VeggieBoards banner

Is Anyone Else on Here Plant-Based, Whole Food?

7K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  tokyobags 
#1 ·
I'm just curious if anyone else on here does plant-based, whole foods, little or no oil.

I went plant-based 2 years ago for health reasons, and have been transitioning to little to no oil in the last year.

Even though I didn't switch for ethical reasons, I'm a huge animal lover. I was a federal and NC licensed wildlife rehabilitator for many years. We cared for sick, injured, and orphaned wildlife providing medical care until they were well (or old enough) to be released back into their natural environment. It was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. We had hundreds of animals come through each year.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else is doing the healthy vegan stuff. In addition to not eating meat and dairy, I also don't do many processed foods and no junk foods. My health has improved tremendously, and I lost over 40 lbs. I don't see anyone on here post about being plant-based, so I thought I'd ask. :)

#2 ·
I'm slightly confused...All vegans eat plant-based foods...Are you referring to raw veganism? :)

Reactions: MozIsMyShepherd
#3 · (Edited)
Hi Go Vegan,

My daughter calls herself a vegan, for strictly ethical reasons, and she eats chips, oreos, and a number of other items that are actually vegan foods, but not so good for health.

When I say I'm plant-based, whole foods, I just mean that, not only do I not eat any animal products, I also don't eat most processed foods or junk foods. My daughter describes me as being stricter than her. I do eat a lot of raw, but am not strictly raw. I cook a whole lot. I try to stay away from most or all oil, etc. I use whole grains like barley, millet, bulgur, etc., eat lots of beans, veggies, and fruit. When I use flours, they are unbleached and from whole grains like spelt flour, whole wheat, rice flour, barley flour, etc.

I had a number of health issues that cleared up when I started eating what I would say is very healthy vegan.

The plant-based folks are ones that try to follow doctors such as Dr. Colin Campbell (The China Study), Dr. Neal Barnard (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and author of books like: Breaking the Food Seduction, Reversing Diabetes, Cancer Survivors Guide, and many more), Dr. John McDougal (The Starch Solution), and Dr. Esselstyn (Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease).

I was just wondering if anyone else on here goes that far and considers themselves plant-based, whole foods. I wish there was another, simpler name or way of describing it, but I don't think anyone has come up with it yet. ;)

#11 ·
Hi Go Vegan,

My daughter calls herself a vegan, for strictly ethical reasons, and she eats chips, oreos, and a number of other items that are actually vegan foods, but not so good for health.

When I say I'm plant-based, whole foods, I just mean that, not only do I not eat any animal products, I also don't eat most processed foods or junk foods. My daughter describes me as being stricter than her. I do eat a lot of raw, but am not strictly raw. I cook a whole lot. I try to stay away from most or all oil, etc. I use whole grains like barley, millet, bulgur, etc., eat lots of beans, veggies, and fruit. When I use flours, they are unbleached and from whole grains like spelt flour, whole wheat, rice flour, barley flour, etc.

I had a number of health issues that cleared up when I started eating what I would say is very healthy vegan.

The plant-based folks are ones that try to follow doctors such as Dr. Colin Campbell (The China Study), Dr. Neal Barnard (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and author of books like: Breaking the Food Seduction, Reversing Diabetes, Cancer Survivors Guide, and many more), Dr. John McDougal (The Starch Solution), and Dr. Esselstyn (Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease).

I was just wondering if anyone else on here goes that far and considers themselves plant-based, whole foods. I wish there was another, simpler name or way of describing it, but I don't think anyone has come up with it yet. ;)
Hi there! Thanks for explaining :)

Reactions: TerriNC
#4 ·
Many many people on here are largely or entirely whole foods. I try my best most days with my lunch and dinner being whole foods, my breakfast is still a starbucks drink (and not something I'm looking to change right now).

I've been off oil for a loooooong time though.

#6 ·
Years ago, when my daughter still lived at home, I would buy the mint cream? Oreos for her because they were supposedly vegan. That very well might have changed since then. There are some delicious vegan restaurants in Nashville where she lives now. We've gone to a couple with her, and they do have some delicious food, but much of it has lots of processed stuff in it. I indulge once in awhile, but my body definitely knows it. There was another restaurant in Asheville, NC where she went to college, it was called Rossetta's Kitchen. Completely vegan, and admittedly delicious, but one of my favorite things there was vegan chili cheese fries. You know that wasn't whole foods. But it was good! ;) Once in awhile, but definitely not beneficial for health.

