Vegan Diet and Missed Menstrual Cycle - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Beginner

I've read that those who are vegetarian can start 'skipping' their periods because of their diet. One article says that there sometimes isn't enough calorie intake to produce a menstrual cycle..... Has anyone else here ever experienced this? Thoughts?

" You are what you eat. I am not fear, despair, death, or pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Beginner

This can happen with any type of diet. Calories have to be pretty restricted to miss a period, as far as I understand it. Missed periods due to low calories/low body fat is indicative of other issues that have nothing to do with veg*nism.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#3 Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Beginner

It is a sign your body is shutting down due to poor diet, not healthy. And it can happen with any diet.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#4 Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Beginner

It can happen on any low-calorie diet. Vegan does not mean low-calorie. My periods are a little lighter now, but I'm still regular.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#5 Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Beginner

Yeah no. If a vegan isn't getting enough calories to menstruate they are doing it wrong. Unless you are trying to lose weight and reducing your calories for that reason, changing from omni to vegan shouldn't affect how many calories you consume, you'd just get them from different things. Ideally.
#6 Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Beginner

You should talk to a doctor, and take a pregnancy test if you are sexually active. Skipped periods isn't a normal consequence of a healthy diet change.
#7 Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

I think a lot of the issues people mention having when they try going vegan are actually due to not eating enough calories. Vegan food is (mostly) lower calorie by default so you have to make sure you're keeping up your portion sizes if you're not a big eater, an online food tracker like Fitday could be helpful.

My periods have always been regular, when I was a meat eater, a vegetarian and now a vegan. I sure do eat a lot though

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Beginner

i don't know any vegetarians who have skipped their period (unless they were pregnant) but i know quite a few meat eaters who have missed periods.
#9 Old 12-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've been a vegetarian for 7 years and never skipped a single period. Take a pregnancy test if you're sexually active.
#10 Old 01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Beginner

Prego test was obtained [ check ] and a big negative..Also i work in laboratory so i have the luxury of drawing my own blood and testing my beta levels [negative] also Comprehensive Metabolic Profile & CBC done...all normal.Sooo, I got my period over a month late last time...and this month its late again already. No stress, or silly life changes blah blah blah.

" You are what you eat. I am not fear, despair, death, or pain."
#11 Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Monster View Post

Prego test was obtained [ check ] and a big negative..Also i work in laboratory so i have the luxury of drawing my own blood and testing my beta levels [negative] also Comprehensive Metabolic Profile & CBC done...all normal.

That's pretty cool and convenient! Glad the tests turned out okay.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page