Acne after going vegetarian - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 PM

Acne after going vegetarian

Hello everyone!

So, I have had moderate to severe acne since I quit meat. It was, like, a right-after effect. Three weeks without meat and BAM, zits and pimples everywhere on my face. EVERYWHERE. Got my skin more oily than EVER, Eating soy didn't help, it made it worse.

So I went to derms, nutritionists, homeopathic doctors and nothing ever seemed to work until I went on accutane and then, only then it worked. But after a year it's all back. I did an experiment where I ate chicken and fish and during that time not even ONE breakout (that after FOUR years of not consuming meat (at all) and milk and eggs (directly)).

Any ideas about what might be the case here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2016, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you eat a lot of dairy (cheese)? I've heard it can cause acne. Maybe too many processed foods and not enough vegetables? Not drinking enough water?

I have never had any acne problems, and I eat soy regularly, so hard for me to guess.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 12-11-2016, 02:54 AM

I have bad acne too, I don't know if it's related to me being vegetarian (as I am vegetarian since I am 11 years old so I didn't have acne at that point) but I have also heard about dairy products causing skin problems/acne because of the growth hormones they contain.
I started a few days ago with cutting dairy products out of my diet just to try out if my skin gets better from that - maybe you should try that too!

Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.

#4 Old 12-12-2016, 12:10 PM

I have terrible acne and I don't eat cow's milk (allergy), only goat's milk. I find using a mix of animal-friendly skin care products to be helpful. Pacifica's products and Alba's Acnedote line are good.
#5 Old 01-17-2017, 12:11 AM

Do you consume loads of products from peanuts? They can cause ances. Or high salt intake may be your reason. Limiting your salt intake (iodized) is a good idea as studies indicate that many people suffering from acne have increased iodine levels in their blood during acne break-outs. Dairy should also be stayed away.
#6 Old 01-17-2017, 04:01 AM
Kaye

Could soy cause an extreme bout of acne after turning vegetarian/vegan? Especially on the jaw/neckline?
#7 Old 01-18-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayeMelanson View Post
Could soy cause an extreme bout of acne after turning vegetarian/vegan? Especially on the jaw/neckline?
To me that seems very unlikely. I do not consume soy at all and I am currently battling a very extreme case of acne on the jaw/neckline which started about a month ago. But who knows, maybe you have an allergy to it, if so, then eliminating the soy from your diet would give you a chance to see if your face clears up.
#8 Old 01-18-2017, 09:08 AM

Ever since I became a vegetarian the acne on my cheeks has just about disappeared. However, I started getting acne on my forehead and on my jaw and it got really bad about a month ago, but it is getting better. Despite that, my face has become SO oily that it is shiny all day! My skin was never as oily as it is now, as in I will exfoliate my face while in the shower, and even while just cleaned, my face will be shiny but dry and then throughout the day the oil just shows up.

You've been experiencing this for years, but for me it's only been 6 months since I became a vegetarian so this really is a big mystery to me especially since soy has made it worse for you and for others soy is not an issue. There has to be something we all have in common that is causing the increase in acne and oil production on our faces.
#9 Old 01-19-2017, 03:40 AM
Kaye

Thank you.....I will try that.

Kaye

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 01-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Vegan since 1991

The American Academy of Dermatology has specifically addressed the link between diet and acne. Please see this press release from them, dated Februrary 5, 2013: https://www.aad.org/media/news-relea...-diet-and-acne

The American Academy of Dermatology states that:

1. There is evidence that high glycemic-index foods (white bread, chips, white potatoes, refined grain foods) contribute to acne risk / severity.

2. There is weaker evidence that dairy products contribute to acne risk / severity.

The American Academy of Dermatology hasn't made any statement linking acne with vegetarian / vegan diets, meat, or soy foods.

Jamie in Chile likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 01-19-2017 at 12:00 PM.
#11 Old 01-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Very useful post David.

Tags
acne , diet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page