For most meals, I try to eat 70% complex carbs (mostly whole grains), and the rest a mixture of legumes (I love all kinds), veggies, and fruit. This target seems to keep me the healthiest and all my medical issues at bay. If I sway too much or too often (eating processed foods or much oil), my joints begin to get inflamed again.

I never believed food was that important before 2 years ago. I just thought all my medical issues needed yet another pill. I had no idea the control I had over it. I thought I was just getting older and had to live with all of the pains because they were a natural part of aging. Now I know and am in control of my body. It's an amazing and empowering feeling!

#8 ·
I am vegan for the animals and the earth mostly. My health has been good my whole life thus far at 56, I've been lucky, though I'm sure my decade of veganism has helped. I eat lots of whole foods, far more than the recommended "5 a day" fruits and vegetables, far less fat than omnis, but also eat chocolate, use some oil in cooking, use white rice, flour, and sugar sometimes. I cook every day, and make all kinds of food, and also eat weekday lunches at my work cafeteria. And I like oreos. :D

#9 ·
You are talking about a non-processed whole food diet. That's the way to get healthy. The more raw and light cooking the better. Look into the practice of food combining, it is another great step in healthy consuming.
That is a step behind going all out to raw and anyone who has can relate to the diet and benefits you are talking about.
Remember that the health problems are not far away and even after decades of eating well may not be fully healed. Sometimes it takes longer than expected. 20 years of junk eating can take a long time to cleanse from the body and mind.
Glad that you have found that and hope and encourage you to stick to it forever!

#10 ·
I used to be a young, fried food / junk food vegan. Now that I'm in my 40s, I follow the whole foods, no oil vegan diet that you describe. During my 23 years of veganism, my doctor visits and checkups have always come out well.

#12 ·
It's good advice to modify your diet as you get older I think :)

#13 ·
Sounds like there are a lot of folks on here that eat similar to what I do. I wasn't sure, so that's fantastic! Were many of you able to heal your body eating this way? My health issues included swollen painful joints, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, acne all my life including adult acne that I was taking an antibiotic for, sleeping issues, tiredness, major female issues that had me popping NSAIDS and other pills WAAAY over the recommended dosage (no telling what damage my liver and kidneys sustained during those years, but my bloodwork is ok). Lots of bad health issues run in my family, including the autoimmune disease rheumatoid arthritis that disabled my mom when she was 55. I was showing signs of RA too (started when I was 35, and I'm 47 now), but my blood factors weren't showing it yet. But neither did my mom's for many years, at first, even though she was suffering the symptoms.

I'm sure it will take years for my body to heal from all the damage I did to it eating the Standard American Diet, but I'm basically symptom-free now. I still have flare ups when I eat certain things, or if I eat in a restaurant and don't know exactly what's in something. But, that's not often. Unfortunately, I haven't been successful in getting my mother onboard. I really believe a lot of her issues could be healed too. Right now she's on about 17 pills each day (with all the side effects of each one), and a number of shots that a nurse comes into her home and gives her on a regular basis. She also has shots in her back every 6 months or so to deaden areas causing pain. Breaks my heart! :'(

Anyway, nice to know there's a lot of us on here. Great way to support and encourage each other! Looking forward to sharing the journey with you! :D

#14 ·
Yup, there are quite a few of us here.
I'm about as whole food as I can get without going raw vegan. I went vegan 4 years ago, and for the last 3 years I've eaten fresh home cooked whole foods made from scratch every day- nothing from factories or with added sweeteners or oil, no sweet drinks at all and no sweet food unless its alive. I have a 2800 sq ft garden for nearly free organic produce (despite its size my yearly gardening budget is $20-40 USD :laugh: ) My most junk-foody snack now is white rice and steamed vegetables. I do use small amounts of oil in winter, but only because I recompound vitamin D into the oil and use 3/4 tsp per day with dinner.
After instituting all that my stamina went through the roof and my joints got stronger, sunlight no longer bothers my eyes (thank you, kale), I dont need pain killers any more despite a bad back and damaged ribs, and all digestive issues vanished. I almost never get sick now and I'm the last male over 15 in my extended family who doesnt look like he's pregnant, and I'm 35.
Its actually quite fun, and the foods much more satisfying now since every meal is exactly as I want it and I dont have to obtain food by yelling into a plastic clowns head in a drive through and praying they get it right.

