please help me with my nipple piercing! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-08-2005, 07:16 AM

I have a wicked infection in my left nipple piercing. It began with rough play, then about a week later it started to hurt and puss a little. Now it's hurting and pussing A LOT. Wearing a bra or any clothing is very uncomfortable. It's been almost 3 weeks since the initial rough play. Now this morning my son landed on it when jumping on me in bed to wake me up. It bled a little and the pain was enough to bring me to tears. I've been soaking it in (non iodized sea) salt water 3 times a day. I'm following all the guidelines as far as I can tell from doing google searches. What more can I do? I don't want to lose my piercing(s). I have had them since August 2004 (not quite a year).

Someone please reassure me that it's going to be okay!

ETA: I have barbells, not rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned

Have you gone to the doctor? An infection is serious. An infection on your NIPPLE is very serious.

Get thee to a doctor. Now.
#3 Old 06-08-2005, 07:31 AM

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow. *sigh*

#4 Old 06-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Banned

I worked with a girl that ended up having to lose her piercing b/c an infection wouldn't clear up. It's a delicate part of your body.
#5 Old 06-08-2005, 08:24 AM

I recommend swinging by your piercer before your doctor's appointment. Often, they know more about how to treat it than a doctor would (to treat it *and* save the piercing).

Do you use an anti-microbial soap? Our piercer sells "Silk anti-Microbial" soap. This is the soap that they recommend for intitial healing as well as minor infections. This soap is not as harsh as antibacterial and it actually 'gets' more microbes that could be causing the infection. The soap is 'softening' so it doesn't over-dry the piercing, which could cause a problem.

I had to loose both of my nipple piercings due to migration. I had an apprentice change my jewelry (from barbells to rings) and she couldn't manage the titanium. She ended up pulling so hard on the rings to close them that within a few weeks, they had migrated nearly out. My piercer removed them for me, and we may get them re-done. I don't know though. THere's a lot of scar tissue. It is a difficult loss--i completely understand that!
#6 Old 06-08-2005, 08:42 AM

Zoebird, thanks. I'll try to make the trip downtown Mpls tonight to my piercing parlor. I've never used any kind of anti microbial soap on them because my piercer didn't recommend it for healing.

I've heard people mention migration before when talking about piercings. What makes a piercing migrate?
#7 Old 06-08-2005, 09:05 AM

that happened to mine

i but rubbing alcohol on them, and hyrogen peroxide which i know isnt reccommended then i would clean it with provon which is what i use for all mine. it worked for me took about 2 weeks though!
#8 Old 06-08-2005, 09:27 AM

I've used Tea Tree Oil on my traguses when one of them got infected, and the infection was gone in 2 days. They were pretty bad too.......but if you've had an infection for 3 weeks, I think you might need an antibiotic.
#9 Old 06-08-2005, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

Zoebird, thanks. I'll try to make the trip downtown Mpls tonight to my piercing parlor. I've never used any kind of anti microbial soap on them because my piercer didn't recommend it for healing.

I've heard people mention migration before when talking about piercings. What makes a piercing migrate?

I pierced my belly button back when I was skinny minny. It migrated to the surface...I could literally see the barbell through my skin. I think most of the time it's because the piercing wasn't deep enough to begin with, or the skin simply starts to reject the piercing.

I didn't know you had your nips pierced Now that would have been a meetup topic ! Good luck at the Dr!
#10 Old 06-08-2005, 09:46 AM

SallyK, sucks for your infection, but you're one rad chick...I must say

(Random)

Cheers!
#11 Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

I recommend swinging by your piercer before your doctor's appointment. Often, they know more about how to treat it than a doctor would (to treat it *and* save the piercing).

I agree 110%. In my experience I've found that doctors often have the "well, that's what you get for mutilating your body!" attitude and then they just tell you to take it out and give you some antibiotics.. in which case, there could be a chance of the piercing closing before the incfection clears, leading to an abcess.. which is why you definitely don't want to take out the jewelry before the infection is fully healed.

