Stomach is big, hungry all the time - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 07-21-2016, 06:52 AM

Unhappy Stomach is big, hungry all the time

I switch to vegetarian 3 weeks ago, and it first started out good, eventually after transitioning, i got bad diahreah for about a week, it then went away. Now for the past 3 days my stomach has looked abnormally big, it looks like i ate the whole buffet, and someimes I barely eat anything. I haven't had as much bowel movements normally as I would. I used to eat smoothies and peanut butter on bread for breakfast but I cut all that out to see if it would lower my stomach but it hasnt. I drink water, but my stomach is so big. I eat breakfaat, lunch and dinner, but I'm still hungry all the time. I'm trying to lose weight but now since my stomach has looked larger I have gained like 5 pounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Plant Powered

If you have increased your fiber intake (which you most likely have if you've begun replacing meat with beans, lentils, etc). then your body will take some time to get used to it. Depending how much fiber you were getting before, it can be a real shock to the system. This can definitely cause bloating, and changes in digestion including all sorts of interesting bathroom things LOL. It will pass, but in the meantime try taking plant based digestive enzymes with every meal to help ease the discomfort, and continue drinking lots of water.

As far as being hungry all the time, veg*n food is typically lower in calories than a standard American diet (unless you're eating tons of nuts, avocados, etc.) so especially if you're not eating much, it's very likely you actually need to increase your caloric intake. Definitely do NOT stop eating - starving yourself will only cause a myriad of additional problems, and is not healthy at all.
#3 Old 07-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by MereSerenity View Post
I switch to vegetarian 3 weeks ago, and it first started out good, eventually after transitioning, i got bad diahreah for about a week, it then went away. Now for the past 3 days my stomach has looked abnormally big, it looks like i ate the whole buffet, and someimes I barely eat anything. I haven't had as much bowel movements normally as I would. I used to eat smoothies and peanut butter on bread for breakfast but I cut all that out to see if it would lower my stomach but it hasnt. I drink water, but my stomach is so big. I eat breakfaat, lunch and dinner, but I'm still hungry all the time. I'm trying to lose weight but now since my stomach has looked larger I have gained like 5 pounds

Stomach bloat can be caused by intestinal gas. According to the reputable Mayo Clinic, certain very healthy foods (like beans) can contribute to intestinal gas: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/art-20044739

You might find it useful to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian (R.D.) who specializes in digestive issues, and in vegetarian nutrition. In the United States, you can find a local R.D. through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' website. Just click on the red "Find An Expert" button in the upper right-hand corner of the webpage: http://www.eatright.org .

A Registered Dietitian can also help you to plan a satisfying, delicious vegetarian diet that supports your weight loss goals.

Symondezyn likes this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 07-21-2016 at 05:23 PM.

#4 Old 07-26-2016, 03:11 AM

Stomach distension is probably from gas from consuming a lot of soluble fiber, which is found in beans, peas, oats, barley, onions, figs, bananas...or from too much fructose from apples, pears, mango or honey...
#5 Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikecabbage View Post
Stomach distension is probably from gas from consuming a lot of soluble fiber, which is found in beans, peas, oats, barley, onions, figs, bananas...or from too much fructose from apples, pears, mango or honey...

Oh no! This post makes it sound like every single healthy food is going to give you gas and a distended stomach. It's actually not like this.

Different foods contains different amounts of soluble fiber. Here is more information, from the Dietitians of Canada: http://www.dietitians.ca/Downloads/F...ble-Fibre.aspx

LedBoots and Naturebound like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#6 Old 09-05-2016, 09:36 AM

It sound stop me like you're just bloated from the new diet change so your body just needs some time to adjust eat foods with high water content to help your digestion, and once the bloating has gone down eat foods high in fiber to help clean out your intestines. Also, try to stay away from dairy because it can cause constipation and is also not the best food for weight loss. Good luck!! I promise it gets better
#7 Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 AM

It's important to note that bloating and gas is NOT GOING TO BE PERMANENT. Even though fiber is good for your body, it has a hard time adjusting to larger increases in fiber at once. once your body adjusts this shouldn't be a problem!

When I spoke to a nutritionalist she said that eating small portions every three hours should be "normal"as long as I am still getting the normal amount of calories ( not eating more over all but spreading it out better). In fact she suggested this "snacking throughout the day" will give my body more energy than eating three large meals a day.

I felt hungry ALL THE TIME the first or second week I was vegan. I think I wasn't really sure what to eat. Look up some recipes and make sure you have some substantial foods in your diet. not just fruits and veggies.

Tags
bloated , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page