Best vitamin, and/or supplements? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By Capstan
  • 5 Post By Diesel
  • 2 Post By Aria Beth
  • 1 Post By beegan
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Tom
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 37
Question Best vitamin, and/or supplements?

I've been taking those fancy, expensive vegan (brand name: Rainbow?) vitamins, and they're making me feel nauseated, even when I take them with food, or just after eating.

This happens in the morning, and I don't think I have had problems at night, taking them before or during dinner.

BUT, I read somewhere that taking vitamins in the morning means your body will absorb them the most.

What specific supplements (esp for B12) have people taken?

(I mention that the vitamins are expensive, because ones I got at Trader Joe's caused a constipation situation that sent me to the ER.)
LOL@USDA! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-02-2014, 01:07 AM
Impeach the psychopath
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,963
For B-12, I've been using B-Fresh breath mints. Each mint contains 500% of the RDA of vitamin B-12. They're sweetened with Xylitol, which helps prevent ear- and throat-infections. I pay $2.69 for a tin of 25 mints. They taste good too. Choice of 5 flavors.

For a multi-vitamin, I keep some VegLife Vegan One Multiples around, in case I feel I need one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VegLife-Vegan-One-Multiple-with-Iron-076280339420.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	4362  
Attached Images
 

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
Capstan is online now  
#3 Old 09-02-2014, 01:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 208
The best nutritional supplements are fruits and vegetables!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diesel is offline  
 
#4 Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
For B-12, I've been using B-Fresh breath mints. Each mint contains 500% of the RDA of vitamin B-12. They're sweetened with Xylitol, which helps prevent ear- and throat-infections. I pay $2.69 for a tin of 25 mints. They taste good too. Choice of 5 flavors.

For a multi-vitamin, I keep some VegLife Vegan One Multiples around, in case I feel I need one.
Wow! Very cool. I'll look into it.
LOL@USDA! is offline  
#5 Old 10-01-2014, 11:38 PM
 
Aria Beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 25
True !! Best nutritional supplements are fruits and vegetables.
truckingvegan and AdamC like this.
Aria Beth is offline  
#6 Old 10-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 54
Yea, but there is not b12 in fruits and vegetables.
Tom likes this.
beegan is offline  
#7 Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegan View Post
Yea, but there is not b12 in fruits and vegetables.

Kinda True. There is B12 in Aloe plant which you can eat. Also many products are fortified with B12 like Tofu.

Lets Connect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
truckingvegan is offline  
#8 Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 26
I find a new information in your thread that taking vitamins in the morning will adsorb more nutrients. I did not know this before reading this thread.
mark lori is offline  
#9 Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 PM
 
Raederle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 43
Lightbulb Supplements

For a long time I was an avid supporter of being a NO SUPPLEMENTS person. I was even proud of it, but as they say, "I was young and stupid."

I had great logic: Wild animals don't take supplements and they're healthier than we are.

Except wild animals have a very different lifestyle and diet than we do. I outline that in detail here: http://www.raederle.com/2012/08/arti...l#.VDhJNPldWPR

At this time I'm taking vitamin D2 twice a week, vitamin B12 sublingual weekly, vitamin K2 every other day, magnesium and calcium daily, probiotics daily and Inner Eco daily. That is in addition to one pound of leafy greens daily as well as 4-8 servings of fruit daily. I've never felt or looked better in my life.

~ Raederle Phoenix
(Feel free to look me up on facebook and friend me there!)
Raederle is offline  
#10 Old 10-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingvegan View Post
Kinda True. There is B12 in Aloe plant which you can eat. Also many products are fortified with B12 like Tofu.
Well aloe is a new one for me! I searched it and found this--along with many refuting it, including many reputable vegan sites:
http://www.aloecorp.com/news-release...mins-b12-and-c

