VeggieBoards banner

Legumes cause muscle loss?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Shallot 
#1 ·
I haven't consumed legumes in a long while because every time I do; I loose considerable amounts of muscle.

Anyone have a similar experience?

#3 ·
If you have a muscle loss tge best thing would be to get some protein. Im not siggesting you to eat meat but you should at least try protein shakes or gainers.
LOL. Protein doesn't build muscle.

It seems like you're trolling.

I meant to say that legumes cause muscle wasting in me.
No, in fact the opposite, the only way I maintain muscle mass while eating a plant-based diet is by consuming 3+ servings of legumes a day along with grains.
Do you consume legumes from the can?

#4 ·
Well you certainly need sufficient protein and I'd be at a loss if not for beans.
I eat some type of legume every day with things like tofu and tempeh on occasion. Rarely canned, but what are you implying about canned?
I have never heard muscle loss being equated with legumes of any kind before now.

#6 ·
I consume shelled hemp seeds, avocados, leafy greens, etc.. for protein and calories. Fruit for carbs. Steamed veggies for vitamins.

My hair isn't falling out and I get morning wood; therefore I am not protein and fat deficient.

I don't consume grains of any kind, no white/yellow potatoes because solanine makes me go crazy, no seed oils, and as of lately no more legumes. I love the taste of legumes and they seem to be addicting but they hurt me. My muscles hurt in the morning if I consume them the day before. So, no more.

Maybe there is something in the cans or maybe it's the Lectins causing rapid muscle wasting. I've read a study that indicates that beans absorb bile. Bile contains hormones, vitamins, etc.. and if the body can't reabsorb the bile, It would be safe to say that the body needs to reproduce the hormones from scratch?

I am just curious if anyone else experienced the same thing. Don't take this post like I am going to go eat animal product's.

#5 ·
Haven't heard of this. Are you consuming legumes along with grains? Protein contains the essential amino acids that our body needs to survive but cannot produce. Some foods are low in one or a few of these amino acids. The link below lists some foods by type and whether they are low in an amino acid at the bottom of the page. The rest of the page has some good info as well. Legumes and beans are generally low in methionine while grains are generally low in lysine. Combining the two ensures that you are getting all the necessary amino acids. You should aim to get a good amount of the 'problem' amino acids throughout the day. You could be low on methionine. Apologies if this wasn't helpful.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/

#11 ·
Yup. I've consumed the same amount of calories in avocados and just added a different type of legume and every time I loose muscle and feel major pain in my muscles like they are wasting away. I know what muscle growth feels like and what I feel is the complete opposite.

Must be just me.

#15 ·
I believe what you are saying. I do think it's something so unique finding people that eat beans that have these symptoms is going to be difficult.

First of all "muscle wasting" is usually caused by a couple of things...you quit exercising. This happens to those football players you knew in high school and they go to pot. Muscle is lost. Second is calories in equals less than calories out.

Either way this really doesn't "feel like" like anything...other than feelings stemming from poor nutrition or overwork of the muscles.

What you're experiencing might be something different regarding absorption. My doctor during one of my physicals and whom was vegan-understanding but followed paleo, whom has left his practice for other things so I can't get him to clarify, once was telling me he doesn't like the current crop of beans. That Monsanto has engineered them to be pest-resistant but they can cause absorption problems and I remember him mentioning magnesium. I kind of tuned him out because I was going to research it more on my own, and he and I both knew I wasn't going to give up beans. Since then I haven't been able to find much research to back up what he's saying (being the science kind of guy I like evidenced based practices prior to making changes)

Interestingly low magnesium levels can cause muscle cramping and weakness.

#17 ·
I think it depends on how much you weigh - from memory I think it's something like if you're sedentary/mildly active about 1g of protein for every 1kg you weigh (so if you weighed 60kg that would be 60g pure protein). This increases according to how much exercise and what sort of exercise you do. A decent book on sports nutrition will have some charts - the best ones I've found come from books that deal with a specific type of sport.

I've recently seen a nutritionist who told me that I need to increase the amount of protein in my diet because of the exercise I'm doing (endurance sports). Basically her advice was that I should continue eating as I was but to add some hemp powder, nuts & seeds & spirulina to supplement my intake. Of course you can also get more protein from eggs and dairy but I'm trying a dairy free diet right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.