Nutrients of raw vs cooked food - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Beginner

After I started my get taller thread I went on a lower carb diet. Having about 1-5 servings of grain products. No junk food so far except for 1 donut. Anyways I decided to purchase some fresh vegetables to make salad. I found that eating salad it made me a fuller sort of feeling kind of like eating meat/cheese but not really. I assume because raw vegetables take longer to digest than cooked as cooking softens the vegetables. Since cooking softens the vegetables it should be easier to digest and therefore maybe even healthier than cooked vegetables. If the water is used in a soup from cooked vegetables would the nutrients be nearly as much as fresh vegetables or would the nutrients evaporate/disappear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Beginner

Some vitamins and minerals are better processed when some foods are raw, some foods do better cooked. Fruits and vegetables in general tend to digest fast because they're mostly water. (The fiber helps you feel fuller, however) Boiling vegetables kills the most nutrients.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 08-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Beginner

Oh thanks I think the full filling may be due to the fibre. Cooked vegetables have the same fibre as the same raw vegetable right? I assume the fibres get softened when they cook. I usually feel better when I eat cooked vegetables and fruits instead of raw ones. I wondering if it had to be because it is easier to digest, softer, I like the taste better.
#4 Old 08-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Beginner

There are arguments as to whether raw or cooked food vegetables are better for you. IMO, whichever form makes it so you enjoy your vegetables and eat enough of them in the day is better for you. When you are cooking vegetables however, its best to steam or stir fry, not boil (as I mentioned before). Also, you shouldn't cook them 'til they're soggy, just 'til they're tender crisp. I personally don't digest raw food very well, so I tend not to eat much of it. (with the exception of fruit, which suits me fine)

#5 Old 08-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Beginner

Oh thanks. I read on a website unfortunately I forget which one that said that people who eat 3-4 servings of raw vegetables a week have on average 50% less cancer risk than those who don't. I remember ads on television that said people should eat 5-10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day most should be fresh. I was thinking there shouldn't be much difference between fresh raw and cooked vegetables other than some nutrients being lost in cooked vegetables. Canned and frozen are far less healthy in my opinion as they have more chemicals, sugar and salt and may be cooked at high heat so much less nutrients remain. I agree about cooking foods little not until they are mushy. I think hospitals do that make them mushy so it is easier for people to chew and digest.
#6 Old 08-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Beginner

Canned and frozen fruits and vegetables, as long as they're not drowned in sauces and butters, can be plenty nutritious. Actually, in a lot of cases they're better than the fruits/veggies "fresh" at the store, because the fruits/veggies they use for freezing and canning are picked at the peak of being ripe. Fruits/Veggies at the store are usually picked UNDERRIPE and allowed to ripen on the long trip to the grocery store.

#7 Old 08-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Beginner

Thanks. I thought that canned/frozen fruits and vegetables wouldn't be as healthy because of the heat for canned foods and have lots of salt/sugar for preservation and frozen foods although healthier than canned have chemicals added.
#8 Old 08-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Beginner

If you aren't buying local produce, frozen veggies have the most vitamins as they are "flash frozen" shortly after being harvested.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page