I did find this interesting, taken from above site:
"Irving, TX – Aloe vera is a powerful complement to other supplements, enhancing their absorbance and effects, according to a recent bioavailability study1. Both Aloe vera gel and whole leaf Aloe were tested in the randomized cross-over trial, with the gel demonstrating the strongest results in promoting the absorbance of vitamins C and B12. It only took one ounce of Aloe to have substantial effects in enhancing the absorption of a 500mg dose of vitamin C and 1mg dose of B12. "

While there are many foods fortified, I don't rely on that simply because B12 needs to taken regularly. While you only need very small amounts daily, you need far higher doses when taken further apart. Since I don't eat the same fortified foods on a daily basis I don't mess around- I take a supplement. They're the same thing anyway, I find mine more reliable
Tom likes this.
silva is online now  
#11 Old 10-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raederle View Post
For a long time I was an avid supporter of being a NO SUPPLEMENTS person. I was even proud of it, but as they say, "I was young and stupid."

I had great logic: Wild animals don't take supplements and they're healthier than we are.

Except wild animals have a very different lifestyle and diet than we do. I outline that in detail here: http://www.raederle.com/2012/08/arti...l#.VDhJNPldWPR

At this time I'm taking vitamin D2 twice a week, vitamin B12 sublingual weekly, vitamin K2 every other day, magnesium and calcium daily, probiotics daily and Inner Eco daily. That is in addition to one pound of leafy greens daily as well as 4-8 servings of fruit daily. I've never felt or looked better in my life.
That's a lot of vitamin K, with the greens and a supplement! Were you diagnosed with low K? It can mess with your blood clotting if you have too much.
Tom likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
#12 Old 10-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,044
^^^ I was wondering about that, too. I thought vitamin K would be easy to get from plant foods (but didn't know an excess could be harmful).

Anyway, I currently take a B-12 supplement. It's not expensive at all, but since each tablet provides MUCH more than the daily RDA of B-12 (I forget how much exactly), I eat a fragment of a tablet once or twice each day- I think it's absorbed more efficiently that way, but since B-12 appears not to be toxic, I'd rather err on the side of too much. I'm currently also taking a prescription-strength vitamin D supplement on doctor's orders; my level was very low at my last checkup (not surprising, because I had it in the spring, and had undoubtedly used up whatever I had made from sunlight the previous summer).
LedBoots likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Tom is offline  
#13 Old 10-17-2014, 01:34 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 25
like many have said in this thread, it is quite easy to get your nutrients from food, given that so many foods today are vitamin fortified for special diets (vegans included). i have no idea if expensive fancy vitamins are better than cheap humble vitamins... i wonder. vegan supplements are useful to fill holes in your diet but I personally think you should aim to get most from your food
Jordan Severns is offline  
#14 Old 10-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Beginner
 
LeThieu92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 110
So with all this being said, what brand of vitamins are 100% vegan? I know Jameson is not tested on animals, but that doesn't mean it's vegan. Or is it impossible to find a whole brand being vegan? What is your fav vegan multivitamin.

As for me I've been trying various multivitamins. I don't like taking individual supplements. I like the ease and convenience of a multivitamin. Also chances are I'm missing some nutrients so the multivitamin just covers my .... Ummm.... Sometimes "incomplete" diet lol

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur
...

LeThieu92 is offline  
#15 Old 10-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeThieu92 View Post
So with all this being said, what brand of vitamins are 100% vegan? I know Jameson is not tested on animals, but that doesn't mean it's vegan. Or is it impossible to find a whole brand being vegan? What is your fav vegan multivitamin.

As for me I've been trying various multivitamins. I don't like taking individual supplements. I like the ease and convenience of a multivitamin. Also chances are I'm missing some nutrients so the multivitamin just covers my .... Ummm.... Sometimes "incomplete" diet lol
I'm not sure where you are from, but in the U.S. there is DEVA brand which has a variety of vitamins and supplements, including D2 and a multivitamin. They are completely vegan. I have used their DHA which I ordered online through the Vegan Store. NOW also makes a few vegan versions of various supplements. I have used pure calcium citrate powder from them which I would add to smoothies and other food for a boost of calcium. I also have a brand called "Pure Vegan" B-12 which has methylcobolamin instead of synthetic cyanocobolamin. It is a spray and is certified vegan.

