Vitamin D and sunlight - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Tom

Lately I've been trying to find out the minimum angle the sun has to be above the horizon for your body to make vitamin D from sunlight exposure. I know that the lower the sun is in the sky, the more atmosphere is blocking the incoming ultraviolet light, and it probably varies somewhat from other factors too. I thought I read it someplace but now I can't find that information.

The ony thing I could find was: above a certain latitude, the sun never gets high enough for you to make viamin D in the winter- so you either have to take a supplement, or get enough sun during the warmer months to store a winter's supply.

ETA: corrected my post to say "...never gets high enough for you to make viamin D in the winter..."

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I've just been reading about this, and though I am pale and always careful about sun exposure, this summer I started going out for about 15 minutes a day when the sun is high in the sky, and getting some sun when it's feasible. It feels really good, for my mood and everything.

Since I'm in a warm place, southern US, I know we probably can get enough D. How far north are you?
#3 Old 10-22-2011, 02:04 PM

I've read some place that once your shadow is longer than you, then the sunshine is no longer strong enough. So if your shadow is longer than you at midday (1pm during daylight savings time), then you know it's definitely time to start taking the supplements.

I no longer post here after the disagreements and exodus related to the sale of VB back in 2012. (See my profile page.) 
#4 Old 10-22-2011, 04:06 PM

Check out the map here
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newswe...-vitamin-d.htm

Also, remember that there is an upper limit for vitamin D also so when you take a supplement be careful not to take too much.
#5 Old 10-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I've just been reading about this, and though I am pale and always careful about sun exposure, this summer I started going out for about 15 minutes a day when the sun is high in the sky, and getting some sun when it's feasible. It feels really good, for my mood and everything.

Since I'm in a warm place, southern US, I know we probably can get enough D. How far north are you?

still not a guarantee...my sister lives in NM and is signficantly deficiant in Vit D, and always has gotten sunshine on her arms......everyone needs to be tested, location alone is not the only key.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#6 Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM

I was deficient in D when I was tested last February. Now I just take 2k iu Vit D most days.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 10-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Tom

LedBoots, I'm in New York State. During the warm months of the year I often go out in my yard at mid-day on a weekend, wearing just shorts. and sun practically my whole body for 15 to 25 minutes (maybe 10 minutes per side). But where I live, it's not just a matter of latitude. This summer was even cloudier than usual, and it wouldn't surprise me if I am vitamin D deficient at the moment.

Kerwin, the ultraviolet portion of sunlight is what gives us vitamin D (as well as sunburn and skin cancer). Ultraviolet light doesn't get through window glass, so it would be hard to get vitamin D without going outdoors. If you have some windows which can be opened completely, you might be able to do it. But natural sunlight streaming into a room on a cold day makes me feel good, even if it doesn't provide any vitamin boost. (My cats have liked it too). I just put things on the glass to keep birds from trying to fly through it.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#8 Old 10-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I am lucky enough to live in a southern state, and I have pale skin so can more easily absorb B. I feel energized by the sun too and have my house open and sunny.
#9 Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM

I'm fair, live in Colorado and rarely go outside. I don't take D, so I thought it would be low, but I just had it checked and was told it was good. I haven't eaten a dairy product of any kind in over a decade + I've never eaten many fortified foods. How is it okay?!
#10 Old 10-28-2011, 03:10 AM

How much is low is pure opinion!. The amount to avoid bone problems is very low. The amount to virtually eradicate breast cancer is much, much higher. See D'Action video. Doctor of Public Health, Cedric Garland, says that enough vitamin D (lifeguard levels)(60-80 ng/ml) can virtually eradicate breast cancer.

The RDA of vitamin D was tripled in 12/2010 but many say it is still too low.

The very latest research shows that lack of vitamin D that comes from the sun of God or God's sun in pregnant women and babies causes autism and type 1 diabetes according to PubMed and other sources. Prevent Autism and Type 1 Diabetes.

http://bit.ly/type-1d 

#11 Old 10-28-2011, 03:46 AM

At the latitude of Boston during 3 months (around the longest day of the year-- first day of winter) you can get no vitamin D from sunlight. At the latitude of Montreal it is 5 months. The good rule of thumb is when the shadow is the same length of object is when you can barely get vitamin D from sunlight. That is a 45 degree angle. That was your question.

You can get too much from supplements, but it is rare. You cannot get too much hormone D from sunlight. In the last 3 years 6 MDs wrote 6 books on vitamin D and all say that it is a hormone not a vitamin. The body cannot make a vitamin.

In 2007 Time Magazine chose vitamin D as one of the top 10 medical breakthroughs of the year. In December 2010 the RDA of vitamin D was tripled. Doctor of Public Health, Cedric Garland, said at a conference to over 100 MDs and scientists that enough vitamin D can virtually eradicate breast cancer. Recently I heard that he is a little depressed since most people are too WHATEVER to understand it (on video with Carole Baggerly and Dr Mercola).

But the doctor who invented the stethescope was laughed out for 40 years! So after Dr Garland is dead and buried then breast cancer will be virtually eradicated.

But a little is happening already. Dr Oz has a video explaining how vitamin D prevents breast, colon and uterine cancer. Webmd.com has an article saying that women getting breast cancer have a vitamin D deficiency. Harvard has a webpage saying that vitamin D prevents breast cancer.

Johns Hopkins has a webpage saying that vitamin D prevents prostate cancer. Christiane Northrup MD has best selling books on womens health. She has a webpage on the Oprah Website saying that thousands of lives can be saved by learning that vitamin D can prevent breast cancer.

MDs Joel Fuhrman and Mark Hyman promote a plant based diet. Both make powerful statements about Vitamin D Preventing Breast Cancer.

Dr Hyman wrote Eat Your Medicine: Food as Pharmacology. He says "What you put at the end of your fork is more powerful medicine than anything you will find at the bottom of a pill bottle."

Dr Fuhrman wrote : GOMBBS: Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Beans, Berries and Seeds. Both are great articles on plant foods that heal disease. They are not big fans of drugs.

The very latest research shows that lack of vitamin D that comes from the sun of God or God's sun in pregnant women and babies causes autism and type 1 diabetes according to PubMed and other sources. Prevent Autism and Type 1 Diabetes.

http://bit.ly/type-1d 

#12 Old 10-28-2011, 04:18 AM

This is why winter is miserable in England.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#13 Old 10-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

This is why winter is miserable in England.

AMEN! I think we will continue to learn more and more about Vit D, now that the research is really beginning.....more and more is coming out about the cancer and Vit D connection.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
#14 Old 10-29-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I'm fair, live in Colorado and rarely go outside. I don't take D, so I thought it would be low, but I just had it checked and was told it was good. I haven't eaten a dairy product of any kind in over a decade + I've never eaten many fortified foods. How is it okay?!

Maybe you eat more fortified foods than you think you eat?
Maybe you're outside just often enough.
#15 Old 10-30-2011, 11:13 AM

I finally got to see the sunshine this morning, dressed warmly and went and walked and then sat in the sun with two of my cats....I could expose the forearms only and my face,and I was chilly....but I really needed to feel some sunshine today! This is going to be such a LONGGGGGGG winter again! I need to move to the tropics!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page