it as a suggestion to your new psychologist.

finally, i want to reiterate that i'm really glad that you're back and that you're doing much better.
#4 Old 10-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much Zoebird.

I will refer my new psychologist tomorrow to the Masterson website & ask specifically if we can do psychoanalytically-based work.

YOur suggestions are very helpful to me; I found Shambhala extremely beneficial & I am still a practitioner, although I have lost the Halifax Shambhala community by moving.

I apologize for being annoying by starting this thread but it's very hard to talk about these things in rl, with people like my old dietitian & psychiatrist who say things like I should eat meat & I would feel better, or gaining 10 lbs a month on a drug is a small price to pay.

Sorry. I just don't have the friends in my life that a "normal" mentally ill woman would, & my family ignores me, so I have to voice things online when they get too upsetting.

Yesterday was a bad day.

Thank you zoebird.
#5 Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Beginner

well, it's part of what being online is for. there's nothing wrong with starting a thread that helps you air out some of your frustrations, among other things. i mean, a lot of people use it for that.

i think it's more like, just because no one answers right away doesnt' mean that no one's reading it, thinking about it, or even online soon enough to respond. i've been very very busy lately, so it's hard for me to get online, to answer all the posts that i want to, etc.

i'm glad, though, that you are in a better place. Did you find a job in broadcasting, finally? is that what brought about the move? I'm glad that you like shambhala practice too. it can be very helpful.
#6 Old 10-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Beginner

Hi,

I also struggle with panic attacks and anxiety. I have for almost 14 years. It's a horrible thing to go through. For a whole year I did nothing but sit in the house thinking I was going to die. I tried a cocktail of drugs only to get addicted to xanax and that was not fun. tried the psychologists, tried everything. Today I have learned that you have to find your own way to deal with them and the situations that they (panic attacks) put you in. Mine are not as severe anymore because I use to fear having a panic attack which in turn would give me a panic attack. It's a vicious cycle. If I start to get that "unreality" feeling I step outside and get some fresh air. Or I pick up the phone and talk!! If it's full blown then I come home and rest it off. I know they are not going to kill me and they will pass ...some longer than others but they always go away. I get really bad PMS so they tend to rear their ugly heads more often around that time. Never plan anything special around those days!!! feel free to PM me any time with questions or if you just want to talk.

Lori
#7 Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Beginner

The other thing to consider from some of us is, like myself, that I'm not qualified to respond with helpful suggestions. I don't know anything about the problem, what works for it herbally or pharmaceutically, or what alternatives there are therapy-wise. Zoebird seems to have offered the best help so far, but boards certainly can be aggravating for geting a "timely" response

I am curious if a herbalist/naturopath would help in any way?

namaste,

Eric
#8 Old 12-18-2005, 06:56 AM
Beginner

Organica,

I have posted several messages to people already about Thought Field Therapy, but if you have not seen them then here goes.

Thought Field Therapy saved me from anxiety, panic attacks and phobias several years ago. I tried everything else available out there (although not Effexor, thank God my doctor never offered me that) I was ready to give up on the idea that I would ever be better, when I discovered TFT. I went for one session with a therapist and walked out without several fears and anxieties that I had gone in with. The panic attacks stopped too and even the fear of having one again. The therapy works within minutes. Negative emotions are just simply switched off fast, like they were never there in the first place. It is wierd but it works. All you have to do is think about your distressing thoughts and tap various points on your body. The anxiety, fear or whatever just vanishes.

I recommend it for anybody who has negative emotions, be they anxiety, fear, trauma, depression, addiction or any other. It works for every kind of issue.

Don't suffer; you don't need to.

let me know if you want any more info.

Ildiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

My anxiety was almost cured by Effexor, but I had to quit it because it made me obese.

My life has become so good, great bf & job, but it's still hard to get over residual anxiety.

I don't have severe panic attacks like I used to, but I still get these waves of unease & dread, & have trouble functioning normally.

I'm taking adrenal support herbs, a multi, B12, Cal/Mag, chromium & l-theanine now, & work out regularly.

I am conerned because the anxiety makes me act weird, like paranoia, poor hygeine, odd speech, extreme tiredness (visible to onlookers).

If the psychologist proposes Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or going back on Effexor, I'll have to quit, because the former does nothing & the latter made me gain 10 lbs a month.

I'm confused.

#9 Old 12-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Beginner

Hi Ildiko: I have seen you mention this topic before but I didn't inquire about it, mistakenly (I presume) thinking it was some other kind of/name for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

I am very interested, if you want to post a few details or links.