I personally can't tolerate any multivitamin. I have never been able to figure out what it is about them I can't tolerate but they make me quite ill. I take calcium and D due to severe osteoporosis (along with prescription med for it), and I take B12. On occasion I take DHA but not regularly. I am very very sensitive to supplements and drugs in general. Most of what I take is not in pill form except the DHA.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#16 Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Beginner
 
LeThieu92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I'm not sure where you are from, but in the U.S. there is DEVA brand which has a variety of vitamins and supplements, including D2 and a multivitamin. They are completely vegan. I have used their DHA which I ordered online through the Vegan Store. NOW also makes a few vegan versions of various supplements. I have used pure calcium citrate powder from them which I would add to smoothies and other food for a boost of calcium. I also have a brand called "Pure Vegan" B-12 which has methylcobolamin instead of synthetic cyanocobolamin. It is a spray and is certified vegan.

I personally can't tolerate any multivitamin. I have never been able to figure out what it is about them I can't tolerate but they make me quite ill. I take calcium and D due to severe osteoporosis (along with prescription med for it), and I take B12. On occasion I take DHA but not regularly. I am very very sensitive to supplements and drugs in general. Most of what I take is not in pill form except the DHA.
Hmmm very interesting, thanks! I'm in Ontario, Canada. I've written those brands down so that I can look for them when my current vitamins are done. I've had some problems with some multivitamins to. I found that sometimes I get sick depending on what I eat with them.

I think its best to just stay away from all pills but I generally feel much healthier with a multi!

If you don't mind my asking, how strong are your osteoporosis pills? My mother has a prescription.... Her pills seems so dangerously strong :\

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur
...

LeThieu92 is offline  
#17 Old 10-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeThieu92 View Post
Hmmm very interesting, thanks! I'm in Ontario, Canada. I've written those brands down so that I can look for them when my current vitamins are done. I've had some problems with some multivitamins to. I found that sometimes I get sick depending on what I eat with them.

I think its best to just stay away from all pills but I generally feel much healthier with a multi!

If you don't mind my asking, how strong are your osteoporosis pills? My mother has a prescription.... Her pills seems so dangerously strong :\
I actually get an injection twice a year at the doctor's office for my osteoporosis med. It is called Prolia. Not something I took lightly. I did a LOT of thinking about it before I tried it. But my latest DEXA score was far worse than my already severe one four years ago and I am only 42 years old. I went through a long period of anorexia which made my bone density much worse over the last four years. I was scared to death of all the side effects I read about with prolia but I have been on it five months now and have not had a single side effect. In fact it has helped eliminate the chronic spine and hip pain I had all the time before. I had just chalked up that pain to constant overexercising but I really think my bones were that bad and the prolia has given me a fighting chance. I have had several stress fractures over the years already. I did not want to take any oral osteoporosis med due to GI side effect potential and I was trying to put on weight at the time to improve my situation. I was already on hormone replacement (a patch) due to losing my uterus and ovaries years ago but it didn't stop the bone loss. Prolia is a second line drug only used when first line bisphosphonates fail or a person can't take them for whatever reason. I was lucky to get the Prolia. However, I really don't like the long term effects of it. I don't want to be on it more than a few years. It's really a horrible thing to lose so much bone density so young. I am a medical coder and code chemo infusions/injections, and Prolia is also used as a cancer drug. That is how potent it is, though it is used in much higher doses for cancer patients.

I am one who used to avoid supplements and aspirin and all that like the plague. But sometimes things in life happen and you have to do what you have to do. Diet alone is not going to help my bones fast enough at this point. I am a normal weight now but still dealing with thyroid issues, surgical menopause, and the aftermath of years of self deprivation. And I still waver in my disorder, especially during periods of stress. I absolutely have to have decent levels of calcium and D in my blood and bones for the Prolia to work and to decrease the risk of calcium imbalance in the blood that can happen with the prolia shot. I am tested periodically to make sure my levels are good. Supplementing along with a healthy diet is a must for me.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#18 Old 10-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeThieu92 View Post
So with all this being said, what brand of vitamins are 100% vegan? I know Jameson is not tested on animals, but that doesn't mean it's vegan. Or is it impossible to find a whole brand being vegan? What is your fav vegan multivitamin.

