Help please: I'm not so healthy - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 07-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Unhappy Help please: I'm not so healthy

I'm sorry if this post seems too long and not to the point, but I thought explaining my transition to vegan diets will make me remember details better and give you more insights on what the problems are. More context, so to speak.

Summary: I struggle with nasal congestion, tiredness while sedentary. I don't know the root cause of this, maybe beans and low fat intake (even though it's ~10% of calories), respectively.

As a student and gym-goer, I wanted to find ways to reduce the amount of sleep I needed from 9h to 8/7h, so I can make the most out of my day. I started looking for answers and remembered that vegan diets improved recovery, inflammation. So I watched, with an open mind, Vegan Gains' channel and was convinced to go vegan. So I started replacing some meat portions with beans. But this resulted in some flatulence, and I thought the combination of meat should've inhibit the digestion of beans, so I ate wholly vegan meals. Then for the last time I prepped a meal with chicken and it was the most digusting meal ever, and became vegan after enduring the 4 days I had to eat that garbage.
I looked around for recipes on Pinterest, tracked my calories and micronutrients carefully, took B12, D and iodine supplements, reduced omega 6 intake and eating more healthy fats like ground flax seed and chia seeds to promote conversion from ALA to DHA.
So I enlarge those recipes I find on pinterest and prep 2 meals. I then used to eat overnights oats soaked in water for breakfast, eat one meal for lunch, some large snacks, and then one after school. And then another snack.
I do enjoy the meals, even though they're very big in volume and my mind wanders more often as a result. But that's not my biggest complaint I started getting. Mainly it was bloating and painful sh*ts I started getting, especially after eating chickpeas coated with sriracha and garlic.
Might sound tasty, but I had to cut it out for better digestion, as I reasoned it might have too much salt/nasty taste enhancers. Also I started drinking water 15 minutes before a meal.
So now I'm drinking plenty of water before each meal, and bloating is reduced. But I still felt tired and found out I lost 2kg and knew I was missing calories. I was after all, walking and standing alot to commute. So I added a total of 200g red lentils to my daily diet, upping it from 3000 to 4000, which went pretty easy. I was surprised how easy I could eat the meals, as though the enzymes do the work for me.
One day I did not have any prepped foods, so I thought I'd make an all lentil meal prep, with some rice. Made it tasty, ate it all. But the next day I cr*pped it out as though it's not even digested. Now, everytime I eat lentils, I have the same problem.
Soy. Tofu. Love it with peanut sauce. But I began getting nasal congestion, and always felt an extremely subtle hint of nausea while eating it. And I tried everything for nasal congestion: rinsing the salt water everyday, smelling onions, eating raw garlic. Weak immune system? Or just intolerance to soy...
Which brings my to my final struggle. I always felt somethings not right with my mind: I'm tired, but I'm still well aware of that. A slight headache. "Maybe it's dissasociation from meditating 1 hour everyday. Or maybe I'm missing something from meat. No you're not converting enough DHA, buy a supplement." So I bought a vegan 250mg DHA supplement which I take every 3 days, like some site recommend, since I'm still taking in 10g of ALA with just 10g of omega 6, 1:1 ratio. But that doesn't seem to help with the headache I get every so often. So it might as well be me tired yet still awake, not diet related. Weird I know.
And to this day, I'm meal prepping for 3 or 4 days, prep 2 different meals,so I can eat 4 meals a day. Very bland, but I need to make sure I follow it like clockworks, so I can make logical conclusions on what is causing my problems and what isn't, one thing at a time. And even if I eat these meals I feel full and bloated again, in addition to having some stomach acid, even though I drink plenty of water. So I'm trying to reduce canned foods, as they're high in sodium.
But the weird and funny thing is, is that I'm still getting stronger in the gym, I can still mentally control myself to lift with perfect form, not rest too long and get out of it in just 1h. But I still have trouble breathing nasally. So it's only the mental, sedentary tasks that give me the most trouble. Perhaps high carb diets don't work for me best (see the question below).

So yeah, from my experience, I think:
*I can't handle eating 100-130g of fibre a day.
*I can't eat (lots of) soy and lentils and even beans.
*High carb diets don't work for me.

On the bright side, because of my genetic background, I can easily eat wheat and that means seitan, so might have to experiment around with mock meats. Also potatos. If you have recipes, please give.