Hmm.. it's strange that the seal salt soaks haven't been working for you.. whenever I have a problem, the soaks usually start to improve it within a day or two, but everyone's body heals differently. Hmm, what ratio of salt to water do you use? Are you using distilled water? What material and gauge are your barbells? Are they straight or curved? But anyway.. definitely have a talk with your piercer asap! Good luck Sally, I know just how painful and frustrating infections can be, you have my sympathy.
#12 Old 06-08-2005, 10:12 AM

my dr had the opposite reaction to that, when my navel piercing got infected.she told me NOT to takeit out - it was too cool to do so, and gave me an antibiotic ointment and oral antibiotic (my infection was causing a fever).

then she asked me when i was getting my nose pierced XD
#13 Old 06-08-2005, 10:24 AM

What sucks is that it seems to get better but then after all day of being smooshed up in a bra or my son doing a dead man drop on it, it get worse again.

When I first had them done, I was told to use the same water that my body is used to drinking and bathing in rather than distilled water. Apparently they heal better that way. I wonder if it's different for an infection?

I'm pretty confident that my doctor will be semi-cool about this. He's cool with a lot of the other unconventional things I do
#14 Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_vegan View Post

SallyK, sucks for your infection, but you're one rad chick...I must say

(Random)

Cheers!

aren't you sweet?
#15 Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 AM

When my nose acts up normally soaking a chamomile tea bag in the sea salt solution and holding it on my nose several times a day clears it up pretty quickly. I agree you should probably talk to your dr. and your piercer is its been infected for 3 weeks.
#16 Old 06-08-2005, 03:02 PM

I've had my nipples pierced since 2001, and it took about a year and a half before they stopped pussing and fully healed. My piercer told me not to use barbells until they were fully healed. The good thing about rings is that when you clean your nipple area, you can move the ring around and that will help clear out the puss at the insertion site. With barbells, you are pretty limited, unless you take them out to clean your nipple...which I wouldn't advise with the infection. Maybe rings would help? I don't know, just my 2 cents. Good luck!
#17 Old 06-08-2005, 03:24 PM

good luck Sally! I know how painful that can be.

I'm gonna have to get my nips redone. I left the rings out for too long, now one of them is healed up. they never were quite even anyway, so maybe that's a good thing.

Let us know what the Dr. and the piercer say!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#18 Old 06-08-2005, 04:55 PM

i think we need to talk about the difference between lymph and puss. puss is caused by an infection (bacteria plus lymph). lymph is the great stuff that helps our body heal.

My nipples would lymph during menstruation and fertility. this meant 'crusties' but they weren't infections. Similarly, not all nipple piercings ever fully heal. After 2 or 3 years or however long i had them, mine never healed. My piercer noticed that this was not unusual--that for some people they never heal.

My piercer also recommended that *if* you're going to wear a bra, use a barbell. If you're not going to wear a bra, use a ring. THe bra presses the ring downward, pushing the part of the ring that's in the nipple away from the nipple, which may be a reason why the piercing never fully heals. This may have been part of the reason for me.

Also, there is a product that one can buy called a nipple cup or nipple cap. These are small, roung cups that adhere around the nipple. THis is probably a good idea to protect the area from bras and babies until it heals. It's an option (triathletes know about them, they tend to use them most because of the nipple chapping from water-bike-run).

Another option is to go braless and tell your little one that you have a sore or injury there and not to head butt you or to be careful. even little ones know htat 'ouchies' don't need to be toyed with.

