BHT in product packaging? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2005, 11:14 PM

I bought a box of Post Corn Flakes and in the ingredients it lists "BHT (used in product packaging to retain freshness)". So does it infiltrate the food?

Should I even worry about BHT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-05-2005, 07:08 PM

For me, BHT is on my "avoid it if I can" list. It's an unnatural chemical, so there is no way it is good for you, but I also don't think I will drop dead from eating a box of corn flakes. If I have a choice, I will go for the non BHT product, but sometimes I cannot avoid it and don't really stress over it.

I read that it is a banned substance in England, and that some studies have shown negative side effects when taken in large doses. How much BHT ends up inside you from the packaging is debatable (and probably how the corporations got the FDA to approve it in America).

A bigger issue for me is the simple fact that BHT is completely unncessary. If your corn flakes did not have BHT, they *might* not taste fresh if you opened the box in 5 years.... I think the real issue is that companies can save money on crappy packaging by using the BHT to compensate. Just another example of the corporate world saving a few cents off the backs of our health, while the government turns a blind eye.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page