As for me I've been trying various multivitamins. I don't like taking individual supplements. I like the ease and convenience of a multivitamin. Also chances are I'm missing some nutrients so the multivitamin just covers my .... Ummm.... Sometimes "incomplete" diet lol
I used to take Devas' Tiny Tablets. I liked them because they're so small- about 5mm. They also only don't overload the vitamins like so many.
They do contain 10% iron which is why I didn't get more. After going without for a couple months my iron came back at 14- right in the normal range. I do know you shouldn't get too much iron. Mine has been consistently at 14

I will admit here that I've been taking regular D3. I had been taking Deva cal mag and D2, getting D2 from other supplements, as well as many portabellos, yet when my bloodwork came back with a level of 14--which is very low, I kind of panicked and got 5000 D3. I do feel incredibly better
You can get vegan D3 which I will get next. I have to admit I'm so glad to know that's whats been causing the horrible foot pains, as well as brain fog. Now that I know D3 helps I'll be able to compare.
silva is online now  
#19 Old 10-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Beginner
 
LeThieu92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I actually get an injection twice a year at the doctor's office for my osteoporosis med. It is called Prolia. Not something I took lightly. I did a LOT of thinking about it before I tried it. But my latest DEXA score was far worse than my already severe one four years ago and I am only 42 years old. I went through a long period of anorexia which made my bone density much worse over the last four years. I was scared to death of all the side effects I read about with prolia but I have been on it five months now and have not had a single side effect. In fact it has helped eliminate the chronic spine and hip pain I had all the time before. I had just chalked up that pain to constant overexercising but I really think my bones were that bad and the prolia has given me a fighting chance. I have had several stress fractures over the years already. I did not want to take any oral osteoporosis med due to GI side effect potential and I was trying to put on weight at the time to improve my situation. I was already on hormone replacement (a patch) due to losing my uterus and ovaries years ago but it didn't stop the bone loss. Prolia is a second line drug only used when first line bisphosphonates fail or a person can't take them for whatever reason. I was lucky to get the Prolia. However, I really don't like the long term effects of it. I don't want to be on it more than a few years. It's really a horrible thing to lose so much bone density so young. I am a medical coder and code chemo infusions/injections, and Prolia is also used as a cancer drug. That is how potent it is, though it is used in much higher doses for cancer patients.

I am one who used to avoid supplements and aspirin and all that like the plague. But sometimes things in life happen and you have to do what you have to do. Diet alone is not going to help my bones fast enough at this point. I am a normal weight now but still dealing with thyroid issues, surgical menopause, and the aftermath of years of self deprivation. And I still waver in my disorder, especially during periods of stress. I absolutely have to have decent levels of calcium and D in my blood and bones for the Prolia to work and to decrease the risk of calcium imbalance in the blood that can happen with the prolia shot. I am tested periodically to make sure my levels are good. Supplementing along with a healthy diet is a must for me.
You've certainly have had been through a lot concerning osteoporosis. Those injections have to have been extremely potent if you only required to get two shots a year.

My mother found out her bones were fragile in her mid to late 30s. Since then she has been on a number of medication s, avoiding injections. Most of the pills she has taken have proven insufficient to help her and have had a lot of side effects. I've spoken to her recently and told me she hasn't taken her prescription for months. Ironically she has other conditions that force her to take supplements and eat fairly healthy ( however she does eat meat... ). So that seems to be helping her more then the prescription pills.

I'm always interested in hearing people's stories when it comes to osteoporosis. My doctor has warned me that it is a possibility for me be diagnosed with in the future. So it hits close to home on many levels. Thanks for sharing your story and I truly hope nothing but a positive outcome for you.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur
...

