Feeling slow, sluggish, tired, and worn out... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Beginner

I've been a vegetarian for almost two years, and ever since I became one, I've always felt really worn out, pained, slow and sluggish.

I must admit, this is probably my own fault. I don't take any vitamins and don't make up for what I miss though meat. But I really need to change my diet, because I can't go any longer feeling so tired and disgusting all the time.

My mother bought me a bottle of vegetarian vitamins, which I plan on taking as soon as possible. Along with that, what else should I encorperate into my diet?

I need to eat a lot more healthy food, I'm a carb and junkfood magnet.

Can anyone give me some information on Flax seed? What's it for, how does it benefit veggies? Any supplements or foods I could eat that will get me feeling better, I'd love to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Beginner

It important to make sure you are eating a wide variety of foods everyday, lots of fruits and veggies! Try going to fitday.com and entering what you eat in a day and then it can tell you if you're too low on any vitamins, and there's some threads on here about Flax at it's many zillion benefits.

This past weekend I've eaten pretty badly (Birthday Festivities = Tons of Junk Food) and feel pretty tired and sluggish, so what you eat really has a direct effect on how you feel! I need to get back on track tomorrow.
#3 Old 09-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Beginner

Well, I can't imagine that anyone would feel good on a junk-food diet!

Since there is SO much nutrition information out there for vegetarians, there is no way I could put that all in one post! I would recommend reading a good book about vegetarian nutrition. Personally I liked "Being Vegetarian for Dummies"

Also check out the ADA's position paper on vegetarianism, not only is it very affirming but they go into great detail on how to be a healthy vegetarian, how to get certain important vitamins and nutrients, etc. Here's the link: http://www.eatright.org/Public/Nutri...n/92_17084.cfm

About flaxseeds, it's for the omega-3 fatty acids that otherwise you would get from fatty fish. If you don't like flax, walnuts are also a good source.

Good luck and be healthy!
#4 Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Jes
Beginner

Colorful is right - there is SO much information out there.

I'd recommend that you do some reading and start to slowly make changes in your diet. One hint is that as you remove one element, you add another. For instance, if you are a white bread junkie, possibly you could stop eating that and add in whole wheat breads.

Recording your daily eating patterns can really help, too!

Good luck!
#5 Old 09-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Beginner

www.veganhealth.org

don't skip the articles on B12. : )

I've been a junk food and carb addict for a long time too and I'm just starting within the last couple of months to try and turn around my eating habbits. Less junk food, less fast food, more variety in what I eat, replacing all my refined carbs with whole wheats, taking a B12 vitamin and adding flax to my meals. The book "Becoming Vegetarian" is very helpful if you can get yourself to actually read it (it's kinda long and sorta dry for my tastes, but very helpful).
#6 Old 09-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Beginner

Read the nutritional FAQ in this forum. It will help get you started.
#7 Old 09-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Beginner

Nobody seems to mention protein. MusicWithNoBand everyone here is right on the button and as you see the main concern for vegetarians is to make sure they make a point to get enough B-12 and Omega 3 fatty acids (flax seed). But don't forget the protien. You probably should get atleast 50 grams a day. If you eat eggs they are the MOST complete source of protien (they contain all of the amino acids). You might also want to make a point to have the vegetarian products found in the freezer of the vegetarian section in your supermaket such as boca burgers, morningstar and gardenburger. They are a quick tasty way to get your protiens.

To take away that sluggish feeling reduce or omit the refined carbs and make sure to have plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
#8 Old 09-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother4 View Post

Nobody seems to mention protein.

Another motivation to switch from refined grains to whole grains. Whole grains are actually a great source of protein!

Soybeans are the only plant source of complete protein (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this). But as long as you get a variety of whole grains and legumes, you don't need to worry about your amino acids.

Iron is another one. Iron deficiency anemia can cause you to feel sluggish and worn out. Do you like cream of wheat? Most Cream of Wheat is fortified with a ton of iron, like 60 - 70% of what you need in a day. I find that's a pretty painless source. Other sources include spinach, peas, chickpeas, soybeans, potatoes, great northern beans, lima beans, prune juice, figs, dried apricots, dates, and strawberries.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page