#15 ·
I'm on my way back to whole food eating!
I like that you distinguish between healthy plant based and vegan. Vegan means nothing from animals - not health.
Lately I've gotten on a sugar binges and man do my joints hate it!
I'm getting back to green morning drinks with tumeric and ginger.

Auxin - how do you mean "I recompound vitamin D into the oil and use 3/4 tsp per day with dinner."

I supplemented Devas' calcium, mag and D2 for a long time, with D2 at 100% Rda (even more in fortified foods). I got tested and my levels were at about 11! I've been taking 10000 of D3 for the last month and it's been an amazing difference
Do you use vegan D3 or 2?

#19 ·
I'm on my way back to whole food eating!
I like that you distinguish between healthy plant based and vegan. Vegan means nothing from animals - not health.
Lately I've gotten on a sugar binges and man do my joints hate it!
I'm getting back to green morning drinks with tumeric and ginger.

QUOTE]

Silva, this makes my heart smile big. It's truly amazing how much power food has to heal the body. I'm living proof! :)

#16 ·
Recompounding is the pharmacy term for taking a finished drug product and transforming it into a new finished drug product.

In mid-october I get the strongest vitamin D pills I can find and a 500 ml bottle of extra virgin olive oil. I do the math to work out how many pills would yield a 5 month supply at the desired dosage (this year its 2000 IU per day, last year I think I used 1250, finishing off a open pill bottle) then I go to work putting the D into the oil. I stab the end of a pill with my pocket knife, squeeze out a couple drops, draw in some air, and squeeze out the rest (drawing in the air really helps, theres some skill to it but its not hard to learn). Once all pills are emptied into the oil I shake it up real well, mark the bottle off roughly in fifths, and aim to consume it evenly throughout the next 5 months.
A bit of vitamin E can be added to, if one is feeling frisky. :cool:

B12 I recompound into powder. I get cheap 1,000 mcg B12 pills, powder them well, and mix with white rice flour. Then with a little scooper I cut from a pop can I add a quantity containing roughly 25-50 mcg to my dinner when I add the spices at the end. I also add some to each weeks batch of bread.
I specify cheap pills because they powder better (chalkier and a thinner coating) and studies have shown that accuracy of dosage in american vitamins has nothing at all to do with price.
I use white rice flour so its compatible with everything, but other powders can be used. Cinnamon, coffee creamer, chilli powder, whatever. If a cinnamon-sugar mix has B12 in, I imagine it wouldnt be difficult getting a child to take their vitamin ;)

#20 ·
Auxin, your knowledge blows my mind! Are you a pharmacist? Scientist? If not, you might need to consider it ;).

I'm doing a little experiment with my vitamin D. I've been eating this way for 2 years, but have never had it tested. Currently, I'm trying to get out in the sun as much as I can (3-4 days a week, for 30+ minutes) though I've been told it won't work this time of year. That may be true because I live in southwest NC. We'll find out next month, because I plan to have it checked and see where I stand. If it's too low, I'll know I've done everything I can to get it naturally, so it'll be time for a supplement, at least during the winter months. Hopefully though, it will be normal. There has to be so much more going on with sun exposure than just vitamin D, that we don't know about yet. Whether my vitamin D levels are in normal range or not, when I get them checked next month, I just feel better when I get out in the sun everyday, even in the winter months. There's got to be more than just serotonin, mood boosters, going on too. Like when people eat oranges for vitamin C, they are getting SO MUCH MORE than C. I truly believe when I'm out in the sun for vitamin D, I'm getting tens or hundreds more benefits than just D. I can feel it.

I have great spot to sit in the sun that blocks me from most any wind that might be blowing. I'm able to sit out there in shorts and short sleeves, even if it's in the 40's. As long as I'm in the direct sunlight with no wind, I'm completely comfortable. Luckily, I'm home from work by 2:30 p.m. most days and am able to hop out there a few times a week early enough to catch the rays.

Guess I'll see next month if it's enough to keep my vitamin D numbers where they need to be. I'm hopeful!

