• 1 Post By Ad Elie
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Auxin
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 2 Post By TerriNC
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 PM

Pros and Cons of Quitting Caffeine?

I am considering quitting caffeine, and am not sure if it is worth it. I have been drinking coffee regularly for about 8 years. I currently drink 2 cups of coffee per day.

I am curious if anyone else has tried this and what their experience was. I am hesitant to try because I think there are both advantages and disadvantages to drinking coffee/tea. I am also concerned about the headaches and my energy levels during that time.

Has anyone else tried quitting caffeine? How long was the withdrawal? How long did it take for energy levels to return? How bad were the headaches? Is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

I quit for about three months when I was pregnant. My intention was to avoid caffeine for the entire pregnancy, but I couldn't quite make it that long. I was, and still am, a bit of a coffee addict.

I did notice a definite decrease in energy and some pretty awful headaches, but only for about a week after quitting. The physical withdrawal wasn't so bad, certainly much easier than with cigarettes-- but it's very difficult to break the habit. Mornings were unpleasant for the first month or so because I missed the ritual and the comfort of sipping a hot beverage before getting dressed for work. I eventually replaced it with decaffeinated tea, which helped.

If you really want to quit, it's absolutely feasible. Personally, I decided to start drinking it again after my first trimester. At the level you're using it, caffeine is likely doing you no harm. In fact, there is reason to believe that moderate amounts of caffeine can even be slightly beneficial. If you're feeling anxious and jittery, though, or having trouble sleeping-- or if you just don't want to be dependent on it-- then quitting caffeine is totally doable.
#3 Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Give peas a chance

I used to drink a 2-litre bottle of diet mountain dew every day, which is about the same amount of caffeine as 2 cups of coffee. I didn't particularly like the taste, but it helped keep my energy going while I worked, which was especially important when I had important deadlines. But that was a lot of nasty stuff I was putting into my body and I wanted to see if I could do without it.

It was a few years ago, but I think I eased off of it.... diluting it with ever increasing amounts of fruit juice, then moving from fruit juice to non-caffeinated iced teas. I did get little headaches, but I kicked the physiological addiction in about 10 days.

The difference is that when I was drinking all that caffeine my work day was like a rollercoaster, with my energy going up and down, up and down. Without it my energy level is even throughout the day. I'm definitely more focused too. I definitely prefer living without it.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#4 Old 10-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Chaotic Vegetarian

I used to drink lots of tea, and a nice volume of coffee. Had a lack of iron, so I switched to herbal teas but I still drink tea or coffee once a day. I cut it completely if I'm tired, and don't experience headaches or any bad stuff.
My breakfast drink is now chicory (without milk). I find it a nice alternative to morning coffee and I hope you can find it in your country !

Look how cute this chicory farmer is ! We must buy his stuff !
Naturebound likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !
#5 Old 10-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Ease off the caffeine to reduce withdrawal symptoms. I am one who thinks caffeine is not good for me, so I avoid it except a bit in dark chocolate every now and then.
no whey jose likes this.
#6 Old 10-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
...a definite decrease in energy and some pretty awful headaches, but only for about a week after quitting.
This jives well with my experience. I started drinking coffee daily in 1994 and a few months ago when doing an elimination diet to sort out a medical issue I quit coffee to see what effect that would have.
The first day showed no substantial effect, the second day I had a headache all day which was doubly annoying because my cure for headaches is an aspirin washed down with coffee, I also felt constantly drowsy and irritable. On day 3 the headache was gone and from days 3 through 7 the fatigue and irritability steadily diminished to nothing.
I then went back on coffee
I'm strongly considering going off caffeinated coffee for good as addiction is a needless fetter. If I do so, this time I'll taper off. On week 1 I'll mix 4 scoops coffee with 3 of decaf and use that for my customary morning cup of coffee, on week 2 I'll mix 2 scoops coffee with 5 of decaf and use that. On week 3 I'll go to pure decaf and put the remaining regular coffee in my medicine chest next to the aspirin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
...chicory...
I was once gifted a small can of chickory-coffee, a mix of the two. It promptly and very effectively stained my teeth black, apparently a good look for feudal era japanese women but my peers didnt consider it sexy. If chickory concoctions begin to stain teeth a bit of creamer or a few crushed lentils added in before brewing may reduce the effect, as the proteins would bind the stain causing polyphenols.
Just a tangential thought for people who dont want to look like a wealthy japanese woman from an old black and white samurai film.
no whey jose likes this.
#7 Old 10-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

My grandparents drank a chickory coffee! There teeth weren't darkened though. I thought it was nasty....

