3rd day of food poisoning :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Beginner

Ugh- I've been sick since Friday afternon with what I'm convinced is food poisoning. What's worse is that I gave it to myself I haven't eaten out anywhere and the only thing different I've eaten from the rest of the fam has been some tabouli I made Friday afternoon. I'm almost positive it was the parsley, because I've eaten all the other things in the tabouli seperately in recent days with no ill effects.

I had a pretty high fever Fri night, with chills- but no vomiting, it's only been coming out the other way. I'd much rather be puking. I've been trying to keep hydrated, but nothing is staying in me Any words of wisdom from those who've dealt with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Beginner

Aw, honey, I'm so sorry! Everyone's been getting sick these days.

The only advice I have for you is to keep doing what you've been doing - stay as hydrated as you can. You might also want to consider taking Immodium...the Harvard Health Review that I just got done reading said it was pretty useful for treating IBS-related diarrhea, and I'd venture that it would do the same for your food poisoning. If you don't get better within a day or two, I think you should go see a doctor, because it seems like you might be dealing with something serious.

Hope you feel better!
#3 Old 04-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Beginner

For food poisioning, you aren't supposed to take Immodium or other "hold 'em in" meds. you need to let nature flush your system.

If your fever comes back, go to the hospital. if your runs go for more then 48 hours straight, go to the hospital. If you vomit for more then 12 hours straight, go to the hospital.

If none of these apply, then drink lots of water, some juices, have some dry toast, stay away from fatty foods, etc. all the common sense things.

Have "fun" Get better? Yeah, that one
#4 Old 04-05-2004, 02:17 AM
Banned

I must have ate some of your tabouli too. Are you sure it is food poisoning? I think the last bout of flu is making its rounds.
#5 Old 04-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Beginner

Aww! Be sure and stay hydrated as much as possible. Lots of water, chamomile tea, gatorade, emergen-c, whatever you can tolerate. Don't push eating until you feel up to it.

Feel better soon!
#6 Old 04-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Beginner

I agree with krista on this one. If your body is trying to flush something out - let it. Immodium will work on diarrhea regardless of the cause because it extracts extra water out of the bowels and slows them down.

I don't really see how you could get food poisoning from parsley though? Unless I guess it was really really contaminated.

Stick to the BRAT diet - Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast, in that order as can be tolerated. Definitely get some fluids with electrolytes. Pedialyte ice pops are pretty good when you feel ick. Other than that I usually drink fruit water because its got electrolytes but not all the sugar in a sports drink which can be irritating in and of itself.

Feel better!

ETA: As an IBS sufferer, I don't even take antidiarrheals unless absolutely necessary (i.e. i have to be somewhere!). I seem to feel better just letting my body do what it wants to, as long as I have the time to wait around until its decided its through..

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 04-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Beginner

[QUOTE=rabid_child]

I don't really see how you could get food poisoning from parsley though? Unless I guess it was really really contaminated. [QUOTE]

Actually, it wouldn't have to be that contaminated at all. There was a recent outbreak of Shigella due to contaminated parsley that was added to a salad. Shigella causes diarrhea, and can be very infective at a low dose (like eating only 100 bacteria.) I can't find the reference to the outbreak right now, though.

Punkmommy, I hope you feel better soon!
#8 Old 04-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Beginner

Next time if you suspect it consider getting your stomach pumped it REALLY HELPS
#9 Old 04-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Beginner

I have nothing to add except and feel better, punkmommy.
#10 Old 04-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Beginner

And you, too, Life. Feel better.
#11 Old 04-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Thanks everybody-I'm all better now! I'm just really glad my 4yr old didn't eat any of the parsley or he would have been in bad shape. I never want to experience that again! Thanks again for your thoughts

Life2K- I hope you're feeling better too!
#12 Old 04-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Beginner

Hi PunkMomma!

Thats great recovering so quickly!!

Here's a tip: Stay well and you'll be so much the better! hehe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page