Essential vegan vitamin supplements - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2017, 11:10 PM

Essential vegan vitamin supplements

EDIT: Can't post links so just google the product names instead.

Hey guys, I'm vegan for 4 years soon but I got lazy and this got unhealthy, mainly mental problems (losing interest in everything including life) and I've started to research neurology, after a few weeks I realized that it's easier to fix my diet first instead of scanning my brain and blaming it on genes so.

Main vitamins everyone needs, D, B12 and current research shows DHA supplements are very good but I'm not sold just yet that you must take supplements and can't fix it with daily flax+chia seeds.

I'm from eastern europe, buying anything from outside the EU has a 25% customs tax and about a 20-30$ shipping fee (1$ product, 30$ shipping, 31*1.25= 38.75$ is what I pay + losing about 5-10% on US to local currency exchange automatically at purchase) so bear this in mind.

B12: 4 years ago I started taking google-> jarrow-formulas-inc-methyl-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-60-lozenges
Got a big supply of supplements from the US, honestly I didn't feel anything after I took this so after 6-9months I started forgetting about it, in the end I had 2 full bottles expired. Afterwards, I ordered this google-> now-foods-b-12-instant-energy-75-pkts. I still have like one and a half box of this, bought it about 10months ago but I kept it in my room and sadly in the summer it gets very hot, sometimes reaching even 40C or more, 104F+ so I'm not really sure if it's still useful. At first, everyone was going on about how good methylcobalamin is, current research shows that cyanocobalamin is the way to go unless your body can't convert it. This instant energy supplement has cyanocobalamin in it, but it doesn't say how much, says 2000mcg combined across 3 types of B12.

In Europe B12 supplements are very rare, in my country you can't find anything that is not a multivitamin with little to no B12, here's what I found in UK.
google -> bulkpowders vitamin-b12-tablets-1000-mcg
Also this site has kale powder which I'm gonna order (there is no kale in my country).

One other site I found google-> holland-barrett-timed-release-vitamin-b12-tablets-1000ug but I don't like these "timed release" marketing hokums, (most of them are hokum). So it's either the cheaper UK 1000mcg cyano 3times a week or the american triple blend (I guess it's mostly methyl, that's what I'm afraid of, since methyl has to be used in big quantities, 1500mcg and above). I'd go with the UK 1000mcg.

Vitamin D. 4years ago I ordered google-> swansonvitamins deva-vegan-vitamin-d-800-iu-90-tabs back then it was kinda the only vegan D vitamin but now I see a lot of research showing how D2 is useless and could even be damaging. Then I found out D3 is not from animals only anymore, for example this google-> vegetology vitashine-2500iu-tablets
It has a pretty good price, 2500iu very big dose, there's an 1000iu version for the same price. Not sure if taking 2500iu pills once in 3 days or taking 1000iu daily is better. For budget it's 2500iu obviously but I read that there are people who get seriously sick from D3 overdose. I'd like opinions about this.
Here are the US options google-> swansonvitamins[dot]com/vegan?kw=vitamin+d3 and honestly I don't like those any more than the EU one. All of the US ones have 2500 and above, they aren't any cheaper so I'm leaning towards the EU product I just don't know if it's any good or not, can't seem to find any reviews.

My only problem is that in order to buy from US, I need to buy supplements for at least like 150-200$ and I'm not gonna buy multivitamins again, I wasted so much money on those in the past 4 years and I know they are at best useless so I'm gonna focus only on the things we need.

Lastly, take a look at this and tell me what you guys think ? google-> vegetology opti3
I know DHA research shows very positive results for using supplements but I believe if daily flax&chia is used then we should have enough of DHA, did anyone calculate this ? I'm looking DHA for a few reasons. I'm experiencing declining mental functions (I'm 29, could be because of constant sadness, loneliness, loss of interest for 5years+) but also my dad (54) is starting to forget things and the research that I read showed DHA can slow brain shrinkage, dementia and alzheimers. I'm gonna put the whole family to a vegan diet (mom 49, takes xanax).

Thanks for reading this wall of text guys and I hope not having links is not too annoying, don't know how many posts I need to be able to link, can't find it in the rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 AM

I ordered the vegetology vitashine 2500iu in the end because research shows we need more than originally thought, up to 5000 daily and the Opti 3 EPA&DHA. Still waiting with for some more options with the B12.
#3 Old 01-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by justoz View Post
EDIT: Can't post links so just google the product names instead.
Lastly, take a look at this and tell me what you guys think ? google-> vegetology opti3
I know DHA research shows very positive results for using supplements but I believe if daily flax&chia is used then we should have enough of DHA, did anyone calculate this ? I'm looking DHA for a few reasons. I'm experiencing declining mental functions (I'm 29, could be because of constant sadness, loneliness, loss of interest for 5years+) but also my dad (54) is starting to forget things and the research that I read showed DHA can slow brain shrinkage, dementia and alzheimers. I'm gonna put the whole family to a vegan diet (mom 49, takes xanax).

Thanks for reading this wall of text guys and I hope not having links is not too annoying, don't know how many posts I need to be able to link, can't find it in the rules.

You could take a peek at the following little short video by Dr. Michael Greger who is a vegan and he does a great job of explaining Omega 3's & 6's and also includes a recommendation regarding the use of flax seed. I once read a recommendation by a vegan dietician named Jack Norris and he said that even two halves of a walnut would give you your minimum days recommended dosage of Omega 3. I usually have four halves, plus I'll use hemp seed oil or hemp seeds on my cereal and so on.

