Wisdom Teeth Removal Necessary? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

I'm scheduled to get my wisdom teeth out in 2 weeks and I'm wondering if it's even really necessary. I've only had one issue with a wisdom tooth, that was 2 weeks ago when I bit my gum on the bottom because my bottom teeth are only mostly out and not 100%. The thing is, if I'm going to do it, I have to do it now because I lose my insurance at the end of May. My insurance company is paying $1,500 for it, but I still have to pay $1000 out of pocket PLUS miss out on my money making shifts at work (they only do surgeries on Fridays, I'll have to take 5 days off). Does anyone have experience they can share? It's a lot of money (losing about $1,400 I don't have), it's a painful procedure, and I'm nervous about being put under.

If anyone is interested, this is the cool X-Ray my oral surgeon took. You can see my top 2 are still under the gums, my bottom two are almost completely out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Beginner

Is the dentist doing it or are you going to an oral surgeon? All 3 of my kids had it done over the last couple of years. Daughters were too impacted and the dentist wouldn't do them, oral surgeon cost around $2,400 (according to my wife he had a gorgeous office with a stone fireplace taking up one wall) . Both boys were able to do it at the dentist, still ran around $1,100 - $1,200 for each of them. No dental insurance either.

If I were you I'd just get them done now rather than have potential problems down the road.
#3 Old 03-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Beginner

It's always better to get them out rather than risk a problem , but as far as I know there's only really an issue if they're coming in and there isn't enough room for them...or they're coming in sideways, which happened to my sister. Did the dentist tell you specifically why they need out?
#4 Old 03-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Oral Surgeon. $2,438 is the figure I was given. The paper is confusing though, it says "Insurance: $1,994," then at the bottom says "Your insurance company may pay $1,500." So I'm guessing it's likely going to pay the 2k, but plan for the lower number. I was told to expect to pay $938. Maybe you can help decipher it:

#5 Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Beginner

I need to switch careers and become an oral surgeon apparently.
#6 Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

It's always better to get them out rather than risk a problem , but as far as I know there's only really an issue if they're coming in and there isn't enough room for them...or they're coming in sideways, which happened to my sister. Did the dentist tell you specifically why they need out?

If my insurance covered it all, it wouldn't be an issue. But $1,400 is a lot. My teeth used to be coming in sideways, but they straightened themselves out. My old dentist took the same panoramic x-ray a lonnng time ago (when I was in high school) and I even saw them growing towards my other teeth. I'm glad they at least stopped pushing my teeth together. Even though my teeth are close, they seem like there's enough room for all of them (looking in my mouth and in the X-Ray).

I asked my dentist before I bit my gums if it was really necessary to get my teeth out. He told me no, but if I had problems in the future, it's harder to heal from having them out then. And having my bottom teeth still not 100% out puts me at risk to an infection since it allows for bacteria to go in. I've only had 1 problem in 10 years though.
#7 Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

I need to switch careers and become an oral surgeon apparently.

Yes, yes you do It's a lot of schooling and your liability insurance is high, that's why they charge so much. I actually wouldn't mind paying that much to have them extracted if I had the money, $2,400 seems like a bargain considering what they're doing.
#8 Old 03-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Beginner

Yours actually looks like there may be space to keep them, mine were jammed in there and turned a weird way. Have you actually discussed it, did you choose general anesthesia? Because i got 2 out of 3 i had out and they just did a bunch of local which was fine for me, i know the place i went they only put people under if it's because they'll freak out in the chair, like my sister did, also without general you don't pay for an anesthesiologist so it's less money i'm sure. For some people it's definitely not necessary to get them out but you'd probably have to get a second opinion. And just some tips if you do do it, get your prescription filled right away and take the pain meds within an hour after, all i needed to take was the prescription ibuprofen, didn't need the Vicodin, and of course get applesauce and other easy to eat things, i lived on pre cooked tubbed mashed potatoes for a couple days, good luck!
#9 Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Banned

deleted

#10 Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Beginner

i have mine, they're still coming in. i doubt i'd ever have them removed unless they were causing problems
#11 Old 03-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

I still have mine and I'm 25, I think they're all the way developed now. Just a little anecdotal evidence for ya, I haven't had any issues at all besides feeling like a teething baby when they were growing in

If you have enough space for them consider yourself lucky and skip the surgery, that's what I'd do anyway.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#12 Old 03-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what to do
#13 Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Beginner

Leave out the anesthesia to save some money, or head south and get it done in Mexico for much, much cheaper

I know it probably sounds like I'm being a smart ass, but that's honestly what I'd do. Since I go to China regularly anyway, that's where I see the dentist for a fraction of the cost when I have to. If I weren't already going there, I'd go somewhere else both closer and cheaper. And it can be done with local painkillers instead of anesthesia. That's what they did with me in boot camp. It's kind of weird because you can feel them hammering and chipping away and stuff, but it doesn't hurt.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#14 Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

I would rather pay to be put out (insurance covers most of it anyway) than be awake through them being taken out. Noooo way would I do well.
#15 Old 03-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Beginner

I am completely surgery-phobic so I'd avoid it if I could, but I have terrible teeth that like to grow in jagged so I'm sure I'll have to get it done at some point.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#16 Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#17 Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Beginner

My husband just let his come in. Mine started coming in, but came in all crooked (the tip of one was cutting my cheek) and hurt like hell, so I had to have them out somewhat urgently and missed my college graduation ceremony. In retrospect, I would have planned to have them out sooner unless I was really sure there would be enough room and they would come in straight enough. Having the surgery urgently really messed up my plans - I got dry sockets while on a vacation with my husband, and the recovery took quite a while.
#18 Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Beginner

Why not get a second opinion rather than ask us here?