I'm considering giving up coffee. I used to drink it at all hours of the day. Now i'm down to 3 mugs in the morning. I love the taste, and when I ate ice cream it was one of my favorite flavors.
I really want to give it up because I don't want to pay for fair trade, shade grown, and don't want to buy any other. That, and I would like to free up space on my small kitchen counter
no whey jose likes this.
#8 Old 10-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried matcha? The dried tea leaves that are really full of antioxidents and other good things, including good energy?
I'm thinking of doing that, but again, price. Prices range all over the place and I don't know how much difference there is
#9 Old 10-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Formerly Sick-Now Healthy

I gave up coffee a little over a year ago. Definitely had withdrawal symptoms for nearly a week- headache, foggy head, etc. BUT, it was worth it. Now, I feel great and sleep much, much better.

There's a product called Teecchino that I drink in the mornings now. It taste very much like coffee. I get the chocolate flavor. It's all natural ingredients: Organic Carob, Organic Barley, Organic Chicory, Organic Ramon Nuts, Natural Chocolate Flavor, Organic Cocoa, Organic Chile Flakes.

Here's a link to amazon, if you want to read more about it and see all of the flavors they offer. http://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Organ...4X370GHZYR8343
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

EatPlant-Based.com
#10 Old 10-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

^That looks good!
TerriNC likes this.
#11 Old 11-03-2015, 02:10 PM

Quitting Coffee Cons:

1. You will lose a ritual
2. Your friends might think your some weird health freak
3. You may get withdrawal symptoms
4. You will miss out on the exhilarating feeling of using a stimulant drug

Quitting Coffee Pros

1. Reduced acidity in the body. Coffee is somewhat acidic, especially if you are drinking more than one cup a day.
2. Increased cellular hydration. Many things can dehydrate the body and coffee is one of them.
3. Reduced tax on the immune system/boost in immune function. The stimulating effect of drinking coffee is not actually from the caffeine itself, but actually from the adrenal and immune response to the ingestion of caffeine.
4. Teeth gonna look better.
5. You may sleep better. Coffee can often mask sleep deprivation because it allows one to mask the tired feeling which will encourage sleeping (i.e. going to bed earlier)
6. You will feel encouraged to eat more regularly and to eat a more nutritious diet. This is because the fake energy coffee provides will often result in skipping meals (many people such as body builders and models use it when they are severely calorie restricting). Coffee can also be used to masked the lethargy of a poor diet, and as such quitting coffee may emplore you to eat a more nutritious diet.
7. If coffee is a crutch/problem/addiction for you, removing that from your life can only be beneficial.

I think drinking coffee sometimes is alright, but for me personally I'm just really not interested. I haven't drunk coffee in about two years except for one time a few months ago out of curiosity, and I really wasn't titillated at all. It's bitter and unappealing. I'd rather drink something delicious like peppermint or hibiscus tea.
#12 Old 11-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriNC View Post
I gave up coffee a little over a year ago. Definitely had withdrawal symptoms for nearly a week- headache, foggy head, etc. BUT, it was worth it. Now, I feel great and sleep much, much better.

There's a product called Teecchino that I drink in the mornings now. It taste very much like coffee. I get the chocolate flavor. It's all natural ingredients: Organic Carob, Organic Barley, Organic Chicory, Organic Ramon Nuts, Natural Chocolate Flavor, Organic Cocoa, Organic Chile Flakes.

Here's a link to amazon, if you want to read more about it and see all of the flavors they offer. http://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Organ...4X370GHZYR8343
That sounds dreadful I don't like carob, barley belongs in soup, chickory in a field, don't want to taste Ramons' nuts, don't like spice with my chocolate---so that leaves me with COCOA!!!!!!
#13 Old 11-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Formerly Sick-Now Healthy

I thought it sounded pretty bad too, but was very pleasantly surprised when I tried it. Those ingredients seem so strange to me, but it's crazy how good it is!

EatPlant-Based.com
#14 Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
No flesh since 99'

I gave up coffee about a year and a half ago (when I went vegan and started getting into raw). I definitely had some withdrawals, headaches and drowsy but nothing too bad. I replaced coffee with fresh orange juice or a nice big smoothie.

Tags
caffeine , health

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page