Vegetarian with digestive condition looking for tips - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Knowtions In Motion
  • 1 Post By Emma JC

#1 Old 05-30-2017, 07:45 PM
GeekyVegetarian

Vegetarian with digestive condition looking for tips

Hello! I am a vegetarian with ulcerative colitis. For those of you who don't know, UC is characterized by an inflamed large intestine (or "swollen colon" as I like to call it) which causes diarrhea, bloody stool, abdominal pain, and ridiculous bathroom humor.

Here are some of the ways I've found of managing my condition:
  • Drinking lots and lots of water
  • Eating several small meals instead of three big ones
  • Sleeping on my back (weird, I know, but effective)
  • Limiting my sugar intake
  • Limiting my roughage intake

I'm curious what other tips those of you with digestive conditions have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2017, 12:41 PM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Hi...and I love your user name....lol.

I never did the vegetarian scene as an emergency visit to the ER catapulted me straight from the Standard American Diet scene into the whole food plant-based vegan lifestyle overnight.

I'm not personally familiar with the UC symptoms and such, but had previously been diagnosed with severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome, nervous stomach, acid reflux, morbid obesity, and multiple other issues not directly digestive related.

I gave up all meat, dairy, eggs, caffeine, and alcohol and, other than some rough patches from the initial drastic shift and the learning curves, most of my digestive suffering ended, along with several other things I'd been told to "just get used to" as a natural part of aging and/or genetics. I then discovered genes aren't the only things that run in families, so do diets. lol

I'm curious if you've tried eliminating dairy and eggs for any length of time to see if that has any additional helpful effects. If so, my apologies for going where you've already been.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
#3 Old 06-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Emma JC

welcome and I love your name also!!

I agree with Knowtions that whole food plant-based is a good option for you to try. My step-daughter has Crohns and going WFPB Starchivore last October has made all the difference in the world to her. She has had Crohns for over 16 years and had part of her bowel removed at 16. She has done fairly well over the years and yet had many issues for the most of last year again and switching completely off meats and dairy and eggs has allowed her a normal lifestyle once again and she also lost about 30 lbs too.

Dr McDougall has lots of information on his website for people with bowel conditions, especially UC and Crohns - the link is here. He also has many success stories of people who have had great results from eating whole food plant-based.

All the best with your journey!! I know how painful it can be, Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
digestive condition , ulcerative colitis , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page