#18 ·
Well, yeah, recompounding high dose pills into lower doses makes the drug cheaper. It makes B12 just laughably cheap.
But more than anything I simply prefer taking my nutriment as food and I also see no point in taking the usual megadoses of B12 when I'm not deficient.
Hippocrates said:
Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food
Even when I make drugs for when I'm sick I tend to make them into food, kind of like the chinese do.

I havent found vegan D3 in my area so I just stick with D2. Tho I was impressed that D3 can be extracted from lichens now. I guess thats why some tribes eat reindeer vomit (no joke, rudolf the red nosed vomit). And I just thought they were that hungry :laugh:

As for the D2 versus D3 'debate' I dont worry about it. Some people say D2 is relatively ineffective or is eliminated from the body faster but in the rare instance that they provide a legitimate reference for that, what the full text of that study says is that D2 and D3 are equally well absorbed and have equal persistence in the human body unless both are mixed together and given to people in massive overdose. Then for some reason the body can rid itself of the excess D2.

#21 ·
lol, thanks.
In college I majored in organic chemistry but my grandfather was a pharmacist and I inherited all his books. So most of my practical pharmacy knowledge is 60 years out of date and learned informally, but on the up side 60 years ago herbal medicines were still mainstream medicines rather than strictly alternative, so those old books help me grow and prepare medicines :)

From what I've seen, your right- heliotherapy (sun exposure) is much more than just vitamin D. Studies show sun improving things like cancer, depression, tuberculosis, attention span, all kinds of things and vitamin D supplementation studies just never work quite as well. Its one draw back to western medicine, modern science is so reductionist it takes massive effort, money, and time to solve riddles with multiple variables.

#23 ·
Did anyone else see this article yesterday in the US News & World Report about plant-based, whole foods way of life titled, Plant-Based Diets: a Prescription for Optimal Health. It's very encouraging and worth the read. http://health.usnews.com/health-new...based-diets-a-prescription-for-optimal-health

And former president Bill Clinton was on Rachael Ray this week talking about eating vegan for his health. Progress! :)

#24 ·
I love my whole-foods, they really are good when you get past the initial shock of giving up processed foods; if you were raised that way, as so many of us have been.

Once you become accustomed to them and there's no turning back. It's a bit like taking up a form of exercise or meditation, or indeed cutting out meat and dairy products, you feel so much better that the reward you experience for the positive behaviour is worth more than any indulgence in the negative.

I can eat and enjoy white bread on occasion, especially crusty loaves and rolls, but I start to crave the texture and substance of a good wholemeal loaf before long. Same with white rice, I can enjoy it now and then, but give me nutty short-grain brown rice risotto or brown basmati with veggie curry and I'm much happier.

As for white flour and sugar cakes and so-on, meh; I don't like mooshy sweet things any more. I love dried fruits and nuts though and will happily eat the odd pudding made with whole-food ingredients. My favourites are chilled silken tofu berry pudding and vegan wholegrain cranberry pancakes with maple syrup.

Another aspect of whole-food eating is that a whole new world of ingredients and traditional world foods opens up to you. Dozens and dozens of nuts, seeds, grains, pulses and vegetables that you never explored before suddenly present themselves. It's really quite fun when you start discovering. Especially when you reach out into the likes of Indian, African and Oriental cuisines that are rich in plant-based dishes. Give me those spices!

#25 ·
Spudulika,

That's all so true! I was so set in my ways before changing to this way of life, that I had never eaten Indian or Thai food. I had NO IDEA what I was missing! Thai is my favorite now. :)

Even if I knew my life would not be extended for one day, I would still choose to eat this way, because now I know what truly feeling well at this stage of life feels like. I don't want to just live longer, but better!

#26 ·
I am not vegan but I am vegetarian and eat wholefoods.

However I am curious as to why you/others are cutting out oil? It is certainly good to cut out processed oils, but personally I don't see anything wrong with good quality, uncooked, extra virgin olive oil drizzled on salads, or extra virgin coconut oil/cream with curries etc. Also nuts and many other foods contain natural oils which are beneficial for good health.

In the end I guess what works best for the individual varies.
Just curious.

#30 · (Edited)
Hi good food!

I know what you mean! The 'no oil' has been the most difficult for me. When I first transitioned over to this way of eating, I didn't worry too much about the oil factor. As time has gone on, and I've researched more, I've been able to reduce the oil I use to almost zero.