LeThieu92 is offline  
#20 Old 10-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Beginner
 
LeThieu92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I used to take Devas' Tiny Tablets. I liked them because they're so small- about 5mm. They also only don't overload the vitamins like so many.
They do contain 10% iron which is why I didn't get more. After going without for a couple months my iron came back at 14- right in the normal range. I do know you shouldn't get too much iron. Mine has been consistently at 14

I will admit here that I've been taking regular D3. I had been taking Deva cal mag and D2, getting D2 from other supplements, as well as many portabellos, yet when my bloodwork came back with a level of 14--which is very low, I kind of panicked and got 5000 D3. I do feel incredibly better
You can get vegan D3 which I will get next. I have to admit I'm so glad to know that's whats been causing the horrible foot pains, as well as brain fog. Now that I know D3 helps I'll be able to compare.
Thanks for sharing. I'll have to also keep an eye out for them. Surprisingly some brands seem to include some vitamins just to say they included it and then jam pack with other ones that are so easily obtainable in nearly any diet...

Today I bought juices (100% juice not from concentrate) loaded with vitamins. I have 5 bottles hahaha. I was going to try and see if I can use them to get all my recommended daily values and just get a few supplements to "fill in the gaps". I despise the idea of more then one pill a day, but it might be the best solution!

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur
...

LeThieu92 is offline  
#21 Old 10-19-2014, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeThieu92 View Post
You've certainly have had been through a lot concerning osteoporosis. Those injections have to have been extremely potent if you only required to get two shots a year.

My mother found out her bones were fragile in her mid to late 30s. Since then she has been on a number of medication s, avoiding injections. Most of the pills she has taken have proven insufficient to help her and have had a lot of side effects. I've spoken to her recently and told me she hasn't taken her prescription for months. Ironically she has other conditions that force her to take supplements and eat fairly healthy ( however she does eat meat... ). So that seems to be helping her more then the prescription pills.

I'm always interested in hearing people's stories when it comes to osteoporosis. My doctor has warned me that it is a possibility for me be diagnosed with in the future. So it hits close to home on many levels. Thanks for sharing your story and I truly hope nothing but a positive outcome for you.
Thanks for sharing about your mother! Wow, so she has been dealing with this for years too. It gives me hope that she is still going even now and not too debilitated. I'm sorry for all she has been through and having been on so many meds to combat her disease. I do think improving my diet in terms of increased calcium, protein, minerals, and calories in general has and will help me in the long run more than anything (and with the least horrid side effects). I am struggling terribly with body image right now even though I am still a low normal weight. I have body dysmorphia something fierce. some days the ONLY thing that keeps me eating enough is remembering my bone situation. I also do a good bit of weight bearing/resistance exercise to help my bones (which only works if I fuel myself enough). When I say weight bearing I mean lifting barbells/dumbbells. I can only lift and squat up to fifty lbs overhead which is only a little less than half my body weight so though it might seem like not much to others it is a big deal to me. I have to be so careful though as my spine is so bad. I do have a strong core from years of dance training so that helps. Miraculously I have not had much back pain other than this left hip/sciatica thing I have had for years, but every once in a while if I push my body too hard with the weights I get a low back soreness, and lately my tailbone has been very sore and tender which is worrying me. I started a new full time job that calls for sitting for long periods and I think that might be part of it. I have to make myself get up and walk a few laps around the building every two hours. I also workout before work five days a week. Still, I wasn't expecting that sitting for so long would have such a hard impact on my body, but man am I stiff in the buttocks and low back at the end of the day. I may have to invest in a donut pillow.

