Dried Uncooked Split Peas - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By mark lori
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM

Hey ya'll,

I was wondering if it would be okay to digest split peas raw/uncooked. I have grounded some into a fine powder and put it into a protein shake, instead of using protein powder. It is a very cheap alternative and it offers a great amount of protein as well as carbohydrates with dietary fiber.

So, I am mainly asking if our bodies have any trouble digesting split peas (as a pea powder) or if uncooked split peas have an toxins that can cause problems with our bodies.

THANKS! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Impeach the psychopath

I don't think there are any toxins. I've eaten raw peas and never had any distress. I've also seen recipes for raw split-pea soup. Since they're dehydrated, you might want to take some extra water with them.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#3 Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Okay thank you. I was wondering because I have researched a little and saw that other beans have some toxins and if not cooked can cause bodily problems.

A buddy and I have been thinking of great and simple ways to create "protein powder" naturally that would be cheap and easy to put together. (we are trying to put on weight and the split peas offers a decent amount of protein and a excellent source of carbohydrates including large amounts of dietary fiber).

Although I have learned the taste of finely ground split peas is quite unpleasant.

I'm trying to put together different foods that could drown out the taste of the grounded split peas... Any suggestions???

#4 Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Banned

If you like chocolate then maybe add some cocoa powder, see if that helps.  Do you use cow or plant milk?  If plant milk then I think soy is the best source of protein (might be wrong).

#5 Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Are we talking about DRIED spilt peas? 

It sounds like the people responding are thinking of fresh peas, uncooked> That's fine.

If you're grinding dried split peas, I don't know!

How do they make protein powder from peas?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 AM

Yes I am talking about dried uncooked split peas

i.e:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10534711?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227010199773&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=18142075870&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem#Nutrition+Facts

They make "protein powder" simply because they are fairly rich in protein per serving (10g). It is by no means a large amount of protein, but the split peas also offer a good amount of carbohydrates which are much needed as well. 

I was thinking it would be better for me to intake a natural easy to make as well as cheap "protein powder" over ones you can buy.

#7 Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Are we talking about DRIED spilt peas? 

It sounds like the people responding are thinking of fresh peas, uncooked> That's fine.

If you're grinding dried split peas, I don't know!

How do they make protein powder from peas?

Pea protein is sold to aid muscle development (veg*n high protein powder without casein etc).  It's made from split yellow peas and the manufactured forms cost quite a bit.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/pea-protein-isolate/10530136.html?rbm=a&gclid=CIe2x8T997cCFVMRtAodLUsA2Q&affil=thggpsad&utm_campaign=gp_sports&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googleprod

#8 Old 06-23-2013, 04:23 AM
Vegan Very Metal

Pea protein actually tastes nothing like peas, being so processed that's probably no wonder. I recently paid nearly £17 for 908 grams (2lbs) so you're probably better off trying to find a cheaper source.
#9 Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 PM

I've extracted my own pea protein from split peas,

1. grind; or soak 100g dried split peas over night,
2. blend into a minimum amount of water (roughly 300ml) to make a viscous paste,
3. strain paste with a cheesecloth and keep the liquid,
4. repeat step 2 with the same solids 2 more times,
5. leave the liquid for an hour or two for starch to settle out and decant the liquid from the starch
optional: leave the starch to dry and the starch can be recovered and pressed into powder,
6. heat till boiling and leave for a minute and add 2 tablespoons of vinegar per 100g of dried peas,
7. leave for 20 minutes for the curds to settle,
8. very gently pour into four layers of cheesecloth and allow gravity to remove all the waste water,
optional: this waste water can be fermented and distilled for alcohol :P
9. gently squeeze the cheesecloth to extract the last bit of water,
10. the solids can be dried and ground to make the final protein powder powder,
this can be done with soy beans to make tofu or any other protein containing foodstuff, it basically separates out fats and soluble proteins.
#10 Old 09-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly Holehouse-eyre View Post
I've extracted my own pea protein from split peas,

1. grind; or soak 100g dried split peas over night,
2. blend into a minimum amount of water (roughly 300ml) to make a viscous paste,
3. strain paste with a cheesecloth and keep the liquid,
4. repeat step 2 with the same solids 2 more times,
5. leave the liquid for an hour or two for starch to settle out and decant the liquid from the starch
optional: leave the starch to dry and the starch can be recovered and pressed into powder,
6. heat till boiling and leave for a minute and add 2 tablespoons of vinegar per 100g of dried peas,
7. leave for 20 minutes for the curds to settle,
8. very gently pour into four layers of cheesecloth and allow gravity to remove all the waste water,
optional: this waste water can be fermented and distilled for alcohol :P
9. gently squeeze the cheesecloth to extract the last bit of water,
10. the solids can be dried and ground to make the final protein powder powder,
this can be done with soy beans to make tofu or any other protein containing foodstuff, it basically separates out fats and soluble proteins.
Wow, I always wondered how this was done! Thanks for sharing this!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 10-03-2014, 10:53 PM

Nice idea of the protein shake.
I never experienced any distress when i had raw split peas.

Thanks for the idea !!
#12 Old 10-12-2014, 08:25 AM

I like peas with cabbage in a frying condition. During winter season in my country, it is the best item for all of the members of our family.Also dried peas are favourite to me.
LedBoots likes this.
#13 Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to WalkTheWalk
Hey i'm a raw vegan and just started eating soaked dried split peas along with the vitamins from the water. SHould be ok, you will find so many things on the net so i think common sense is what you should go by. i also soak organic rice and use the water for skin and hair and also drink it and eat the rice, same with quinoa but not for skin/hair. Basically u can soak or sprout any grain/said that is good and eat it. I eat soaked/sprouted chickpeas and lentils as well. I go back and forth if i should eat them with the sprouts or without and just soaked 24 hours or so.
#14 Old 07-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWalk View Post
Hey i'm a raw vegan and just started eating soaked dried split peas along with the vitamins from the water. SHould be ok, you will find so many things on the net so i think common sense is what you should go by. i also soak organic rice and use the water for skin and hair and also drink it and eat the rice, same with quinoa but not for skin/hair. Basically u can soak or sprout any grain/said that is good and eat it. I eat soaked/sprouted chickpeas and lentils as well. I go back and forth if i should eat them with the sprouts or without and just soaked 24 hours or so.

Certain beans, if eaten uncooked, are poisonous. Red kidney beans and white kidney beans, in particular, should be boiled and fully cooked prior to eating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytohaemagglutinin

Spudulika and Emma JC like this.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#15 Old 07-14-2017, 06:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to WalkTheWalk
don't believe everythign you read on the internet or what trolls say on it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page