The biggest issue with oil according to Dr. Caldwell Esseslstyn is, "They injure the endothelium, the innermost lining of the artery, and that injury is the gateway to vascular disease. All oil is also empty calories." This is a short 4 minute video where he explains the science behind this claim. I've read his book, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease and have taken a class where he lectured, and it's all quite compelling. My understanding is that oil, even the 'healthy' oils, interfere with the production of nitric oxide in the cells. Olive, soybean, and palm oils have similar acute detrimental effect on endothelial function, even in young healthy people. BTW, Dr. Esseselstyn in this video is 81 years old!! Hard for me to believe! And he still rides his bike and does rowing. He won a gold medal back in the 60's (I think) in rowing for Harvard. He's pretty amazing :)

Most people are concerned about essential fats like omega 3 and omega 6. Everyone is wanting to increase their intake of omega 3's. However, the real issue is not increasing omega 3's. The real issue is the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6, which should be 1:1. In the standard American diet, most folks are getting more like 1:15 or even 1:50! So they are scrambling around trying to find ways to increase their omega 3's. A whole foods, plant based diet offers a perfect 1:1 ratio, without adding omega 3's. It's not even necessary to try and eat flax or anything. If we eat WFPB, we are automatically getting the 1:1 ratio, and adding other omega 3 rich fats can actually mess up that balance.

While I am concerned about my endothelium cells and want the arteries to my heart clear, I must admit, the added calories are a big deterrent for me too. I'm certainly not perfect with avoiding oil, I'm just trying pretty hard and making progress. :)

#31 · (Edited)
There are equally compelling (some would say more compelling) counter arguments made against Esseselstyn's low/no oil position. Many who are just as deeply committed to holistic whole food supported optimal health based upon rigorous objective studies find Esselstyn's position significantly flawed.

A key factor that is rarely mentioned when people cite Esselstyn's results is that they didn't just come from dietary prescription but also being on cholesterol lowering Statin drugs.

Here's just a tiny example from the Longecity forums for those interested in forming a balanced and informed opinion on the subject:
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topi...-shown-beneficial-in-large-study/#entry617356[/QUOTE]

#32 ·
Hi Terri,
I love your story, and enjoyed your blog. I am a 50-year-old male, who has experienced high cholesterol and high blood pressure, and am still on medication. I too follow the whole-foods plant-based lifestyle, with little or no oil, and I try to avoid refined carbohydrates. I currently follow Dr Furhman's 'nutritarian' (fully-plant-based) regime which focuses on whole foods with the highest nutrient value to calorie ratio, such as dark green leafy vegetables, raw (and cooked) vegetables, fruit, beans, legumes and whole grains. You can read more about me at: http://www.vegnetwork.com.au/ . Wishing you all the best on your journey to better health, Tom Perry

#33 ·
I struggle with the concept of "whole foods" and "real food" and other common terms in health circles nowadays. I typed in "what is the definition of whole foods" on google and got a ton of hits of different groups defining whole foods broadly. Some include grains, some do not. Some include dairy, some do not. I see people talking about eating a whole foods plant based diet but then list that they ate pasta or commercial plant milk or soy yogurt. Is pasta really a whole food? Even oats? They are somewhat processed so that they would not be recognized in nature. Oat groats however are the whole seed, found that way in nature albeit within a plant. I used to consider whatever I could find as is in nature would be a real and whole food. Minimal processing from field to mouth. I used to be really really strict with diet, until I pared down to eating only raw fruits, leafy greens, and some seeds. That didn't last long primarily because I was severely underweight and it required that I eat an enormous amount of food to meet my needs which was very difficult.

