Long term protein deficiency symptoms - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 05-17-2017, 04:00 AM

Long term protein deficiency symptoms

Hi all

I'm a 37 year old male and I've been a vegetarian for 23 years. Always been very well, rarely ill, workout regularly etc. However I became ill about 3 years ago and Drs are baffled and tests have all pretty much come back normal, except for low B12, and low IgM. I've been convinced it's an underactive thyroid as symptoms are very similar:

Tired all the time despite LOADS of sleep
Muscle fatigue, particularly legs and lower back. Sometimes my leg muscles are so sore I struggle to walk
Zero libido
Depression
Dry skin
etc.

A rheumatologist ruled out anything sinister and say it must be chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia, although I'm still active and I'm convinced it's not. I've tried a whole range of supplements with mixed results, but no 'cure'. I thought about protein amounts and was surprised to see that I probably ate around 40g per day for the last 23 years which according to my height and weight is not enough! So last week I upped my protein amount to over 170g per day - 4 times my supposed need and have felt better for a whole week. More energy, no aches and pains, and just generally feeling more myself.

I have tried researching protein deficiency but articles all seem to be about the extreme side effects rather than subclinical. Has anyone any experience of long term mild protein deficiency and if so what might the cure be other than massive amounts of protein? Can I keep this dose going for a few weeks in order to repair any damage and does my body store it for the odd day when I might not get enough?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2017, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

I strongly suggest a good dietitian. Doctors are mostly clueless on nutrition unless it's their specialty. Going from 40 to 170 is quite an undertaking! We're you mostly raw?

Tags
chronic fatigue , protein deficiency

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page