Good luck!
#19 Old 06-08-2005, 11:01 PM

as others have said...

i would definitely switch to wearing a ring until you're all healed again! i was told to only wear a ring, til my piercing was healed. (i got mine several years ago.)

sea salt, and gentle, gentle soap is the what i used. and a benzal (benzalite? benzalkolide? can't remember the exact name) solution..

i'd also check the material the barbell is made from, maybe its a reaction to that..

definitely good luck.
#20 Old 06-08-2005, 11:29 PM

benzalkonium chloride (it gives me rashies)
#21 Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 PM

I went to my piercing parlor tonight. I didn't get to see the woman who pierced me, but I did get to see one of the other piercers. He took a look at it and said at this point he sees no reason why I'd lose my piercing. There's no abcess and very minimal migration. He said I should go ahead and try distilled water for my sea salt soaks. He did also suggest I try a wider barbell Apparently I have large nipples. TMI? I'm not at all interested in having rings at this point, and it's not suggested according to my piercing parlor. I do think I'll try titanium barbells after this is healed, even though it's a bit spendy.

I'll let you know what the doc says tomorrow. Usually I try to avoid antibiotics as much as possible, but this is starting to feel similar to when I had mastitis (sp) when I was nursing my son - except I don't have a fever. I'm in more pain then I even expected. I can't wait for it to be over. Uugghhh...
#22 Old 06-09-2005, 08:26 AM

i have large nipples too. i was pierced at 10 guage, but my piercer would like to pierce me again at 10 and then immediately stretch me to an 8 to prevent migration. Also, it's likely that we'll pierce partly behind and partly through the scar tissue to help maintain the piercing. Of course, this assumes that i'm going to do it again. The jewelry, plus the repierce, plus the tip, plus the microbial soap should come to something like $120.

since i wear bras frequently, i will likely pierce with a longer, wider barbell so that there is appropriate movement to allow for cleaning. Similarly, i'm going to buy all cotton bras, since it's what my piercer recommends for breathe-ability which helps heal the piercing.

for women with fuller/larger breasts, the barbell is the best choice to help prevent migration from the down-and-outward pull of the nipple ring when held to the breast by a bra. so, it makes sense for women to pierce with this--but there certainly is a lot of debate on the topic, as well as which guages to pierce at (some say pierce small as possible, others say large as possible, and still others say scalpel to a 1 or 2 guage).

it could be that most of the pain is from bruising from the rough play. i guess you may have learned *that* lesson!

i do hope you're feeling better soon!
#23 Old 06-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

I've used Tea Tree Oil on my traguses when one of them got infected, and the infection was gone in 2 days. They were pretty bad too.......but if you've had an infection for 3 weeks, I think you might need an antibiotic.

I've never had this particular problem, but tea tree oil soap clears up lots of things.
#24 Old 06-11-2005, 09:12 AM

I'm back for an update. I went to the doctor on Thursday. He prescribed an oral antibiotic and a mineral oil/petroleum based cream. I told him to shove the cream up his a**. Just kidding But I didn't fill the prescription for the cream and I did tell him I wouldn't use it because of my own feelings and because my piercer said not to.

Anyway, I'm beginning to feel like a normal person again now that the oral antibiotics kicked in, and I'm much less crabby since the pain is more tolerable.

I'll be really happy when it stops oozing and the swelling goes down. A few more days and I think I'll be good as new, as long as I can keep the antibiotics from giving me a YI.
#25 Old 06-11-2005, 12:09 PM

Take acidophilus any time you're taking antibiotics. It'll keep the yeasties away. Just be sure to wait at least 2 hours after each dose of antibiotics to take your probiotic.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better!
#26 Old 06-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

Take acidophilus any time you're taking antibiotics. It'll keep the yeasties away. Just be sure to wait at least 2 hours after each dose of antibiotics to take your probiotic.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better!

Uh oh, I haven't been waiting for 2 hours after my antibiotics to take my probiotic. I never knew this. Can you explain?
#27 Old 06-11-2005, 12:19 PM

If you take the probiotic too soon after the antibiotic, the anti will kill the pro along with the bad bacteria. Hence, the 2-hour wait.
#28 Old 06-11-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

If you take the probiotic too soon after the antibiotic, the anti will kill the pro along with the bad bacteria. Hence, the 2-hour wait.

Thank you so much Gracie, that is very valuable information!
#29 Old 06-11-2005, 11:36 PM

You are quite welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page