High B12?? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 AM

High B12??

I'm new here (although longtime lurker) so sorry in advance if this isn't clear, in the proper place, etc.! I got some bloodwork done recently to check on iron levels (I have chronically low ferritin and take prescription iron), and they decided to test B12 while they were at it. I've always been smack dab in the normal range, but now I'm at nearly 1,000? I probably consume foods fortified with B12 (e.g. fortified cereals, nutritional yeast), but not consciously and not in large amounts. I take a B Complex supplement but probably remember to take it at most once per week, sometimes less, and have always supplemented this amount or more. It's not terribly above normal so I'm not sure it's worth making an appointment over, but I'm just very confused as to how this is even possible?
Does anybody have similar experiences/ideas of what is going on here? I have the full results if that's at all helpful, but honestly I really don't think it's something to be worried about so much as an interesting thing.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM

http://www.livestrong.com/article/30...f-vitamin-b12/

Maybe the article will be useful for you. Actually, I don't have any similar experiences as you.

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
#3 Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addye View Post
I'm new here (although longtime lurker) so sorry in advance if this isn't clear, in the proper place, etc.! I got some bloodwork done recently to check on iron levels (I have chronically low ferritin and take prescription iron), and they decided to test B12 while they were at it. I've always been smack dab in the normal range, but now I'm at nearly 1,000? I probably consume foods fortified with B12 (e.g. fortified cereals, nutritional yeast), but not consciously and not in large amounts. I take a B Complex supplement but probably remember to take it at most once per week, sometimes less, and have always supplemented this amount or more. It's not terribly above normal so I'm not sure it's worth making an appointment over, but I'm just very confused as to how this is even possible?
Does anybody have similar experiences/ideas of what is going on here? I have the full results if that's at all helpful, but honestly I really don't think it's something to be worried about so much as an interesting thing.
Thanks in advance

As Rose's article says, even very high intakes of vitamin B12 are not usually considered toxic. Mainstream health agencies say the same thing: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...ofessional/#h8

However, high blood levels of vitamin B12 can be a sign of a serious medical problem. It's not that the high B12 intake is causing the problem. Rather, the opposite can be true: The medical problem may be causing the elevated B12 levels: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14636871

If your physician wasn't concerned, then it may not be anything to worry about. You could specifically discuss it with them, just to be on the safe side.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Tags
b12 , bloodwork , supplements , Vegan , vitamins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page