possible for eyes to change color? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Beginner

I'm 22 years old and today I decided to take a good look at my eyes (first time in a few years). Right away I noticed, they're not quite as dark brown as they use to be.

They use to look similar in color as the person in this pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orangeacid/234358923/

When I shined a light into my eyes they would have a dark brownish-redish look. Now it looks like this (my own eye): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...423cropped.jpg

...Yes I'm aware that the white balance is different between the two photos, but I feel it's close enough to give an accurate idea of what the difference in iris color is like. I've got 2 or 3 older pics of my eye close-up from a few years ago, taken with my DSLR (tried making an HDR of my eye lol). But they're not accessible atm. When I'm able to access those old photos, I'll get a new pic using the same camera on the same exposure settings, to get a more accurate comparison.

If you look close it almost seems like there's portions turning green or grey. These color variations aren't noticeable in indoor lighting. I don't know if it's visible outdoors (can't see myself & don't have a small mirror). As far as I know it's only visible when a flashlight is shined into my eyes. I don't think it's refractions or caustics, because nothing changes when I move the flashlight to any angle or distance; and my left eye has noticeably more color variation than my right eye (my right eye looks slightly closer to the original brown that I remember).

Should I get this checked out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Beginner

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color#section_3

Edit to add the text the above URL links to, with sections bolded that I think are most relevant:

Quote:
Most babies who have European ancestry have light-colored eyes before the age of one. As the child develops, melanocytes (cells found within the iris of human eyes, as well as skin and hair follicles) slowly begin to produce melanin. Because melanocyte cells continually produce pigment, in theory eye color can be changed. Most eye changes happen when the infant is around one year old, although it can happen up to three years of age.[22] Observing the iris of an infant from the side using only transmitted light with no reflection from the back of the iris, it is possible to detect the presence or absence of low levels of melanin. An iris that appears blue under this method of observation is more likely to remain blue as the infant ages. An iris that appears golden contains some melanin even at this early age and is likely to turn green or brown as the infant ages.

Changes (lightening or darkening) of eye colors during puberty, early childhood, pregnancy, and sometimes after serious trauma (like heterochromia) do represent cause for plausible argument to state that some eyes can or do change, based on chemical reactions and hormonal changes within the body.

Studies on Caucasian twins, both fraternal and identical, have shown that eye color over time can be subject to change, and major demelanization of the iris may also be genetically determined. Most eye-color changes have been observed or reported in the Caucasian population with hazel eyes.[23]

#3 Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Banned

My eyes used to be very dark brown, now they are hazel. For me the change is bc of hormones.
#4 Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Beginner

Thanks ElaineV for the link Unfortunately it doesn't quite answer my question My eye color has been the same since I can remember, at-least until after I was 20 or 21 years old (around when I took the pics for the HDR). By that article, my eyes shouldn't really be changing; nor have I ever heard of anyone's eyes change at such an age.

I take that back: I haven't heard anything about it, until now. Upon noticing the small color change in my own eyes, I decided to look it up (besides just posting here). And found this: http://goneraw.com/forum/change-eye-colour

Looky! A whole thread of people claiming their eyes had undergone a shift in color after switching to a raw diet; some claiming so even on partially raw. I have made major changes to my diet about 7 months ago, including consuming more raw fruits & veggies.

I haven't been anywhere close to my 'ideal' diet (ideal being primarily raw fruits & veggies—virtually no junk), but when I was at a peek, I noticed the sclera (white part) were a lot whiter or clearer (didn't pay attention to iris). I want to get as close as possible to that diet. And since I'm aware that diet apparently can change eye color, I'll get close-ups of my iris every week using my DSLR in manual mode (using identical exposure settings every time, for improved accuracy), to hopefully detect if eye color really can change due to diet.

I would suspect change in eye color would be a bad thing, because that'd be due to a change in pigmentation, and I'd assume that change in pigmentation would be due to lack of some nutrient. But I dunno jack about eyes except they're our watching balls, so who am I to say something like this?