#4 Old 01-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

I do worry about converting omegas to dha so I supplement algae dha. I have used Opti-3 and liked it, I have also taken Ovega which was my favorite. I now have Vitacost brand which has been the most cost effective. I have taken another brand, which I don't recall, and had terrible algae burps. I find taking one in the morning, with a small amount of food, is best.
I do take a tablespoon of ground flax seeds and a tablespoon of raw wheat germ in my morning oatmeal, cream of wheat, or smoothie. I have walnuts a lot.

I now have the Jarrow methyl B12 and methyl folate. After reading up on the MTHFR geneic abnormality, where people don't absorb man made folate (folic acid). Can't say for sure, but I believe I feel better. B12 has a long shelf life btw

I started taking regular lanolin D3 after years of taking the RDA of D2. I was practically crippled in my feet, doctors passing me to podiatrists and orthopedic doctors when I found I was very deficient. I still a bit tramatized by that experience and haven't wanted to risk vegan D3 just yet. No, I don't call myself vegan anymore.
I did look up the link to Vegetology vegan D3 and will try it, it's a good price now! Thank you

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 01-18-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebrahM View Post
You could take a peek at the following little short video by Dr. Michael Greger who is a vegan and he does a great job of explaining Omega 3's & 6's and also includes a recommendation regarding the use of flax seed. I once read a recommendation by a vegan dietician named Jack Norris and he said that even two halves of a walnut would give you your minimum days recommended dosage of Omega 3. I usually have four halves, plus I'll use hemp seed oil or hemp seeds on my cereal and so on.
What is the optimal omega 3 to 6 ratio ? I know the current modern diets are way off, to something like 1:10, 1:20 and above. In order to make the ratio 1:1 you need daily flax seed (I'm using chia seed as well) and no vegetable oils whatsoever, no coconut, no other kind of nuts. (walnuts are the best omega 3 to 6 nuts ''1:4'' and they are still a joke compared to flax/chia 4:1/3:1). I'm trying to go for 1:1 ratio now, it is doable I just don't know what is the correct ratio and fat grams / body weight, some people say 30g/day other's go with 60-70g.

silva did you take D2 and it made you deficient over the years ?
#6 Old 01-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Omega6 to omega 3--best thing I can recommend is get as much omega 3 and as little omega 6 as you can! Or a general try for 4 times the 6 to 1 of the 3
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909
http://www.vegsource.com/sarah-taylo...cid-ratio.html
I take a tablespoon each of ground flax and raw wheat germ in my breakfast, and try to incorporate both in other meals. I don't use hemp although it's really the best form. I should.
I do take an algae DHA supplement daily and have found I function better when I do. I know I have add and it is far less to deal with when I take the dha
Many people don't convert the ala of omegas 3's to dha properly, so I definitely recommend. Unfortunately they're costly. I got Vitacost brand. CVS drugstore sells their own brand in gelatin capsules (they actually have veg cap fish oil!) for a great price, often get one free. Same typical formula too. I spent an hour in that stupid store obsessing because I was trying to strictly stay on a very tight budget but really wanted them. I also had a $5 off coupon. I left the store, then came back and bought them. It was a really good price, I didn't exactly regret the decision, but it was also a dark time for me. I've written CVS several times about it and please write the companies about their failing to provide veg capsules

I had taken D3 for years under the advice of a former physian who had since retired. When I went vegan I started taking the D2 and for those appx 2 years the bones in my feet felt and acted as though they were fused. I went to different drs trying to establish what the trust I had in my former doctor, and they never once thought of low D. It was from my own research and then that I found D is not a routine test on the yearly bloodwork
I feel ready now to try vegan D3. I just needed a comparison of decent levels on lanolin D3. I'm still only at 30 which is normal low and taking 5000 IU of a good brand. My son got tested having depression, and his was also very low. This was in the summer for us both, and we do get sun, so all i can think is it's a genetic issue with absorption? I don't know, I'd kinda like that DNA test

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 01-18-2017, 10:30 AM

I will try to aim for close to 1:1 omega ratio, but getting 3:1 (6-3) looks pretty easy as long as I don't use any oil and no peanuts (which I used to eat ****loads of). Also I have a friend who is very young (17) and she has something like rheumatoid arthritis (at least the signs show this), she's got it for 3 years, very bad knee joint pain, doctors prescribe dangerous and useless pills so I'm gonna try and make her go vegan (she's a heavy meat eater), I'm really hoping that eliminating omega 6 (to get close to 1:1 ratio) will help this arthritis, according to McDougall it helps a very high (above 50%) percentage of people within a month. I'm not yet using hemp but will try it out, for now I'm aiming for daily 2-3 tablespoon of flax and chia seeds as well, those contain lots of omega3 and fiber.

I'm a house rat (sometimes I don't leave the house for 2 weeks, and 1week is pretty standard) and I always tried to avoid sunshine so I'm quite sure I'm vitamin D deficient (at least I really should be), I didn't feel any change when I took the D2 so I'm curious about this vegan D3 (should arrive this week).

I'm curious about your son since the reason I started to research diets again is because I lost my will to live and kinda had no interest in anything, this is a 5-6year old state, which got gradually worse over time. (it all started with a breakup) About a week ago I eliminated all oils and omega6 seeds/nuts and I immediately noticed that I'm not thinking about the vanity of life anymore, also I can actually sleep 8hours at night, before that I was sleeping at best 3hours at once, then wake up, stay up for 2-3hours, go back to sleep 3hours, I had irregular sleep cycles since I know myself. So getting rid of oil definitely helps loads, I didn't do anything else except remove oil and stopped eating peanuts with crackers. I was also sick from january 3 for about 7-9days, (I guess it was the cold, I didn't take any medication, also got canker sores so it was really hard to eat in the meantime) and now I'm pretty good, except that I lost my sense of smell/taste while I was sick and it didn't fully return yet, my senses are at about 30-40%.

Tags
cyanocobalamin , vitamin b12 , vitamin d2 , vitamin d3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page