Getting up too fast and dizziness: Cause for concern? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-24-2005, 04:32 PM

Hello fellow Veg Heads,

I dont know if this problem is related in any way to my diet or what, but when I get up too fast from a seated or laying position, I immediately feel dizzy. This is a random thing, but happens enough to be labeled as "one of those things that happens" in my mind.

It hasnt been too serious, though on one occasion I did faint (I had just had my wisdom teeth pulled at the time and thoughtif that was the reason). That was about a year ago, and didnt really give it much thought.

Until today, when I came REALLY close to fainting after jumping up out of bed (experienced my brain slowing down, as if in a dream state, very weird stuff!). I'm just curious if anyone else out there is experiencing the same thing, what causes it, and if its related to diet in any way.

Thanks in advance for any help!

p.s. sorry for the grammer mistake in my subject. I must still be feeling the effects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2005, 04:40 PM

this happens to me. sometimes i even lose my vision for a second or two. i think it happens more when i need to eat, but i'm not sure. i know that when i was very sick and couldn't keep any food down, it was pretty bad.
#3 Old 07-24-2005, 05:29 PM

A while ago I was feeling a bit weird (mostly just a slight tension or rush feeling) after getting up from being seated for too long. That was this spring for a while when I had this soft recliner thing I was lying on at the computer and it was quite a bit lower than a chair. Now that I'm back in a chair I haven't noticed anything much but I still get up a bit slower than I used to just because I didn't like that weird feeling.

When you are sitting for a while you aren't really doing a lot of activity so your heart is beating at a lower level. If you stand up fast , the blood may not reach your brain as quickly as it has been and it can take a moment for the heart to get beating to get the blood up to your head.

I've read that athletes who often have resting pulse rates around 45 (mines currently 66 which I guess isn't bad for my lifestyle) or lower can have this happen even more since their hearts beat less per minute (since their hearts are more efficient they can do more work per beat) and so standing up will create an even longer gap where the heart has to start beating more.
#4 Old 07-24-2005, 05:31 PM
MEM

actually, this is a fairly common occurance with some people. The way it was explained to me in biotechnology class was that blood is not dispersed equally throughout your whole body, it goes to the areas its needed to complete the task that you're doing at the moment. When you get up too fast, the dizzyness occuring is from the blood rushing to the areas needed to get up and move around. It's not something to be too concerned about, just get up more slowly and you should be fine. Sorry if this explanation is a bit vague, college was several years ago.
#5 Old 07-24-2005, 06:16 PM

It's the low blood pressure. If you have low blood pressure, it can take a minute for your body to catch up when you stand up.

It's probably nothing to worry about, but exercise can help, too.
#6 Old 07-24-2005, 06:16 PM

it happens to my mom and my siblings and i. we've always been told its low blood pressure. i do even lose my vision for a second sometimes. It like, fades to black and back again.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 07-24-2005, 06:20 PM

low blood pressure makes sense with the needing to eat.
#8 Old 07-24-2005, 08:53 PM

As soon as you feel it coming on, tilt your head as low as you can. If you want to look up more information on it, the medical term for it is orthostatic hypotension. My family has it, too. There's not a lot that can be done except take precautions.
#9 Old 07-24-2005, 11:48 PM

Yup, I would agree it sounds like low blood pressure.

Whenever I get anaemic, my blood pressure drops and whenever I get too hot, hungry and have to stand for long periods of time, I get dizzy. Standing up quickly brings light-headedness, a bit of nausea, and loss of vision. Sometimes I've fainted. Best thing to do is get checked out. Don't know why you'd have low blood pressure. Take it easy when standing up. Steady yourself, take deep breaths. Make sure you are eating enough and often enough and try not to get over-heated.
#10 Old 07-25-2005, 08:59 AM

The heat definitely cause some issues for me. I have gotten heat stroke before too. During the summer when it gets above 90 my head sometimes feels really wierd & I have to bend over for a few seconds & slowly come back up.
#11 Old 07-25-2005, 02:09 PM

that used to happen to me, but lately it hasnt. ... i dotn know why it did/isnt now.
#12 Old 07-25-2005, 02:11 PM

This happens to me occasionally, and I've noticed no increase/decrease in frequency since going veg.
#13 Old 07-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Kyo

It happens to me once in a while. It seems to be more likely to happen when it's hot, when I haven't eaten for a long time and after a lot of physical activity and I'm really tired. I talked to a doctor about it and he said not to worry; it happens to a lot of people, especially tall people. When I stand up the blood pressure in my head drops for a short time.

I sometimes get up real fast and I try to remember to get up more slowly after a lot of activity. That's easier said than done though.
#14 Old 07-25-2005, 08:03 PM

this can be caused by many things... low blood pressure low blood sugar dehydration. Many things can cause this but it seems as i have looked aover the boards it seems as if most of us are a young to me anything under 75 is young. most of being healthy a somwhat health state should be able to deal with our blood pressure. Now not enough water is a bad thing an can cause this and not enough glucose. But one of the main factors to look at in this sinerio is the lenth of time you have been sitting and the postion. because as we sit or lay in funny ways the boold is pooling in our lower body and not curcutaling at full speed so to speak and then you get up quickly and cause a big rush and pressure release wich can may you dizzy while you bidy trys to equalize. there is also an inner ear thinf that can cause this to happen it is somewhat like an ear infection but it doesnt really cuse a lot of pain but does throw off your equilibrium when you go from sitting to standing there is a relatily cheap and painless cure so if it last for to long just go to your doc. your ear will heal but it does take time. you can also go tothe drug store and get a antiemetic and take it for about 2week but you have to be carful if you drive or have other healt problems . also getting up slower helps go from laying to sitting then standing letting your body ajust.
#15 Old 07-25-2005, 08:56 PM

Me too - low blood pressure and anemia are definitely the culprits for me - both of which my Doc keeps an eye on...

I'm sure the fact that I often forget to eat a meal doesn't help either...
#16 Old 07-26-2005, 02:01 AM

Thanks for the info LQQK! Very informative. I'm a musician, and notice that my ears dont feel right lately. Perhaps that, when combined with sitting in weird positions (I always like to be scrunched up) might be the culprit.

And thanks everyone for showing me that I am not alone. Fainting friends unite!
#17 Old 07-26-2005, 09:33 AM

i used to get it all the time before i found out i was hypothyroid and started taking meds. once i was on the meds it wasn't happening as much. then when i went vegan it started up again. i find if i take my B12 and am eating enough it stops, if i get lazy and am not eating enough calories and forgetting my supplements it starts up again.

i think low thyroxin, low B12 and lack of calories are all things that probably contribute to low blood pressure. when i went and saw a trainer though he said my blood pressure was low but healthy. so i dunno maybe when i haven't eaten it gets low enough to make me black out like that.

so yeah there's 3 things you can check into if you're really worried, have you had your thyroid tested lately, are you eating enough calories, are you taking a multi vitamin or at least a B12 supp.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#18 Old 07-26-2005, 11:02 AM

I've had that my whole life -- and I've always had low blood pressure and anemia -- so I doubt it's my diet (16.5 years omni, 10.5 years veg, same symptoms).

That said, when I'm good and taking my vitamins, it tends to pass faster. And it almost never happens in the winter; it's very much a hot weather occurence for me.
#19 Old 07-26-2005, 06:01 PM

I've had this problem before and after passing out a few times from it, I've learned to take my time getting out of bed. I sit up for a few minutes before I stand up. Making sure I've been enough enough and getting enough rest (it happens sometimes when I don't get enough rest) helps.
#20 Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 PM

I have the same problem as well.

Kind regards,

Josef

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page