• 1 Post By Capstan
  • 3 Post By River
  • 3 Post By Effy
  • 1 Post By vegansprig

#1 Old 11-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Study: Milk may not be very good for bones or the body

Quote:
Milk is often touted as one of nature's most perfect foods -- and for good reason. It contains many essential nutrients and in particular, the high calcium content has been touted as crucial for good bone health when fortified with vitamin D, as it is in the United States.

But a new study from researchers in Uppsala University in Sweden suggests that consuming more milk could actually be associated with higher mortality and bone fractures in women and higher mortality in men.

“I've looked at fractures during the last 25 years. I've been puzzled by the question because there has again and again been a tendency of a higher risk of fracture with a higher intake of milk,” said the study's lead author Karl Michaelsson, a professor at Uppsala University.
Read the rest here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...ody/?tid=sm_fb

It's crazy that we've been encouraged to drink milk for years when it isn't even good for us!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2014, 02:53 PM
V for Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
It's crazy that we've been encouraged to drink milk for years when it isn't even good for us!
Got Milk?

I need to find one of those "Got Kale?" t-shirts.

--
#3 Old 11-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

We are encouraged to drink it by people who stand to make money from dairy sales. But it's been known for a long time, at least 20 years and probably longer, that milk is bad for humans. This is really not news.

#4 Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 PM
V for Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
We are encouraged to drink it by people who stand to make money from dairy sales. But it's been known for a long time, at least 20 years and probably longer, that milk is bad for humans. This is really not news.
I think it's news to the general public. Most people really have no idea how bad animal products are for their health. We've (at least in the US) been indoctrinated since childhood to believe that milk is good for us.

--
#5 Old 11-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Impeach the psychopath

It is really sinister, the extent to which we've been duped. Education is so important.
LedBoots likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#6 Old 11-16-2014, 11:15 PM

Thumbs down Confused about taking milk.

I'm also confused about that... they keep on telling us all the benefits of what we can get from drinking milk but why is it there are studies coming out and saying milk is not good at all...
#7 Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I am finding it hard to imagine an adult drinking 3 eight oz glasses of milk per day. My kids dont even drink that much milk, and they are children!
#8 Old 11-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DTASFAB
#9 Old 11-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyme View Post
I'm also confused about that... they keep on telling us all the benefits of what we can get from drinking milk but why is it there are studies coming out and saying milk is not good at all...
The people who tell you milk is good for you are either a) making money off milk, or b) brainwashed by people making money off of milk.
angelluzita, DTASFAB and Bruce V like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Last edited by River; 11-18-2014 at 11:03 AM.
#10 Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 AM

My grandmother has been drinking cow milk everyday since she was a kid, she lives in a farm. She also eats cake and a local cheese-based food every single day.

She felt last year and broke three bones. She's only 65 years old.

I always thought that all that milk would be actually helping her, but her doctor said that her bones are extremelly fragile at this point.

There is a reason why other animals milk is produced on them. It is not meant to be consumed by humans
River, angelluzita and DTASFAB like this.
#11 Old 12-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Eat your flowers

I found this information about cow's milk!

Cow’s milk may contain: "PCBs and other industrial pollutants, steroid hormones (more in skim milk), banned pesticides, saturated fat, and is on par with Coca Cola for antioxidant content. Milk may also block nutrients and does not appear to improve bone density."

Calcium from many dark green leaf vegetables is better absorbed than the calcium in milk AND also contains fiber, folate, phytonutrients and other nutrients lacking in calves’ milk.

This video talks about studies that link milk to prostate cancer.

GO VEGANISM!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#12 Old 12-08-2014, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effy View Post
My grandmother has been drinking cow milk everyday since she was a kid, she lives in a farm. She also eats cake and a local cheese-based food every single day.

She felt last year and broke three bones. She's only 65 years old.

I always thought that all that milk would be actually helping her, but her doctor said that her bones are extremelly fragile at this point.