I am fully vegan and have been for four years this month. I eat out maybe five or six times max per year and usually do not enjoy restaurant food as it tends to be too heavy, too oily, and tasteless. I am still somewhat strict in that I do not buy a lot of processed foods. I don't ever touch cold commercial cereals, or candy or junk food. Junk food for me is an occasional cliff bar, maybe twice a month when I am on the run or long hikes and just need something quick. More often than not I make homemade bean bars for energy bars. Even commercial vegan yogurts are an occasional treat and usually I buy the plain versions but find them too sweet. I like tofu/banana blended with spices and stevia better. Is tofu a whole food? Hmm... I rarely eat pasta of any kind but maybe two or three times a month I have whole wheat spaghetti or macaroni or penne pasta with loads of beans and veggies. For the most part I keep bread intake very low but on occasion enjoy Ezekiel whole wheat sprouted sesame seed bread or some other commercial whole wheat vegan bread like Rudys with less than four or five ingredients lol. I rarely use flours but on occasion will work with chickpea flour, grind my own buckwheat groats for buckwheat flour, or rice flour (grind my own there sometimes too). I used to make loads of homemade whole wheat bread every week but stopped doing that some time ago and just don't eat much bread. But I love whole grains daily like millet seeds, wild rice, brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat groats, barley. I use bulgur quite often too though it is a slightly more processed whole grain than the others. I avoid oats mostly because they trigger me to eat too many for some reason and I also bloat a lot after eating them, but on occasion I will have crockpot oat groats or steel cut oats. Other commerical foods I eat regularly: tofu, tempeh, plant milks (used to strictly make my own flaxmilk with just flaxseeds, water, and homegrown stevia but got lazy), canned whole tomatoes or tomato paste, cocoa powder, maple syrup. I try to avoid most sugar but do utilize blackstrap molasses for it's high calcium and iron content and I use maple syrup on occasion. If I bake a special treat for work or some event I will buy turbinado sugar but I buy it maybe three or four times per year max. I have also used confectioner sugar (beet sugar derived) for rare treats for some event. Mostly I use fruit itself as a sweetener or home grown herbal stevia. But I don't avoid sugar altogether. My daily diet ALWAYS includes beans, one or two servings of nuts/seeds, lots of fruits and vegetables, and some sort of grain (right now munching on a mango and whole almonds for breakfast lol). I seem to function best with about 70% carbs, 15% fat, 15% protein, or at least that is what my dietary range always seems to fall within when I take the time to calculate macronutrients (I did this for so long and obsessively that the numbers of every imaginable food and it's macronutrients are ingrained in my head lol). I am quite active too. I tried ultra low fat for a while and just didn't feel good, had less stamina and oomph for lifting weights.

I prepare homemade breakfasts, lunches, and dinners every day. I have done this for years. If I travel or visit inlaws out of town for a weekend I bring my own food or plan ahead so I can find a way to make food on the road. I try to stay in hotels/motels or other places with access to a microwave or refrigerator. On canoe camping trips in the wilderness (my husband and I go to the BWCA every year for a week) it is easy to pack in vegan food as it needs less refrigeration than nonvegan, though I have had to resort to dehydrated foods and light weight stuff which sometimes means there is more processing involved. I have to carry that food on my back over rough terrain so I need to pack light and dry.

Even before I was vegan, for several years before I ate very healthy but also included stuff like wild salmon, sardines, eggs, Greek yogurt, etc. I was intolerant to most other dairy but would very occasionally try parmesan cheese or mozerella cheese. Cutting that stuff out improved my sinuses/respiratory tract, stamina, energy, and most of all digestion. I had blood tests done as an omnivore and two years into being vegan for all kinds of stuff and all my scores came out better as a vegan. Cholesterol went down from 155 to 125 from 2010 to 2012. Vitamin D was still good, B12 still good, hemoglobin and iron stores still excellent, glucose and tryglycerides still excellent and even improved. The only thing that got slightly worse was HDL. It was 62 as an omnivore and two years later as a vegan it was 57 (LDL as a vegan was something like 67, not tested as an omnivore). I assume it is because of the DHA/Omega 3 factor? Not sure but I do incorporate as many sources of omega 3s as I can, especially flaxseeds. I used to take a vegan DHA/EPA but have since cut back on that. I incorporate a minimum of two cups a day but usually more of leafy greens, especially low oxalate for calcium and iron and include a source of vitamin C (bell peppers, strawberries, mango, oranges etc). I do incorporate plant milks daily. I used to avoid soy but I have become much more relaxed around food as I had to put on a lot of weight and change my relationship with food and not be so strict because I have health issues from years of hard core restriction, mostly in the form of worsening osteoporosis.

About once or twice a month I have pancakes for dinner such as buckwheat/blueberry or chocolate etc. It is a treat, a challenge for me to have something fun and tasty and outside my comfort zone but not so junkfoodish as to trigger binges. I like to make pancakes using whole grain seeds and grind them into flour with my blendtec. But I do incorporate maple syrup or sometimes a little oil or some other "forbidden" food. I don't use plant butters and usually have a homemade fresh fruit compote to top my pancakes instead.

