Alcoholism & Wheat Allergies? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By David3
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
steve-in-kville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 22
Alcoholism & Wheat Allergies?

A short back story... I discovered about three years ago I had problem with wheat. I've been eating a paleo-type diet since then. I am ready to make the transition to a plant-based diet, basically doing away with meat products. Anyways, I was also a hard drinker up until a few months ago (I'm in recovery, thank God).

Anyways, my questions are:

1) Is it possible that all the liquor I consumed over the last 10 years might have just destroyed my gut bacteria, hence my problem with wheat?

2) By going to a plant-based diet, will me gut heal enough I could perhaps eat wheat products again in the future?

3) Since wheat is out of the picture for the moment, what other grains could I eat? I'm a huge rice person, thankfully, so I have that going for me!

I appreciate any input.
steve-in-kville is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Vegan since 1991
 
David3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
A short back story... I discovered about three years ago I had problem with wheat. I've been eating a paleo-type diet since then. I am ready to make the transition to a plant-based diet, basically doing away with meat products. Anyways, I was also a hard drinker up until a few months ago (I'm in recovery, thank God).

Anyways, my questions are:

1) Is it possible that all the liquor I consumed over the last 10 years might have just destroyed my gut bacteria, hence my problem with wheat?

2) By going to a plant-based diet, will me gut heal enough I could perhaps eat wheat products again in the future?

3) Since wheat is out of the picture for the moment, what other grains could I eat? I'm a huge rice person, thankfully, so I have that going for me!

I appreciate any input.

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum.

At least one peer-reviewed study appears to generally agree with you. High alcohol consumption causes disruption of gut microbiota, and high alcohol consumption can cause "leaky gut": https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4693248/

Do you have a physician? Have they examined you for other medical conditions that could have resulted from your long-term heavy drinking? That might be a good place to start. Your physician can also refer you to a Registered Dietitian, who can help you to plan a diet that addresses your health issues.

Besides rice, other good grains are oatmeal (good at any meal) and millet. Corn bread and corn tortillas are good, too.
.
.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
David3 is offline  
#3 Old 07-07-2017, 12:53 AM
Newbie
 
steve-in-kville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post

Do you have a physician? Have they examined you for other medical conditions that could have resulted from your long-term heavy drinking? That might be a good place to start. Your physician can also refer you to a Registered Dietitian, who can help you to plan a diet that addresses your health issues.

Besides rice, other good grains are oatmeal (good at any meal) and millet. Corn bread and corn tortillas are good, too.
I am seriously thinking of seeing a nutritionist instead a family doctor, though.

And about oatmeal, I always thought that had gluten in it? Perhaps I was wrong.
steve-in-kville is offline  
 
#4 Old 07-07-2017, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,688
Oats by themselves are gluten free
this is the response from Quaker oats--

Quote:
Oats are naturally gluten-free however, during farming, transportation and storage, gluten-containing grains like wheat, rye and barley may be unintentionally introduced. To provide gluten free oat products for our consumers, Quaker employs a breakthrough process to sort and clean the oats to remove any stray grains.
buckwheat is gluten free. and farro. i just tried farro for the first time and it's very good. and barley
Maybe see how you take to some fermented foods? They help in maintaining flora

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is online now  
#5 Old 07-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Newbie
 
steve-in-kville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Maybe see how you take to some fermented foods? They help in maintaining flora
I love sauerkraut. When I ate paleo, it went well with pork and even chicken. Not sure what it would with otherwise...
steve-in-kville is offline  
#6 Old 07-07-2017, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Spudulika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
I love sauerkraut. When I ate paleo, it went well with pork and even chicken. Not sure what it would with otherwise...
We have ours with veggie hot dogs in hot dog rolls.
Spudulika is offline  
#7 Old 07-08-2017, 03:14 AM
Newbie
 
steve-in-kville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
We have ours with veggie hot dogs in hot dog rolls.
Without googling it, what veggies and/or beans would 'kraut go with?
steve-in-kville is offline  
#8 Old 07-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB
 
Knowtions In Motion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: In My Heart
Posts: 252
I eat kraut on top of various garden, pasta (g/f made with lentils or quinoa - or - spiral sliced zuchinni, etc. in place of pasta), and bean salads, or just by itself as a side dish. It took a while to acquire such a deep appreciation of the flavors, though, especially after living damn near 4 decades as a standard american diet consumer. A good friend of mine makes kraut with just about every veggie she grows, and she loves to share, so I'm treated to a nice variety of flavors. We also have a local place across the mountain that makes and sells it commercially, from a variety of many things, even wild foraged stuff like purslane. Good stuff!

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
Knowtions In Motion is online now  
#9 Old 07-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Spudulika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
Without googling it, what veggies and/or beans would 'kraut go with?
"Without googling it" I'd say traditional German / Polish stews would be a good launchpad. I know it's used with white beans. But I do think you'd need to google it and add the word "vegan" to your keywords, or just cut out the sausages and serve with something like rye bread maybe.
Spudulika is offline  
#10 Old 07-09-2017, 06:35 AM
Newbie
 
steve-in-kville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
"Without googling it" I'd say traditional German / Polish stews would be a good launchpad. I know it's used with white beans. But I do think you'd need to google it and add the word "vegan" to your keywords, or just cut out the sausages and serve with something like rye bread maybe.
Now I'm craving a Reuben sandwich!!
steve-in-kville is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off