B12 injections? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2012, 09:43 AM

My best friend is a nurse and can get me B12 injections at no charge, which is kinda cool since I'm vegan and B12 is somewhat of an issue if I don't eat enough fortified foods. How often should I get them?

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Hmm. Not sure why you would choose to get an injection rather than eating fortified foods or taking a supplement. You really should not be getting these injections without the guidance of a doctor.

No medical procedure is without risk, and the intramuscular injection that is used for B12 has a risk of muscle pain, nerve injury depending on the placement of the injection, and a small (but not zero) risk of infection. Taking supplements or eating fortified foods is zero risk.
#3 Old 04-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Not very often I would think. Can't your body run for years on its b12 supplies after you go vegan so it doesn't need very much.
#4 Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartpinky View Post

Not very often I would think. Can't your body run for years on its b12 supplies after you go vegan so it doesn't need very much.

That is absolutely horrible health advice. The human body quite simply needs B12. Period. It's an essential nutrient.

There's something every vegan should know about B12.

As for the OP, why not get your levels checked? Unless they're critically low there's no reason to rely on injections. Sure they won't HURT, especially if they're free, but they might be overkill.

Tam! RUGH!
#5 Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Hmm. Not sure why you would choose to get an injection rather than eating fortified foods or taking a supplement. You really should not be getting these injections without the guidance of a doctor.

No medical procedure is without risk, and the intramuscular injection that is used for B12 has a risk of muscle pain, nerve injury depending on the placement of the injection, and a small (but not zero) risk of infection. Taking supplements or eating fortified foods is zero risk.

^This. I don't understand why you would prefer getting stuck with a needle instead of just eating foods with B12 or popping a tiny pill.
#6 Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

^This. I don't understand why you would prefer getting stuck with a needle instead of just eating foods with B12 or popping a tiny pill.

What's the difference, it gets to the same place lol. I personally would say do you own research and go from there. I heard this many pluses to the injection, though obviously contact your normal physician.
#7 Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 AM

Yeah...again, if you think you might be deficient get bloodwork done. If you're just a little deficient or even if your numbers are good, taking a pill every day won't hurt one bit. It's water soluble. Your body will flush out any excess. Many vegans do become deficient to horrible health results. It's not a game or a gamble. It's your health...but injections are rarely necessary for most people.

Tam! RUGH!
#8 Old 04-08-2012, 08:22 AM

Got ya. I mean, I like soymilk and cereals and tofu , I just thought getting an injection would bring me up to speed if I was low faster than remembering to buy my fortified foods this week. I think I should just invest in a good multi. Thanks for the advice!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato
#9 Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Take a supplement, B12 only have an advantage if you lack intrinsic factor (pernicious anemia).

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#10 Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page