Is my diet causing my pain?! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Auxin

#1 Old 04-18-2016, 04:11 AM

Exclamation Is my diet causing my pain?!

Hey everybody. I'm 15 and have been a vegetarian for 3 years. I have come to ask you all a question. For the last year and a half, I've had quite painful chronic stomach aches. The doctors haven't found anything despite a variety of tests. To get to the point; all I have to ask of you, is whether that could possibly have any correlation with my diet. Are there any vitamins that could, if not taken, cause this. I consider myself to be a relatively health eater, yet I do have Quorn for nearly every meal; does that mess with anything? If anybody would be able to answer (please), i'd be thoroughly grateful. Thanks for taking the time to read anyway: whether you're able to answer or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

You don't need to eat Quorn at (nearly) every meal.

But we can't answer your question if we don't know what you eat during a week.

I know several (lifelong) vegetarians, and none of them has health problems which are caused by not eating meat. I don't eat Quorn at all.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3 Old 04-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quorn is made up of mycoproteins, something like mushrooms, and is known to cause digestive issues in some people, some pretty serious.
I'd suggest leaving it alone for at least two weeks and see how you feel!
Good luck!

Not an issue from what you don't eat though

#4 Old 04-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Oryzatarian

And if that doesnt fix it, systematically test everything you routinely eat with emphasis on stuff thats new in the last two years.

I've got a cast iron stomach, I can happily eat tree bark and pine cones, but if I eat chocolate I'm in pain for 8 days straight. Some people are just sensitive to certain foods.
LedBoots likes this.
#5 Old 04-18-2016, 10:51 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bubbles View Post
Hey everybody. I'm 15 and have been a vegetarian for 3 years. I have come to ask you all a question. For the last year and a half, I've had quite painful chronic stomach aches. The doctors haven't found anything despite a variety of tests. To get to the point; all I have to ask of you, is whether that could possibly have any correlation with my diet. Are there any vitamins that could, if not taken, cause this. I consider myself to be a relatively health eater, yet I do have Quorn for nearly every meal; does that mess with anything? If anybody would be able to answer (please), i'd be thoroughly grateful. Thanks for taking the time to read anyway: whether you're able to answer or not.
It's probably the Quorn and not the vegetarianism. If you get painful stomach issues, is it accompanied by severe gas? Do you have Irish or Scottish in your blood?

Celiac sprue is pretty rare, but that can be the issue also if it's accompanied by other things. You might have a sensitivity to the Quorn or to something else you eat regularly. Try subbing out other meat alternatives and see if the pain goes away within a couple of weeks. If it doesn't, try allergy tests. It might be a mild allergy to something you're eating.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
Do you have Irish or Scottish in your blood?
Not to sound dumb, but what does this have to do with that? Do people with more Irish and/or Scottish in them have more Celiac Disease? Im just curious.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
#7 Old 04-18-2016, 11:56 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Not to sound dumb, but what does this have to do with that? Do people with more Irish and/or Scottish in them have more Celiac Disease? Im just curious.

I've found the correlation in my nutritional practice, though I'm not sure if there are any conclusive studies about it. Nearly every celiac's patient I've seen, treated, or guided to diagnosis has had Irish/Scottish heritage, including my hubby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 04-18-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I've found the correlation in my nutritional practice, though I'm not sure if there are any conclusive studies about it. Nearly every celiac's patient I've seen, treated, or guided to diagnosis has had Irish/Scottish heritage, including my hubby.
Oh thats very interesting! Thanks for the info!

Last edited by lockie; 04-18-2016 at 12:03 PM.
#9 Old 04-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Thanks man! I'll give it a shot
#10 Old 04-19-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
It's probably the Quorn and not the vegetarianism. If you get painful stomach issues, is it accompanied by severe gas? Do you have Irish or Scottish in your blood?

Celiac sprue is pretty rare, but that can be the issue also if it's accompanied by other things. You might have a sensitivity to the Quorn or to something else you eat regularly. Try subbing out other meat alternatives and see if the pain goes away within a couple of weeks. If it doesn't, try allergy tests. It might be a mild allergy to something you're eating.
I've got celtic blood, my dad is Scottish.... what could that mean Alikai
#11 Old 04-19-2016, 03:50 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bubbles View Post
I've got celtic blood, my dad is Scottish.... what could that mean Alikai
Like I noted above, you might want to get tested for celiacs if wheat and barley are also mainstays in your diet. Some of those symptoms are similar to the early signs my hubby showed for it.

Tags
health

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page