There is a reason why other animals milk is produced on them. It is not meant to be consumed by humans
I'm so sorry about your grandmother! How horrible! I have severe osteoporosis myself (DEXA scan T score -3.6 and Z score -3.4 spine) and was diagnosed with it at the age of 34 in 2006. There are so many reasons for fragile bones beyond diet. I lost my ovaries at a young age. I have been a low normal or underweight most of my life. I have been on thyroid meds for 26 years. I was treated with Lupron for endometriosis some time ago. There are many different medications that can have a negative impact on bones, including acid inhibitors (ie zantac, prolesac etc), SSRI antidepressants, some forms of birth control pills and shots, asthma meds, steroids (prednisone etc), thyroid meds, and the list goes on. Sedantary lifestyle or a lifestyle focused predominantly on forms of cardio with little impact on bones can hurt too. As can being a low weight and lack of body fat needed to absorb vitamin D. Vitamin D is crucial for getting calcium and other minerals into the bones. Vitamin K, magnesium, vitamin C, phosphorus and other micronutrients are also important for bone health and it is hard to find most of those in dairy products in any capacity. Fruits and vegetables are full of them.

My rheumatologist who treats my osteoporosis actually has encouraged my vegan diet as long as I eat enough and stay a normal weight. I have an uphill battle in every regard and have already had some small stress fractures which were painful enough. I try to do the best I can and not look too far into the future as it really scares me. I do supplement with calcium/D to be on the safe side and because the shot I am given for my osteoporosis requires that I have enough calcium/d in my blood because the shot pulls it from the blood and puts it in the bones so if I am short on these minerals I can end up with hypocalcemia. I try to also get in several cups a day of low oxylate leafy greens, plant milks, a serving or so of nuts etc. Sometimes I go on blackstrap molasses kicks where I add it to hot cereal in the morning or in sauces since it too is very high in calcium and iron. I used to eat Greek yogurt a minimum of three times a week for breakfast back in my omnivore days, though I could not tolerate most other forms of dairy. It didn't help me at all and my bone density has continued to decline. I'm pretty sure it's because I was a very low weight for a while. This year I pushed myself and gained a lot of weight to get to a low normal weight range. I'm still terrified of letting myself get past that but I read posts like yours and remember why I am fighting to get healthy. The daily pain I have in my hips and lower spine should be reminder enough but I am so used to it I don't even think about it.

forgot to mention, for bone health, try to decrease acidic foods/drinks like coffee, chocolate etc as these can work against your bones too.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Naturebound; 12-08-2014 at 02:45 AM.
#13 Old 12-08-2014, 07:51 AM

I remember that in the book "China Study" emerges that the milk and the other animal protein are dannose for our body because they provoke a lot of type of diseases like cancer, diabetes and more...
If you haven't read the book, this is an extract of wikipedia page about China Study that talks about the cancer:
Quote:
Cancer
The authors link breast cancer to the long-term exposure to higher concentrations of female hormones, which in turn is associated with early menarche (age at first menstruation), late menopause, and a high concentration of blood cholesterol. They argue that all these risk factors are linked to a diet high in animal protein, particularly casein from cow milk. The average Chinese woman is exposed to 35–40 percent of the lifetime estrogen exposure of the average British or American woman, and the rate of breast cancer among Chinese women is about one-fifth of the rate among Western women.[23] They also argue that lower rates of colorectal cancer are associated with the consumption of plants high in fiber, such as beans, leafy vegetables and whole grains.[19]
#14 Old 01-30-2015, 12:14 AM

Why do humans still drink milk? Because they think it’s safe due to pasteurization. However, heat destroys a great number of bacteria in milk and thus conceals the evidence of dirt, pus and dirty dairy practices. It’s cheaper to produce dirty milk and kill the bacteria by heat, that to maintain a clean dairy and keep cows healthy. To combat the increase in pathogens milk goes through ‘clarification’, ‘filtering’, ‘bactofugation’ and two ‘deariation’ treatments. Each of these treatments uses heat ranging from 100-175 degrees Fahrenheit. Dairies count on many heat treatments to mask their inferior sanitary conditions: milk filled with pus, manure and debris. Consumer Reports found 44% of 125 pasteurized milk samples contained as many as 2200 organisms per cubic centimeter (fecal bacteria, coliforms)
#15 Old 01-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Vegan as f**k

I think that fortified plant-based milks are superior in every way - ethically, health-wise and taste-wise

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.

Tags
health , milk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page