Vegan Protein - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to this whole "blog/forum" thing. I actually just activated my account a few minutes ago. Well, I suppose I should introduce myself. I've been veg for 7 years. I'm 22 and I shifted at the age of 15. I do not miss meat, I don't even remember what it tastes like... so when I use my substitutes, it does the trick. I've been doing a lot of research about vegan proteins. I'm leaning more so towards rice protein. No cholesterol, fats, sodium, etc. Soy protein contains up to ~300 g of sodium in one serving ! Then you have to worry about being non-GMO & gluten-free. Eck, no thank-you. Unfortunately, I have read that pea-proteins can cause bone loss over a amount of time. I already have joint issues, so I'd rather not test my luck. Therefore, rice protein it is. I wanted to find one that is non-gmo & also does NOT contain the chemical that causes birth defects & reproductive issues. I really don't think I am not asking for too much. So, please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Are you talking about protein powders?
#3 Old 02-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Vegan Very Metal

Hemp protein, perhaps? What about quinoa and also amaranth?
#4 Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 PM

green leafy veggies.
fresh produce!
#5 Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

green leafy veggies.
fresh produce!

Getting protein from whole foods? You're a right loony toon, that's what you are.

But seriously, op, is there a reason you're looking for protein powders rather than just getting it from your diet? Weight training perhaps?
#6 Old 02-19-2012, 01:56 AM

I was gonna suggest hemp if you're doing a protein powder, but honestly I feel those aren't needed. Just eat a varied diet with lots of foods and you'll get enough protein.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#7 Old 02-19-2012, 02:00 AM

If you are looking into protein shakes, Tony Gonzalez (NFL Football Player) has a vegan line of his own called All Pro Science. As for in your diet, have you considered quinoa?
#8 Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 AM

Like others have said, no need for protein powders unless you plan to build a whole lot of muscles.

There are probably thousands of different kinds of proteins in our bodies for all kinds of purposes: structural protein in hair, skin, bone, muscle tissue, eyes, signal proteins such as hormones, transport proteins e.g. in your blood such as haemoglobin etc. All these proteins are assembled from 20 different kinds of amino acids, some of which can be built from other amino acids so the total number of different essential amino acids in our diet is 9. All of which can be found in a vegan diet without any supplements. You don't even need to eat all 9 essential amino acids in the same meal. (Over the course of a day or so is sufficient, I believe.)

The foods that newbie vegans tend to miss out on w.r.t. protein is usually legumes. So make sure you eat a good amount of legumes (beans, lentils, peanuts, chickpeas, peas) and/or products made from legumes such as tofu, soya milk, mock meats made from soya, hummus and so on.

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#9 Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Banned

Peanut butter and chickpeas are my favorite protein sources. You can roast chickpeas with olive oil and salt (or just eat them plain...I've done it). You can throw them over salads, into soups or pasta dishes, or mash them with onions, celery and mustard for a vegan version of tuna salad. They're great in curry. Or Italian tomato sauce. Seriously, they go with everything and bulk up any meal. I love them.

Peanut butter is a protein quickie too. If I'm hungry and lazy, a piece of peanut butter whole grain toast is perfect. You can also make a smoothie with peanut butter, banana and almond milk. Or put it on crackers. Or on a raw banana, or an apple, or even a carrot (maybe I'm weird but I like it).

Learn to cook with lentils, too. They're nutritionally incredible. Nothing fills me up like a dish made with lentils, be it soup, tacos, burger patties or spaghetti sauce.

You can also season food with nutritional yeast if you like it. The Red Star brand has 8g of protein per serving. They don't all have that much, so you may want to read labels.
#10 Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 AM

I agree that protein shakes are not necessary. It was only a suggestion because it was brought up. The one important rule, eat a variety of foods in your diet. It is to complement your protein...and at the same time balance your nutritional needs of vits/mins, etc.
#11 Old 02-25-2012, 07:31 PM

Soy protein is the most complete, highest quality, and most biologically valuable as far as vegan proteins go, powder or other wise. Complementary sources of protein are the only way to get all the essential amino acids.
#12 Old 03-11-2012, 02:46 PM

I concur with many of the above posts! I used to be really concerned about getting enough protein because I'd crash, blood-sugar-wise, often. Since going vegan though I haven't crashed once despite stopping worrying about that so probably getting about half the protein I was before ( still plenty, we don't need THAT much. Wholefoods do the trick ) and doing 'bad' things like eating bananas on their own without something to 'slow them down'. Going vegan helped me realise that if you just eat real foods, all that mumbojumbo is pretty irrelevant..or not the big deal my medical family raised me to think it was..
#13 Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 PM

Make green smoothies and add things like chia and hemp seeds to them. I do this

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page