Urban Legend: Quinoa Has More Calcium Than Cows Milk - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Beginner

There is an urban legend going around on the internet ( and in at least one cookbook that I happened to buy ) that 1 cup of cooked quinoa has more calcium than a quart of milk.

This isn't true. One cup of cooked quinoa has about 1/10 the calcium of just 1 cup of cows milk.

From the USDA nutrition database:
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6430

Not to be entirely negative, there are tasty vegan calcium sources that do match and exceed the amount of calcium found in cows milk:
http://beforewisdom.com/blog/milkand...rbing-calcium/

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Yeah, but quinoa isn't acidic so it doesn't leech calcium from bones

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#3 Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Beginner

I just had this really weird idea for a moment that milk was made of bones.
#4 Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Beginner

I don't see anything negative about that, I've never heard quinoa had that much protein, but so what?
At least it doesn't get repeatedly impregnated and have it's babies stolen and murdered.

And... there are much better sources for calcium in a days diet than babies milk.
#5 Old 04-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Beginner

I have never heard this before.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#6 Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I never heard any calcium/quinoa claims either. It's such a yummy, adaptable, cute, little proteiny, grain, I will overlook its lowness in calcium.
#7 Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Banned

I don't think this is really an urban legend.
#8 Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Beginner

I hadn't heard of this, but it's important that we don't go around spreading misinformation, which can happen among certain groups like veg*ns and feminists.
#9 Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 AM
Beginner

^ I agree. You totally undermine yourself by spreading misinformation, and it makes it very easy for people to dissmiss the benefits of a vegan diet, or even just that it is healthy, if you justify it with false information.
#10 Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Yeah, but quinoa isn't acidic so it doesn't leech calcium from bones

Reference please?
#11 Old 04-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Beginner

I've never heard the calcium/quinoa thing.

Vegetarians are one of the groups I've heard the most untrue, anti-science urban legends from. Theirs are not just about food either--pick any "natural" topic such as alternative medicine and it's just nuts. For some reason this forum seems to have more sensible critical thinkers than most.

Feminists? Never heard an urban legend from feminists myself.

Beanitarian.
#12 Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Beginner

^Ever hear of the whole "22 percent-35 percent of women who visit a hospital emergency room do so because of domestic violence"? It was a common statistic in feminist texts (including ones used in colleges) but it ended up being a junky stat.

If people hear a figure or concept that seems to support their discussion particularly well it can start pinging around in ideological communities and become a kind of meme before anyone puts the brakes on it. I don't see vegetarians as being quite as bad as you do, but the health food types can end up in odd places. That and a lot of veg*ns overstate the health benefits of the diet, which isn't to say it's all wrong, but the truth is more complicated.
#13 Old 04-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Beginner

I'm not doubting you, just meant that as an observation. I haven't heard the ED stat. I did take some social work classes and they were rampant with anti-white statistics that were rather simple to disprove. Many people, when emotional or out to convince others, are willing to make up nonsense.

I happen to belong to League of Women Voters which is not anti-men, has male members and don't say crazy stats...in my experience anyway. So thankfully all feminists are not dishonest.

Dishonesty and willingness to spout unresearched statements as "facts" discredits both the individual and the cause s/he promotes.

Beanitarian.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page