EDIT: I'm considering using photoshop to find the average color of the iris (excluding pupil & sclera). That should show even the slightest change in color. Any significant change in average color should prove (at-least for my eyes) if they really are changing color (ie possibly from diet).
#5 Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Beginner

I saw a 4 year old's eyes go from a very definite blue, to pale green. I thought that was too old for eyes to change.
#6 Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I saw a 4 year old's eyes go from a very definite blue, to pale green. I thought that was too old for eyes to change.

Blue to green happens at older ages than other colors, I think because it is just adding yellow. My sister's eyes went blue to greenish blue at about 10 years old, and my son's eyes were blue until he was about 4 or 5 years old. He is 19 now and they are pure green.
#7 Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Boo!

My eyes were very brown until I was a late teenager, when they started to turn green (hazel.) The green started toward the middle of the eyes, then slowly worked its way outward. The whole change took decades (35-years or so) to complete. I have green eyes now, but for many years, I had "two-tone" eyes. Certain forms ask you for your eye color, then give a list to choose from; I never knew whether to say brown or green. My eyesight has always been pretty good, and there was never any pain involved with the changing. Just saying.

It's definitely possible for eyes to be multi-colored and to change color completely, although I don't think it's common- I've only seen one other person with similar eyes. In my case, I don't think it was diet related, because I didn't go veg*n until I was in my 40s.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#8 Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Beginner

I got access to my old photos. I guess I deleted the close-ups; I can't find them. Dammit lol

Next best thing: old photos with similar lighting conditions. (Not the best samples but better than nothing I suppose)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sidebyside.jpg

Unfortunately the last photo (5/29/2012) has somewhat different lighting conditions than the other two. However, when looking in a mirror with a flashlight (or other strong light source) the greenish colors are still present and are slightly more obvious in-person. Future photos will be better controlled, like I had mentioned in my previous posts.

Sorry if I seem obsessive or something over this... I find it incredibly intriguing that eye color may possibly change due to diet (or something else), especially since I've always been told one's eye color was permanent to what nature had dealt them.

@ Capstan:
Interesting story

Did you make any significant life style changes before your eyes started changing color? And when you went veg*n, did it accelerate the color shift? ...Or otherwise affect your eye color at all?
#9 Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

Did you make any significant life style changes before your eyes started changing color?

No, not at all, other than the usual stuff: swapping bicycles for cars, middle school for high school, etc. It's almost like its onset was just another part of growing up.

Quote:
And when you went veg*n, did it accelerate the color shift? ...Or otherwise affect your eye color at all?

Apparently, they're still two-tone. Until you posted this thread, I hadn't looked at them closely for many years. I just took a picture. The bright flash shows that there's still brown. And I had things backward: the green, really more grey, is encroaching from the outside, not the inside. Who knows- maybe going veg*n has slowed the process or is trying to reverse it?
LL

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#10 Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Beginner

my eyes change color each day and are two toned
just my 2 cents
#11 Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Beginner

OK unless I made a big booboo somewhere (multiple times) or my camera is brightening brown colors for some reason, I think it's possible my eyes really are becoming lighter: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...o/685f7517.jpg

This time all photos were taken with the same sensor, lens, and ISO (sensor's sensitivity to light). Exposure time and aperture size vary slightly for each photo, though the differences are not enough to affect color accuracy. The upper samples were old photos of my face, with the flash as the primary light source for all of them. The lower left photo (camera flash, cool) was taken in lighting conditions as close as I could get to the upper photos. The other three in the bottom row were taken in various lighting conditions. All photos I checked prior to 2009 consistently returned nearly identical color averages as the 7/13/2009 and 1/4/2010 samples.

@ Capstan:
Maybe your eyes really did turn green, but switched later to grey? Have you ever asked a doctor about this whole eye color switching deal? Do you possibly have photos (that you wouldn't mind sharing) before your eyes decided to change colors?

@ JVskier:
What colors do they switch to? Are you sure it's just not glare from something?