Thanks very much.
#10 Old 12-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Beginner

Hi Organica,

TFT is nothing like any other available type of psychotherapy. www.tftemotionalhealing.co.uk will give you a lot of information. I have seen amazing results with this treatment, especially with anxiety.

best wishes

Ildiko

Quote:

Hi Ildiko: I have seen you mention this topic before but I didn't inquire about it, mistakenly (I presume) thinking it was some other kind of/name for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

I am very interested, if you want to post a few details or links.

Thanks very much.

#11 Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I'm confused.

I completely understand what you are going through. I have not been diagnosed with Anxiety, mostly because my mother thinks im over reacting, but I am positive I have it. I definetely get panic attacks, which I believe began when i was 10 years old, I'm now 15 and they are just as bad as ever. I'm always worrying about something, and the panic attacks are insane. It just makes my life a thousand times more stressful then it should be, so i understand how it is affecting you. I'd love to give you advice, but honestly, i am in need of advice as badly as you are. So I'll be hanging around here for a while in search of it with you. bye.
#12 Old 12-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Beginner

Hi Ramona,

please do have look at what TFT can do for you, it could be the answer to a lot of questions. You'rs 15 now, you don't want to go through your life with this debilitating problem. You can always ask me any questions, but I would honestly recommend it. No medication is involved and you are put in control of your own situation unlike with some other therapies.

Hope this helps.

Ildiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post

I completely understand what you are going through. I have not been diagnosed with Anxiety, mostly because my mother thinks im over reacting, but I am positive I have it. I definetely get panic attacks, which I believe began when i was 10 years old, I'm now 15 and they are just as bad as ever. I'm always worrying about something, and the panic attacks are insane. It just makes my life a thousand times more stressful then it should be, so i understand how it is affecting you. I'd love to give you advice, but honestly, i am in need of advice as badly as you are. So I'll be hanging around here for a while in search of it with you. bye.

#13 Old 12-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Beginner

In many cases, it's worth the weight gain to have some peace of mind.

It definitely was for my mom. She gained a good chunk of weight (it did eventually level off -- it's not like you gain that weight for the entire time you're on the drug, but it does come on rather quickly like you described), but she no longer wants to hurt herself or spends weeks depressed and unable to function. She decided that the trade off was worth it.

At first the weight gain really did bother her, but as she became more and more mentally well, she realized that her weight really didn't have much to do with her overall happiness. That's a possible outcome for you, as well.

By all means check out the alternatives listed for you here, but don't let a fear of weight gain ruin your chances of being happier. And if you're worried about what your bf will think, I'm sure talking it over with him will assuage your fears.

My dad is just as much in love with my mom with the weight gain as he was without. And he's *much* happier that she's happy now. That's all that's ever been important to him.
#14 Old 12-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildiko View Post

I have posted several messages to people already about Thought Field Therapy....

Yes, you have. You joined 12 days ago and all you have posted in that time is 13 messages about this weird 'therapy'. Your username is also from the TFT website.

Are you just here to spruik? Because it is extremely rude and wrong to come into threads where people are truly and genuinely searching for help and start tyying to sell some fruitloop therapy to them.
#15 Old 12-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Beginner

Dear Descentia,

if you have actually read what I have written you will notice that I was a sufferer of anxiety and panic attacks BEFORE I started helping people. Also you obviously have not tried anything that TFT have to offer, whereas I have. It is up to people to try a newly available therapy and make up their own minds about its benefits.

Best wishes and a happy 2006

Ildiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descentia View Post

Yes, you have. You joined 12 days ago and all you have posted in that time is 13 messages about this weird 'therapy'. Your username is also from the TFT website.

Are you just here to spruik? Because it is extremely rude and wrong to come into threads where people are truly and genuinely searching for help and start tyying to sell some fruitloop therapy to them.

#16 Old 12-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Ildiko is genuine.

The therapy she speaks of is not fruitloop. Since she spoke about it first, I have been researching and experimenting with it, and I asked a friend to test a couple of things as well that Ildiko explained here and privately by e-mail.

Seems like her system works. To what extent and degree and permanency I cannot vouch for, but what I have seen so far has been impressive, and my friend if they were a member here would say the same.

She has not asked me for one single penny for all the time she took. I live in another country and she knows very well I'm not going to travel to visit her. She's not here to recruit anyone or get rich. She's just here to offer her experience.

But if people prefer to screw themselves up with chemical stuff instead of first looking at other alternatives, well, they're free to do it. It is not illegal to screw oneself up.

I'm not stating that this system will work for everyone. I'm not an expert. But why not give it a try? What the heck do you have to lose?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page