I have not yet experimented with smaller portions of beans and lentils.

Now I need your help. Do you have relatable expiences? Any knowledge I'm missing on nutrition (macros)?

Also, here's a question I was wondering about:
*Athletes mostly eat meat because it's so calorie dense. It contains mostly protein and some fat. Another calorie dense food are nuts: lots of fat and some protein. People keep saying "focus on calories". Then why the **** don't vegan athletes promote the consumption of nuts? Not even Vegan Gains. Is it because it then invalidates the "ideal" 80/10/10 macro ratio for health? Which to me is bull because vegan diets don't have cholesterol so what harm does eating more fat have?

Alright, that's every thought that's lingering in my head about how I can solve this. Thanks for reading and suggestions, relatable experiences are more than welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by a vascular sweet potato View Post
I'm sorry if this post seems too long and not to the point, but I thought explaining my transition to vegan diets will make me remember details better and give you more insights on what the problems are. More context, so to speak.

Summary: I struggle with nasal congestion, tiredness while sedentary. I don't know the root cause of this, maybe beans and low fat intake (even though it's ~10% of calories), respectively.

As a student and gym-goer, I wanted to find ways to reduce the amount of sleep I needed from 9h to 8/7h, so I can make the most out of my day. I started looking for answers and remembered that vegan diets improved recovery, inflammation. So I watched, with an open mind, Vegan Gains' channel and was convinced to go vegan. So I started replacing some meat portions with beans. But this resulted in some flatulence, and I thought the combination of meat should've inhibit the digestion of beans, so I ate wholly vegan meals. Then for the last time I prepped a meal with chicken and it was the most digusting meal ever, and became vegan after enduring the 4 days I had to eat that garbage.
I looked around for recipes on Pinterest, tracked my calories and micronutrients carefully, took B12, D and iodine supplements, reduced omega 6 intake and eating more healthy fats like ground flax seed and chia seeds to promote conversion from ALA to DHA.
So I enlarge those recipes I find on pinterest and prep 2 meals. I then used to eat overnights oats soaked in water for breakfast, eat one meal for lunch, some large snacks, and then one after school. And then another snack.
I do enjoy the meals, even though they're very big in volume and my mind wanders more often as a result. But that's not my biggest complaint I started getting. Mainly it was bloating and painful sh*ts I started getting, especially after eating chickpeas coated with sriracha and garlic.
Might sound tasty, but I had to cut it out for better digestion, as I reasoned it might have too much salt/nasty taste enhancers. Also I started drinking water 15 minutes before a meal.
So now I'm drinking plenty of water before each meal, and bloating is reduced. But I still felt tired and found out I lost 2kg and knew I was missing calories. I was after all, walking and standing alot to commute. So I added a total of 200g red lentils to my daily diet, upping it from 3000 to 4000, which went pretty easy. I was surprised how easy I could eat the meals, as though the enzymes do the work for me.
One day I did not have any prepped foods, so I thought I'd make an all lentil meal prep, with some rice. Made it tasty, ate it all. But the next day I cr*pped it out as though it's not even digested. Now, everytime I eat lentils, I have the same problem.
Soy. Tofu. Love it with peanut sauce. But I began getting nasal congestion, and always felt an extremely subtle hint of nausea while eating it. And I tried everything for nasal congestion: rinsing the salt water everyday, smelling onions, eating raw garlic. Weak immune system? Or just intolerance to soy...
Which brings my to my final struggle. I always felt somethings not right with my mind: I'm tired, but I'm still well aware of that. A slight headache. "Maybe it's dissasociation from meditating 1 hour everyday. Or maybe I'm missing something from meat. No you're not converting enough DHA, buy a supplement." So I bought a vegan 250mg DHA supplement which I take every 3 days, like some site recommend, since I'm still taking in 10g of ALA with just 10g of omega 6, 1:1 ratio. But that doesn't seem to help with the headache I get every so often. So it might as well be me tired yet still awake, not diet related. Weird I know.
And to this day, I'm meal prepping for 3 or 4 days, prep 2 different meals,so I can eat 4 meals a day. Very bland, but I need to make sure I follow it like clockworks, so I can make logical conclusions on what is causing my problems and what isn't, one thing at a time. And even if I eat these meals I feel full and bloated again, in addition to having some stomach acid, even though I drink plenty of water. So I'm trying to reduce canned foods, as they're high in sodium.
But the weird and funny thing is, is that I'm still getting stronger in the gym, I can still mentally control myself to lift with perfect form, not rest too long and get out of it in just 1h. But I still have trouble breathing nasally. So it's only the mental, sedentary tasks that give me the most trouble. Perhaps high carb diets don't work for me best (see the question below).

