Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By EpicJinx
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By David3

#1 Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Beginner

Exclamation Lack of motivation

Hey all! Jinx again! Just wanted to say about my new found illness... It's been 3 months roughly since ive been dealing with dry eyes, fish oil helps a little. Going to try biotears, if that fails other products. Here's the problem thought, i have depression so when i cry it makes me feel better but because of this illness i have a huge lack of tears, castor oil helps but hoping it wont be long til i feel better. I'm so depressed even more so, i miss my white coloured eyes... it looks red and constricting in veins/vessels. My boyfriend helps me keep somewhat going I find it so hard to stay motivated, he keeps telling me things will change, i know it will. But its like, how long? Will it be this? Or something else? I dont get infections or burning, gladly... I'm trying to fix it before it gets anymore worse... But I find im lacking motivation, I was on anti-depressants before, but im debating wont this make matters worse? Is there anything that can lift my mood? I thought my depression was gone Sadlyy not the case.... crying: I'm sorry if this is highly depressive. It's just so hard, i find it difficult doing things i use to do before hand, im only 18... I know its menopause that caused it. It just drives me through the wall, I know once i get it better I want to wear make up and contacts... I'm not right now, because my eyes look ugly and it would make it worse. I know my oil glands are unblocked because when i wake up i get yellow dried up crusts. Most days i feel like screaming and wondering why the hell did it have to happen to me? (i know its selfish) But i loath this, i never thought it would happen. I've tried vitamins, eyesight Rx, and evening primrose which did not help me, only fish oil. Help...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Vegan

Have you spoken to your doctor?

The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men. ~ Alice Walker
#3 Old 03-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Beginner

Yes they are useless keep sending me to opticians who just give me eye drops which make my condition worse.
Grace Steps likes this.

#4 Old 03-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

My allergies are coming on strong, and with them come dry itchy eyes. I always use drops before bed. The antihistimine ones work best. not saying you have allergies though...

Rinsing with a saline solution before bed is a good thing. You shouldn't wake up crusty that way.
Is there any discharge? Have you been tested for dry eyes, like where they put a strip of paper on your eyeball and then check it?

Have you discussed everything you're taking with your doctor? Meds, and over the counter things can cause dry eyes.

I don't know how fish oil would help. There are vegan algae DHA caps that do the same.

You don't think your'e eating/drinking anything different? Around any new cleaners, personal products, from yourself or others? Maybe you should start a journal for when and where it happens most.

Is this adding to your depression, or they both occur at the same time?

"It's just so hard, i find it difficult doing things i use to do before hand, im only 18... I know its menopause that caused it."---could you clarify that?
#5 Old 03-24-2015, 12:15 AM
Beginner

Menopause is one of the biggest causes and it happened around before Christmas, thats when it happened. I dont have any gunk or that, fish oil helps oil glands for dry eyes just that. I've been tested and got diagnoised with it, and also it's adding to my depression i already have it.
#6 Old 03-24-2015, 12:16 AM
Beginner

Ive had it since winter and its most common that inflammtion happens, it's all the time i hate computers but I have to as im at college.
#7 Old 03-24-2015, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

EpicJinx

I am so sorry that you are struggling with depression. I understand that struggle and how hard it can be to overcome. I am also in surgical menopause as I lost both ovaries when I was 33 years old in 2005 and I understand the hell of that. I am on a hormone replacement patch as I can not live without it. I literally could not function at all with hotflashes, nightsweats, mood swings, anxiety and crying spells, body aches and joint pain, migraines, you name it. I know ALL ABOUT abrupt menopause at a young age. It is entirely possible, if your eye problems and depression are from some kind of menopause (whether from ovarian dysfunction or being too severely underweight or any number of causes) that a hormone replacement could really help instead of an antidepressant. Replacing the estrogen I lost (it took me three years to find a hormone replacement my body would absorb evenly and that raised my levels) made all the difference for my dry skin and to stop my hair falling out. I didn't have the eye problem, but I used to post on a surgical menopause online forum and it isn't uncommon for people in menopause to experience severe eye dryness. I can't think of what that is called. Sometimes younger women suffering menopause are put on a stronger birth control to control symptoms. Have you ever looked into this? My hormone replacement gave me back my life and helped lessen that terrible depression and mood swings I had. No antidepressant could do that because what my body was screaming for were the hormones it was missing.

I also take a vegan DHA/EPA on occasion. It is called DEVA brand and I order it online and one bottle lasts me three months or more. No need to take fish oil. You can also get omega 3s from plant sources like ground flaxseeds, walnuts, avocado and so on. There is also flaxseed oil that some people swear by. I know a lot of menopausal women use primrose oil too. I think you might have mentioned that.

I also want to mention that I had a LOT of regret having allowed the surgeon to take my ovaries when I had my uterus out for endometriosis. I did not wake up expecting to lose my ovaries. I never again want to relive the nightmare I went through those f irst few years of menopause. I wanted to die every day. I lost the person I was before. I unexpectedly developed anorexia nervosa as a means to cope with losing my whole identity and to cope with the severe changes my body went through without ovaries. I went through that for six years and now have severe osteoporosis both from losing my ovaries, years of hormone problems, and the anorexia. I still struggle with my body. I had a wonderful doctor and therapist who both helped me get through it all. It is very very important to have a good support system, to have people around you who get it and understand. Menopause at our age is not a walk in the park, and not natural. Depression is also serious business.

At any rate, to sum it up, I'll bet some kind of prescription hormone replacement would help you. Sometimes a combination of natural progesterone and estradiol really helps women with dry eye sockets. I know there are prescriptions out there just for that problem too. And eating a diet with some nuts and seeds each day, maybe some avocado and coconut, can help with lubrication and dryness too. Do you have a doctor you are working with? What does he/she say and what have they tried for you? Surely fish oil can't be the only solution. If so, like I said, try vegan DHA. It can be hard to find locally (try your local healthfood store if there is one as they might have it) but you can order a three month supply online (or if you just want to "try" it first order a smaller sample). Best wishes to you and just know you are not alone.
leedsveg likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 03-24-2015, 03:09 AM
Beginner

I was on setraline and cetalopram, to help relieve it. I was on the pill years ago but stopped, I got tests for hormones saying it was okay never knew you could use that for dry eyes? I'm just tired, at red eyes i cry very few tears my bf will buy me anything that will help its just so hard for me right now I'm having more bad days than good, evening primrose didnt help in tear production as why I bought it, i just feel horrible, giving up, dying anything more than this...
#9 Old 03-24-2015, 03:26 AM
Beginner

My depression is due to another reason, but is now worse due to dry eyes.
#10 Old 03-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Vegan since 1991

HI EpicJinx,

Your level of depression is extremely serious. Have you told your psychiatrist that you're having suicidal thoughts? This may be uncomfortable, but you may want to consider inpatient psychiatry (spend a few days at the hospital).
Naturebound likes this.
#11 Old 03-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Beginner

No, I haven't because i quit after stopping my meds with psychologists help, but it's become worse due to having dry eyes, thinking i might need meds again.
#12 Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Vegan since 1991

HI EpicJinx,

Please make an appointment with your psychiatrist ASAP. Please have them start you on meds ASAP. It's dangerous to continue with such severe depression.

Please let us know how you're doing.
#13 Old 03-25-2015, 01:02 AM
Beginner

I think I might until my other issue resolves, it's only triggered badly due to this illness.

Tags
help dry eyes , motivation , tired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page