• 1 Post By oldmanveggie
  • 2 Post By Emma JC
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 06-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Vegan since 1991

Coconut oil: American Heart Association recommends against

I'm sure that everyone has caught a glimpse of the hundreds of popular websites, blogs, and YouTube videos which claim that coconut oil is healthy.

The American Heart Association has finally made an official recommendation regarding coconut oil: Don't consume it. http://news.heart.org/saturated-fats...over-coconuts/

Instead, the American Heart Association continues to recommend unsaturated fats. This AHA notice provides details and recommendations for foods that are rich in unsaturated fats: . http://news.heart.org/advisory-repla...ascular-risks/

The British Heart Foundation also recommends that people limit their intake of coconut oil. The BHF, like the American Heart Association, recommends that people consume unsaturated fats instead: https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters.../saturated-fat

The Vegetarian Resource Group also recommends against eating coconut oil: http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2016iss...on_hotline.php . The Vegetarian Resource Group sources its nutrition information from Registered Dietitians - it's reliable.

Vegan Outreach (led by a Registered Dietitian) also recommends against eating coconut oil: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/fattyacids#satfat

For those who prefer to listen to specific plant-based physicians (i.e. McDougall, Fuhrman), here are quotes from these people as well:

Quote:
Dr. Joel Fuhrman:

"To admire coconut oil, a person has to completely disagree with the foundation of my work, H = N/C. That is I am trying to encourage people to eat a diet with a higher micronutrient per calorie density. The way to do this is by avoiding empty calories. Coconut oil is a perfect example of the most empty calorie food in existence. You just get a huge caloric load with essentially no compensatory micronutrients. The small amount of MCT fat, even though may be a little less fattening than saturated fat is no advantage because this slight advantage is overwhelmed by the high amount of saturated fat in the oil. So I think the question itself illustrates a either a lack of understanding of the value of micronutrient density, or a disagreement with this basic principle of nutritarian nutrition"

Link: https://nutrientrich.com/1/coconut-o...asy-story.html
Quote:
Dr. T. Colin Campbell:

"I have read that MCFAs are absorbed directly into the liver, and as a result, have the potential [to promote] weight loss. Even if true—this was only theoretical in the study—this reductionist view misses the point that people don’t eat MCFAs. Rather, they eat coconut oil, and half the saturated fat in coconut oil is not MCFAs. At over 90% saturated fat, taking away the portion of MCFAs in coconut oil—which still requires us to make the huge assumption that MCFAs are all good and can’t be negated—then you are still left with 45% of the saturated fat. So even subtracting all of the theoretical goodness of MCFAs from the total saturated fat content, coconut oil is still worse than lard, which is only 43% saturated fat. And we all know that lard is not a health food."

Link: http://nutritionstudies.org/coconut-...thy-hazardous/
Quote:
Dr. John McDougall:

"When coconut oils were fed to forty-seven Pacific Islanders, along with their regular diet of fish, meat, cheese, chicken and fruits and vegetables, their cholesterol levels were found to be significantly lower than when they were fed a similar diet with similar amounts of butter fat.3 However, when polyunsaturated safflower oil was used then the cholesterol levels were even lower than with the coconut oils. Thus, coconut fat seems to be slightly better than butter—but not much."

Link: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/may/coconut.htm

Emma JC likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 06-21-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2017, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I use coconut oil infrequently (like once or twice a month). I originally bought the jar in my fridge to make coconut 'bliss balls' and its stayed there for months since.

I appreciate that it may have a place in baking things like flapjacks (oat / granola slices) and is a good alternative to palm oil for those who don't purchase that. Otherwise I really don't understand why people use coconut oil in foods that don't require either the flavour or the firmness once cooled.

Why have any saturated fats (including coconut and butter) become popularised as 'healthy' when the evidence seems to indicate the opposite? Is it because of successful propaganda, selected studies promoted in the media?

In the UK the right wing paper, The Daily Mail, for example is very pro-low carb/paleo and always pushes stories involving some 'expert' or 'new study' which says 'saturated fats are good for you'.

Last edited by Spudulika; 06-21-2017 at 11:47 PM.
#3 Old 06-22-2017, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

I use coconut oil for my skin, hair and as a deodorant paste made with baking soda and corn starch. It's also a wonderful cleaner mixed with lemon juice

I had been making vegan butter with refined coconut oil, and in the beginning we used it a good bit, but cut back to where even the smaller amounts I kept in the fridge would spoil, so I stopped.