You are smart for considering what potential problems might lie ahead for you in terms of health and doing something now to combat that possibility. I wish you the best in your health!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#22 Old 10-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
I take Alive! Gummies, the ones I have are gelatin free. They don't hurt my stomach either.
danakscully64 is offline  
#23 Old 10-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Beginner
 
LeThieu92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Thanks for sharing about your mother! Wow, so she has been dealing with this for years too. It gives me hope that she is still going even now and not too debilitated. I'm sorry for all she has been through and having been on so many meds to combat her disease. I do think improving my diet in terms of increased calcium, protein, minerals, and calories in general has and will help me in the long run more than anything (and with the least horrid side effects). I am struggling terribly with body image right now even though I am still a low normal weight. I have body dysmorphia something fierce. some days the ONLY thing that keeps me eating enough is remembering my bone situation. I also do a good bit of weight bearing/resistance exercise to help my bones (which only works if I fuel myself enough). When I say weight bearing I mean lifting barbells/dumbbells. I can only lift and squat up to fifty lbs overhead which is only a little less than half my body weight so though it might seem like not much to others it is a big deal to me. I have to be so careful though as my spine is so bad. I do have a strong core from years of dance training so that helps. Miraculously I have not had much back pain other than this left hip/sciatica thing I have had for years, but every once in a while if I push my body too hard with the weights I get a low back soreness, and lately my tailbone has been very sore and tender which is worrying me. I started a new full time job that calls for sitting for long periods and I think that might be part of it. I have to make myself get up and walk a few laps around the building every two hours. I also workout before work five days a week. Still, I wasn't expecting that sitting for so long would have such a hard impact on my body, but man am I stiff in the buttocks and low back at the end of the day. I may have to invest in a donut pillow.

You are smart for considering what potential problems might lie ahead for you in terms of health and doing something now to combat that possibility. I wish you the best in your health!
Yes she has been dealing with this disease for a long time. Fortunately (is it possible that this is a positive?) She has a handful of other diseases that require her attention which results in her taking care of her body. However I think she has found a decent balance and how to take care of it all. She's a strong woman !!!

As for what you're doing, I'm impressed. You seem to be really trying to stay healthy and in shape. It is certainly more difficult when you have to try and deal with body image issues. However I believe in positive thinking. Staying as positive as possible can make a big difference. As for your workouts i think the amount of weight you're lifting is wonderful. Considering what you mentioned your body weight is near and having frail bones? Obsoletely amazing that your lifting that much. And as for your job, I would really look into getting a good bum cushion! Maybe even use it when you are working out, if you're sitting that is. No reason you have to put up with tailbone pain.

Again thanks so much for sharing.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur
...

LeThieu92 is offline  
#24 Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM
 
runyoucleverboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
I recommend sprouts - they're rich in vitamins and minerals, cheap, and yummy.

I don't think using a multivitamins is a good idea. Typical multivitamins preparations contain ingredients that are mixed and do not occur together in nature. And here we are: Zn competes with Fe, Fe with Ca, some mineral impair the absorption of other. Furthermore, storage of vitamins and minerals leads to weakening of their properties - so the closer the expiration date of the preparation (which should always be checked, by the way), the less vitamins it contains.

They usually are synthetic vitamins, which means they've lower bioavailability than a natural. When bioavailability of the natural vitamins is 80-90%, the synthetic is just 3-10%. Overall, 90% money you spent...was thrown.

Besides, who saw a normal man to delivery to his organism 6kg of carrots, or 30 cups of green tea a day? One pill of beta-Carotene (vit. A) is a equivalent mentioned amount of carrot. One capsule of camellia siness extract is a equivalent approx. 30 cups of green tea. Products from the pharmacy are easy to overdose, and contract hypervitaminosis. Let us not forget, that foods for vegetarians are already fortified.

In vegetarian diet particular attention should be paid to iron, calcium, zinc, vitamin D, Omega-3 fatty acid, vitamin B12 - which intake should be higher than recommended daily intake, due to the difficult absorption of nutrients from synthetic products. There is no need to use supplements. Apart from a vegan diet, where vitamin D and B12 should be absolutely supplementation.

Last edited by runyoucleverboy; 10-20-2014 at 10:42 AM.
runyoucleverboy is offline  
Reply

Tags
b12 , nausea , supplements , vitamins

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off