Repairing a damaged stomach lining - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Beginner

Hi everyone!

I need some nutritional advice... I have a friend who has stomach problems (IBS type symptoms) mostly because he has severely damaged his stomach lining from excessive drinking of alcohol. Are there any supplements/foods that could help him repair his damaged stomach? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

~Julie

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Beginner

raw yogurt and kefir with active cultures.
#3 Old 09-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Beginner

Well...I had a horrible case of acid reflux, which as far as the stomach is concerned, is probably what you're talking about. I had been taking Zantac 75, which worked at first, but stopped working all together when the pain got worse. As a last resort I went to the doctor and she gave me a perscription for Ranididine, which is a very large dose of the same stuff in the Zantac. What it does is actually HEAL the stomach lining and repair all the damage done. I know you didn't ask for medicinal advice, but it worked for me so well!
#4 Old 09-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Beginner

Slippery Elm Bark and Non-DGL Licorice. Taken before meals and before bed. Coats the stomach and intestines.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 09-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Beginner

Digestive enzymes taken with meals, Dophilus Plus (all the helpful bacteria that is found in yogurt in a pill) on an empty stomach (before bed or before breakfast) and peppermint tea all help. I've been stomach issues myself, and all 3 have been helping.

#6 Old 09-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Beginner

Shouldn't this be the sort of situation where a doctor could really be helpful?
#7 Old 09-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Beginner

when i had an ulcer, i was drinking lots of peppermint tea after my meals. this eased the pain a bit, as peppermint supposedly eases the stomach muscles.
#8 Old 09-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Shouldn't this be the sort of situation where a doctor could really be helpful?

I agree. This sounds like a really serious problem.
#9 Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Beginner

Thank you for all the suggestions... I will pass these on to my friend.

I agree that a doctor could be really helpful, but this friend of mine still lives with his parents and is unemployed/no insurance, and his parents are completely insane and don't think he needs a doctor so they won't pay for it. If it's any indication how messed up these people are, his mom wouldn't even take his grandma to the ER when she was having chest pains and she ended up dying of a heart attack.

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#10 Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Sorry, old thread that I guess some spam bumped and I decided to blab away...
#11 Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Beginner

old health thread
#12 Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Beginner

Barley grass is better than any of the pharmaceutical medication I have ever been prescribed. I ran out 2 weeks ago and thought I would try the prescribed medicine and I now have chronic cough, sore stomach (acid burns) lethargy and poor complexion, Have just bought a supply of barley grass and will never return to my prescribed medication as  I never had any of these symptons with barley grass - my complexion was complimented on repeatedly.

Annesar

Oxford UK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page