I used to strictly avoid oil and did for years but over the last year I have relaxed and allow it in my diet from time to time. Not every day, but usually once or twice a week I may use it for something or other. I have a very low blood pressure, low pulse, excellent cholesterol, my triglycerides are something like 27, glucose is in the low 80s. Weight is a low normal for my height. I exercise intensively 1 to 2 hours each day. So I don't think adding a little oil here and there is going to be too high of a risk for me and my arteries. Having an occasional glob of maple syrup or molasses wont send my glucose through the roof lol. When I started eating more and incorporating more nuts/seeds and occasional oil into my diet, as well as occasional tempeh, tofu etc, my hair and nails and skin tone improved dramatically. I have very healthy skin, hair, nails. I never use commercial shampoo either. Don't and never have worn makeup.

I love my current style of eating and I find that it is not so restrictive as to cause me to have a black and white attitude about food (though I still have some "fear" foods I am working on incorporating such as tahini, almond butter etc on occasion). It is not so extreme that i have to constantly plan and prepare and think about food every minute. I have spent many a year obsessively planning every detail and cutting out this and that and it does get old. I'm not anti grain and anti soy and anti oil and anti carbs or anti protein etc. I try to find balance and occasionally enjoy treats and so on. Sometimes I over or under do it. Not perfect. For the most part eat a healthy whole foods plant based diet but also incorporate an occasional processed food that might not be approved by Essylstein lol. I don't follow any particular diet plan set forth by any vegan expert. Just try to get in the basic nutritional needs of a vegan and eat foods that I feel good about eating and that my body functions best on. Not going to feel bad if on occasion I feel like devouring homemade chocolate pancakes. Today I am making a treat for a potluck at work....my own recipe...tropical sweet potato balls that includes cornflour, coconut oil (gasp), maple syrup, ground almonds, sweet potato, spices, fresh blended pineapple mixed together and baked in oven. I did this one before grinding unsweetened dried coconut into a flour instead of almonds and it was delicious, but a lot of people don't seem to like coconut so I am trying almonds this time.

#34 ·
Naturebound you sound awesome in so many ways! I think we'd get along great as friends! ;)

I completely agree that it's about balance eating this way. I'm not 100% no oil, but have really worked the last year getting most of it out of my meals. Even some of the doctors that advocate 'no oil' have a tiny splash here and there in their recipes (but not often)--Dr. McDougall is one of them. Awhile back, I posted an Asian recipe on my blog and linked it to a forum I'm on. The recipe called for a slash of sesame oil, and one of the long time members there firmly told me 'NO OIL'. But the doctor this forum is based on had other recipes in his books where his wife (the cook) listed a splash of sesame oil, lol! Another member stepped up and linked the doctor's recipes that were similar to mine.

I went to a plant-based disease prevention conference last year where there were a number of very well known doctors. Three of them happen to sit down at the table I was at for lunch, and I saw what they were eating. Everything they had was plant-based (that's all that was served at the conference) but they also ate a couple of dishes I was sure had a tiny bit of oil and desserts that were a bit rich. They were the speakers at this conference, and they allowed themselves some foods any others I know of wouldn't touch because they are so strict. I believe those doctors, with all their knowledge, have found balance. Watching them eat made me smile with confidence.

My goal each day is very much like yours--75% complex carbs, with the rest being veggies, legumes, fruits, and sometimes a few nuts and seeds. It's the mix that works best for me too. I do eat some processed foods--tofu, some whole grain flours and pastas, Ezekiel bread, etc. I think the key is aiming high, and even when I miss the bulls eye, I'm still hit the overall target and am doing pretty dang good for my health. ;)

One thing you mentioned about your HDL (good cholesterol) going down. Mine did too, and that's actually to be expected. The way I understand it, HDLs are the 'police' and if our LDL is under control and behaving as it should, not as much HDL is needed to patrol our bodies. So, its a good thing. Here's a link that compares HDL to garbage trucks, http://engine2diet.com/the-daily-beet/spotlight-on-cholesterol/ and makes a lot of sense to me.

From reading everything you wrote, you sound like a person that's got a very good grip on their health! And you're still flexible enough to enjoy food and living. Love that you're so outdoorsy because I am too. That's terrific and inspiring to me! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.