Also, why would you miss 5 days work? Getting them out isn't that bad...
#19 Old 04-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

I plan on making an appointment tomorrow for a second opinion. Should I go to another oral surgeon or dentist? I can bring my own X-Rays, so that will save money.

I have to miss at least the first 3 days, which are my money making shifts. Mondays and Tuesdays don't matter anyway. I've had numerous people tell me they only planned for 3 days off, then they ended up calling in sick for longer. When I worked at my last restaurant job, every girl came back on day 4 with swollen cheeks and in a lot of pain. It's better to play it safe than have to call into work. If I'm scheduled and can't show, it screws over everyone (day and night crew).
#20 Old 04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Found this online:

"Most problems with wisdom teeth develop when people are between 15 and 25 years old. Few people older than 30 develop problems that require removal of their wisdom teeth."

I'm almost 26 and have had ONE problem since I got them, that problem lasted a week.

And this:

If you compare it to my X-Ray, my teeth aren't growing in sideways. Also, my bottom wisdom teeth are mostly out, I can clean around them and have always done it anyway.

I'm torn.
#21 Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Beginner

I would still get a second opinion. Double check that one minor problem won't be something that turns into something major later on. There are some dentist out there who will tell you they need to come out when they really don't have to. A second opinion will make you feel better about this decision and spending the money (if you have to get them out)

I got mine checked out by a oral surgeon, but it was pretty obvious they needed to come out, so I don't know if a dentist would be a better choice for you or not...
#22 Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

My dentist even told me they didn't have to come out, he just used the incident where I bit my gum as a reason to push it more. What is left after your teeth come out? Just an empty space in the back for food to get stuck?
#23 Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Found a local dentist I'm going to call tomorrow for a second opinion
#24 Old 04-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

My dentist even told me they didn't have to come out, he just used the incident where I bit my gum as a reason to push it more. What is left after your teeth come out? Just an empty space in the back for food to get stuck?

In my case, there's not much space. My gums extend a little bit beyond my back teeth, but there are no big holes or anything. It should be pretty much like your mouth was before they started coming in, unless bone needs to be removed or something.
#25 Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

I remember my ex had little pockets in his teeth from where they were removed. My bottom teeth are almost completely out, it seems like there would be a pretty big gap.
#26 Old 04-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Beginner

I think pockets are common at first, but then the areas heal and it just becomes gum.
#27 Old 04-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Banned

deleted
#28 Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Beginner

I think a second opinion is a good idea. I also think that it's a good idea to avoid anesthesia whenever possible.

That said, I got mine removed. And they put me under to do it. I don't regret it.

But I have to tell you, I hated coming out of the anesthesia. It was truly awful. I was so scared and frustrated that I could not communicate because my mouth was stuffed with cotton, numb, and my mind wasn't working properly to make speaking coherently possible.

And the pain from the surgery didn't come on for a few days, but when it hit it was really bad. I had these terrible headaches and ringing/vibrations in my head. It lasted about a week and a half and then everything was fine.

I had those pockets you all are talking about and had to flush food out of them with a syringe, but they healed up. I can't remember or not if the oral surgeon added more stitches to close them up and help them heal but I think so. It's very important to return for all your follow-up visits.
#29 Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Beginner

I agree with the second opinion. I had two of mine removed last year by an oral surgeon at a low cost dental clinic. My dentist wouldn't do the surgery because they were in a complicated spot. They needed to come out because they were constantly getting infected.

Due to various reasons. I had the lowest dose of IV sedation they have ever given anyone including children. I also didn't take the 2 valium that the other patients recieved 30 mins prior to the surgery. It worked out best for me. I didn't feel a thing, I wasn't totally out of it and it seemed like it flew by. I also lucked out in my recovery . It was pretty painless and I didn't have any swelling. I was more annoyed with the fact that I was going through nicotene withdrawal because I couldn't smoke.

As for the empty spaces, a bloodclot forms over the space and the gum tissue heals around it. It does take awhile to totally close up but you won't have those annoying holes there forever.
#30 Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Beginner

I would get a second opinion.

I had mine out, my husband did not. His grew in and his teeth are crooked (hard to say if the wisdom teeth caused it though), but he hasn't had any problems with his teeth.

As far as what to expect if you do get them out, coming out of the anesthesia you will be very loopy and your mouth will probably swell up like a chipmunk. My mom was with me and apparently I said weird things and she had to watch me pee. awkwardI don't remember the healing being painful but I do remember being afraid to stop taking the pain meds they gave me in case it did hurt. I think I had vicodin (maybe percocet?) and I didn't have any pain after.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page