I do wonder if it's better to use a bit in place of things like conventional canola? I saute in a cast iron and only use enough to coat the bottom of the pan, deglazing with a liquid as things cook
I still have most of the jar of refined, and use organic on my skin
Emma JC likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

#4 Old 06-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Emma JC

Thank you for posting this David3 - I spent yesterday afternoon writing about oils and fats and had incorporated this article into what I wrote. Just trying to figure out if I should post it here as a reply or start a new thread, it is fairly long. As I am still new to the forum I am not sure of protocol.

ty, Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#5 Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 AM

I use coconut water as a base for my green smoothies but that's as far as I go with the whole coconut thing. Thanks for info/links!
Emma JC likes this.

~*Sara*~
Experimenting with a whole foods, plant base diet, (with a few Oreos and chili cheese Fritos thrown in here and there
).

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
#6 Old 07-14-2017, 12:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to WalkTheWalk
I dont' recommend eating any oils, either virgin olive or coconut because some studies show it can raise chelosterol. On skin and hair on occasion might be ok tho if you have dryness.
Emma JC likes this.
#7 Old 07-14-2017, 12:44 PM

That being said, eating coconuts is fine because you get the natural fiber and jelly or meat from the coconut mixed with the oil, same with nuts and grains raw etc.
Emma JC likes this.
#8 Old 07-14-2017, 12:45 PM

Forget about cooking in oils or cooking any food for that matter, that's just a terrible lie and huge conspiracy and once you awake you won't go back
Emma JC likes this.
#9 Old 07-14-2017, 06:50 PM

I'm under no illusions, all oils are not good for you.

The ideal diet would include none of them.

Eating coconuts or eating olives is one thing, consuming their processed oil is another.

But of course I still consume them from time to time.
Emma JC likes this.
#10 Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 AM
Emma JC

Dr Greger just posted a great video on coconuts and coconut oil and coconut milk... well worth watching...

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-about-coconuts-coconut-milk-and-coconut-oil-mcts/

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#11 Old 08-24-2017, 02:55 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ruthwfortunato
I don't think moderate consumption will cause any problem. I usually just use it for my skin and hair - I don't like the smell of it in my food other than cookies or cakes.
@WalkandWalk: What about avocado oil? Do you think it's unhealthy too?
#12 Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Emma JC

The reason oils are not recommended for regular consumption is that they are calorie dense, fibreless (is that a word?) and nutrient lite and as Dr Greger points out they can cause the arteries to constrict within a short time after consuming. Instead of using avocado oil, eat the avocado - that contains all the fibre and nutrients that make it a "whole food". Eat the olive, eat the flax, eat the peanut ... you get the picture. There are many great and healthy options for baking and cooking.

Emma JC
ps here is a post on Fat vs Oil I wrote a couple of months ago
Fats versus Oils
Spudulika and David3 like this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#13 Old 08-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMyPetz View Post
Thank you for posting this, now I know that I need to ensure that I eat two tablespoons every single day. If the American Heart Association is against it I know it's good, I don't believe anything they or the AMA say.

Please read the rest of my first entry. It's not just the American Heart Association that's advising people not to consume coconut oil. The Vegetarian Resource Group, Vegan Outreach, and several prominent vegan physicians are also advising people not to consume it.

Spudulika likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

#14 Old 08-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Thank you for posting this, now I know that I need to ensure that I eat two tablespoons every single day. If the American Heart Association is against it I know it's good, I don't believe anything they or the AMA say.
It might be not accurate to reject everything that the American Heart Association says.

For example, the American Heart Association states that properly-planned vegetarian diets lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Health...32_Article.jsp . Are you saying that you don't believe this, because the American Heart Association said it?
Spudulika likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 08-30-2017 at 06:24 PM.
#15 Old 08-31-2017, 05:59 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
A serpent will give some truth. 99% of truth is quiet a lot right? But if 1% of it is a lie that is enough to poison it all.

I guess those physicians are bought out then.

People come to this forum for well-substantiated information about properly-planned vegetarian/vegans diets. This information comes from well-designed nutrition trials, not from paranoia.

Spudulika likes this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 08-31-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page