EDIT:

Just noticed your edit, ElaineV. Thanks for pointing those portions out The reason I said it didn't answer my question, is because: I'm no longer in puberty; definitely no longer in early childhood; I'm male so I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant; and I haven't experienced any serious trauma (unless being really bored or switching to vegetarian is considered traumatic). I had assumed at-least one of those conditions had to be met in order for eye color/shade change to occur—and I don't meet anyone of those.
#12 Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Men have hormone changes too.

my eyes lightened up quite a bit bc of hormonal changes. its so apparent that there are a few days every month they are almost totally green.
#13 Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Beginner

My hubbie had very dark brown eyes when we met and now they are a lot lighter and more hazel-coloured.
#14 Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Beginner

I would actually have to say that like the myth that people can have 2 eyes of different colours like (David Bowie, he would use techniques like look C*ck eyed to make his eyes look different colours) that this is not possible. Your eyes you may be surprised to hear have probably been changed.
#15 Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

OK unless I made a big booboo somewhere (multiple times) or my camera is brightening brown colors for some reason, I think it's possible my eyes really are becoming lighter: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...o/685f7517.jpg

This time all photos were taken with the same sensor, lens, and ISO (sensor's sensitivity to light). Exposure time and aperture size vary slightly for each photo, though the differences are not enough to affect color accuracy. The upper samples were old photos of my face, with the flash as the primary light source for all of them. The lower left photo (camera flash, cool) was taken in lighting conditions as close as I could get to the upper photos. The other three in the bottom row were taken in various lighting conditions. All photos I checked prior to 2009 consistently returned nearly identical color averages as the 7/13/2009 and 1/4/2010 samples.

@ Capstan:
Maybe your eyes really did turn green, but switched later to grey? Have you ever asked a doctor about this whole eye color switching deal? Do you possibly have photos (that you wouldn't mind sharing) before your eyes decided to change colors?

@ JVskier:
What colors do they switch to? Are you sure it's just not glare from something?

EDIT:

Just noticed your edit, ElaineV. Thanks for pointing those portions out The reason I said it didn't answer my question, is because: I'm no longer in puberty; definitely no longer in early childhood; I'm male so I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant; and I haven't experienced any serious trauma (unless being really bored or switching to vegetarian is considered traumatic). I had assumed at-least one of those conditions had to be met in order for eye color/shade change to occur—and I don't meet anyone of those.

It is completely possible to have two different eye colors, and yes I have central Heterochromia eyes its very uncommon, my eyes are blue with a brown center ring or greenish grey with a brown center ring sometimes hazel too etc..
#16 Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

I think mine were more sky blue when I was little and more aqua blue now. I often hold my breath for hours, so the rest of my face matches.
#17 Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Beginner

Mine seem to have changed from a nondescript hazel color to a more light green hue over the last couple years.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#18 Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

deleted

#19 Old 05-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Beginner

Mine are a beautiful and rare shade of sea blue when I'm cheerful; almost black when I'm brooding or having a tantrum; striking green with saucy flecks of yellow when I'm telling a joke; and soulful brown when I'm just lounging around the house on a Sunday listening to mellow jazz.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#20 Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Beginner

My eyes are brown but switch to green if i spend a lot of times in front of my computer. Luminosity stuff with clearly visible effects.

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/ https://www.eff.org/ https://www.torproject.org/

http://www.enigmail.net/  http://www.openbsd.org/  https://www.ixquick.com/

http://www.opennicproject.org/ https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#21 Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

My eyes used to be very dark brown, now they are hazel. For me the change is bc of hormones.

what about your hormones changed may I ask? pregnancy? if so, what color are your baby's eyes?