So yeah, from my experience, I think:
*I can't handle eating 100-130g of fibre a day.
*I can't eat (lots of) soy and lentils and even beans.
*High carb diets don't work for me.

On the bright side, because of my genetic background, I can easily eat wheat and that means seitan, so might have to experiment around with mock meats. Also potatos. If you have recipes, please give.

I have not yet experimented with smaller portions of beans and lentils.

Now I need your help. Do you have relatable expiences? Any knowledge I'm missing on nutrition (macros)?

Also, here's a question I was wondering about:
*Athletes mostly eat meat because it's so calorie dense. It contains mostly protein and some fat. Another calorie dense food are nuts: lots of fat and some protein. People keep saying "focus on calories". Then why the **** don't vegan athletes promote the consumption of nuts? Not even Vegan Gains. Is it because it then invalidates the "ideal" 80/10/10 macro ratio for health? Which to me is bull because vegan diets don't have cholesterol so what harm does eating more fat have?

Alright, that's every thought that's lingering in my head about how I can solve this. Thanks for reading and suggestions, relatable experiences are more than welcome.

Hi vascular sweet potato,

This multi-faceted problem cannot be solved by someone in a public forum. I strongly, strongly encourage you to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian who specializes in vegetarian nutrition and in digestive issues.

When you come to a public forum with a complex problem like yours, you will almost certainly receive 4 different answers. Unfortunately, it's not possible for us to examine you in any detailed or objective way. And, if someone does claim to diagnose your issue, it would be wise to be skeptical.

A Registered Dietitian can work with you (and with your physician and/or trainer) to help you plan a delicious vegan diet that addresses your athletic requirements and digestive issues.

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through this website: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the "Find an Expert" button, located in the upper-right-hand portion of the webpage.

In the U.K., you can find a local Registered Dietitian on the Freelance Dietitians website: http://www.freelancedietitians.org/

In New Zealand, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Dietitians New Zealand website: http://dietitians.org.nz/find-a-dietitian/

In Australia, you can find a local Accredited Practising Dietitian through the Dietitians Association of Australia: https://daa.asn.au/find-an-apd/

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at the Dietitians of Canada website: http://www.dietitians.ca/Find-a-Dietitian.aspx .

In the Nederlands, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at http://www.nvdietist.nl/ .

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 07-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

You don't have to eat or try to eat like Vegan Gains -- Not sure, but I don't think even Vegan Gains follows 80/10/10 anymore. He definitely seems to be eating more than 10% protein. I enjoy his videos sometimes, but I definitely wouldn't go to him for meal ideas.
Try to up your protein and fat. I believe Jon Venus, another vegan youtuber, follows a macro ratio of 60/20/20 or around that. Maybe that will work better for you. He has some meal videos. Also, Brian Turner has some good and easy vegan meal videos -- He does use a good amount of soy meats in his meals, but you can leave that out.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 07-16-2017 at 02:55 PM.

#4 Old 07-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Vegan since 1991

One thing is clear, based only on the information you've provided: You are eating an enormous amount of fiber - far more than what is needed for good health. Very high fiber intakes can certainly cause bloating and painfully-large bowel movements.

If you would eat a larger percentage of calories as fat, you could get enough calories, but with less food (and less fiber).

Please consult a Registered Dietitian.
Symondezyn and BlueMts like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 07-16-2017 at 04:59 PM.
#5 Old 07-16-2017, 11:46 PM

Thanks guys.

I will still try cutting out beans and eating mostly bread, potatos, just to see if I actually am intolerant, so I form a baseline from which I can add some beans or maybe even soy. Also I'll increase my fat intake and keep my protein intake to 0,8g/lb BW. But in the meantime I'll look for a registered vegan dietitian in NL.
I'll post how I feel in a few days or weeks, and what I'm doing that works for me.

Tags
health , problems , tired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page