#22 Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Faith View Post

what about your hormones changed may I ask? pregnancy? if so, what color are your baby's eyes?
Growing up, taking oral bc, quitting dairy, and the normal monthly changes that most women ( and men) experience.
No pregnancy, no baby.
#23 Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobArtois View Post

I would actually have to say that like the myth that people can have 2 eyes of different colours like (David Bowie, he would use techniques like look C*ck eyed to make his eyes look different colours) that this is not possible. Your eyes you may be surprised to hear have probably been changed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying it's not possible for people to have eyes of two different colours? David Bowie's eyes are actually the same colour, he just has a permanently dilated pupil which makes it look darker, but lots of people (myself included) do have two different coloured eyes. So do some cats and dogs!

#24 Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Not a Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVskier View Post

It is completely possible to have two different eye colors, and yes I have central Heterochromia eyes its very uncommon, my eyes are blue with a brown center ring or greenish grey with a brown center ring sometimes hazel too etc..

I think I have heterochromiatic eyes. When I was 11 I met my grandmother for the first time since I was two and she said I have the family coloured eyes. Depending on the light and what I'm wearing they vary from green to grey blue to dark grey and I have a hazel ring around the iris. Makes filling out official forms a little difficult...
#25 Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Beginner

The part of the eye that you are talking about is the iris. Have you heard of iridology (from Wikipedia):

Iridology (also known as iridodiagnosis[1] or iridiagnosis[2]) is an alternative medicine technique whose proponents claim that patterns, colors, and other characteristics of the iris can be examined to determine information about a patient's systemic health. Practitioners match their observations to iris charts, which divide the iris into zones that correspond to specific parts of the human body. Iridologists see the eyes as "windows" into the body's state of health.

The very latest research shows that lack of vitamin D that comes from the sun of God or God's sun in pregnant women and babies causes autism and type 1 diabetes according to PubMed and other sources. Prevent Autism and Type 1 Diabetes.

http://bit.ly/type-1d 

#26 Old 07-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Not a Beginner

I have and I saw a practicioner at one stage out of curiousity, which was enough to prove it wasn't for me.  None of the diagnosis fit, most likely because I'm pretty sure this is a hereditary thing. Either that or they were really bad at their job.

#27 Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Beginner

Yes it's possible... I was about 17 or 18 before my eyes began to change in color...; they used to be a really dark brown and then notice the change turning to yellows and greens ( around age 17)... NOW... I have one almost green eye (about 75%)  and they other about 60/40 mostly brown still...

#28 Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Beginner

My entire family..all of my sisters and brothers..have various shades of green eyes...My mother was born with green eyes..  my dad has blue eyes..mine and my siblings  eyes were all dark blue until we were between the ages of 9-12  that is when our eyes all changed color.....i have 5 children.....my eyes are green and my hubbies eyes are blue....4 out of my 5 kids  have had their eyes change color  between the ages of 9-12 2 boys and 2 girls...they all have green eyes now..but were all born with very dark blue eyes...only one of my boys has kept the blue eyes   but he is only 14...my eyes went back and forth..from blue to green until i was about 19 yrs old

#29 Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 AM
Beginner

I have been vegetarian for 3 years now, but only vegan for about 6 months, here is a picture from my vegetarian days (left eye) to my eye colour now (right eye)... Even my skins improved and my under eye bags are finally lightening! 

It's getting more blue and the the brown/yellow is starting to disappear. From what I have learnt eyes show the toxins in your body so I think since my body is now cleaner, my eyes are doing the same..?! I'm doing a juice fast atm so will be taking a picture of my eyes at the end of it to see if there is any noticeable difference. Hope this helps!
Oh and I forgot to mention I had dark brown eyes and olive skin when I was a child, now I am fair and well you can see my eye colour..?? 

#30 Old 02-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Beginner

Quite curious, as mine have changed color too. From brown when I was a child, to amber in my lower to upper teens, and now they're more green...about 2/3rds green. I have no raw diet like some of you are stating, I eat a lot of meat and dairy (trying to get a paleolithic diet going). I do have a side by side pic of my eyes at 14 and the other at 20,the change is quite clear and forward. I made this pic to show my eyes to people in a forum that I belong to, it's for people with rare blood types, all of them have had their eye colors change with age as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page