My skin sucks! - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Beginner

Hiya there,

I want to officially file a complaint about my skin! It's been annoying me for years and I thought that it'd get better once the worst of puberty was over, but no such luck.

Here's the deal: my skin is really horrid in that it's both flaky and greasy at the same time. So using moisturiser to get rid of the dryness and flakiness makes me break out in pimples and makes my skin unbearably oily, but I can't properly do make-up over the dry skin either, it looks awful. That's what I hate the most - that I can't even cover it up!

Now, I've given up dairy, I eat lots of fruit and veg, aim for 7 hours of sleep a night, don't smoke, drink buckets of water a day. What the heck am I still doing wrong! Does anyone else here have a skin as fickle as mine? How do you deal?

Meh, just needed to vent a litttle.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Loads of women have combination skin. That's why you see all sorts of products marketed "for combination skin"

Are you possibly stuck in the over-cleaning, so your skin produces too much oil to overcompensate, trap?

I hate to say it, but I'm old so I can...you may find that it's gets better in a couple of years.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Loads of women have combination skin. That's why you see all sorts of products marketed "for combination skin"

Are you possibly stuck in the over-cleaning, so your skin produces too much oil to overcompensate, trap?

I hate to say it, but I'm old so I can...you may find that it's gets better in a couple of years.

The problem is that I always hear that the common thing is an oily t-zone (chin, forehead, nose) and dry everywhere else, but with me it's everywhere at the same time - can't win

I'm very basic in my washing routine. Warm water, occasionally some oatmeal with warm water. It cleans well enough, but doesn't moisturize much - but all moisturizers so far have only made my skin more oily or didn't help at all :/

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
#4 Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

Make sure your moisturizer is oil-free. Surprisingly, some moisturizers contain ingredients that can clog your pores.

Also, you might try steaming your face once or twice a week. My boyfriend does it, he puts lemon slices and tea tree oil in the water and leans over the bowl of boiling hot water with a towel over his head for about 4 minutes. It does wonders for his skin (and that is saying something because he's a major fuss-pot).
#5 Old 05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Beginner

So far I've tried several moisturizers by LUSH because I love them and they're mostly vegan, but they are often on the basis of almond oil and such - think I'll have to switch!

And steaming sounds like a great idea! I'll give that a try. Is there anything besides tea tree oil I can use? I'm a little short of money right now and I wouldn't know where to organise it :/ Camomile perhaps?

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
#6 Old 05-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

So far I've tried several moisturizers by LUSH because I love them and they're mostly vegan, but they are often on the basis of almond oil and such - think I'll have to switch!

And steaming sounds like a great idea! I'll give that a try. Is there anything besides tea tree oil I can use? I'm a little short of money right now and I wouldn't know where to organise it :/ Camomile perhaps?

Nah, you can just use clear water, then. After you've steamed, use a fresh facecloth and gently dry your skin. Splash your face with cool (as cold as you can handle) water to close up your pores. Never *rub* your skin dry, always pat dry!
#7 Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Kjesta, you are not alone. I too wish to file a complaint about the abysmal state of my skin. I think perhaps we should consider our own support group

All that you held most dear you will put by
And leave behind you; and this is the arrow
The longbow of your exile first lets fly
~ Dante's Paradiso
#8 Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Beginner

I also have combination skin and I use baking soda + water paste (cleans and exfoliates dead/dry skin) or Dr. Bronner's to wash and then use a witch hazel toner. I found other types of soaps really dried my skin out, lotions made me extremely oily and caused more breakouts as well. Using no lotion and avoiding drying soaps seems to work best for me. Sometimes I use a bit of cornstarch over my makeup as a powder if I'm going to be out of the house for a while because it absorbs the excess oils really well. Makeup powders didn't work for me, I was oily again within an hour or two. Cornstarch keeps me looking matte for much longer. For foundation, I use a mineral powder (Everyday Minerals) that was recommended to me by a VBer because liquid made me feel oily. They offer free samples of their foundations but I'm not sure if they ship to your area. My skin isn't perfect but it's much improved. The steaming technique sounds great, I'll have to try that.

Good luck to you, Kjesta, hope you find a method that works better for you!

When you're going through hell, keep going.
#9 Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

deleted
#10 Old 05-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Beginner

Here is what works for me (my skin is similar to yours):

Nothing. Once I stopped with the scrubbing and the slathering, my skin got better.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#11 Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Here is what works for me (my skin is similar to yours):

Nothing. Once I stopped with the scrubbing and the slathering, my skin got better.

Yeah I'm definitely guilty of getting frustrated with my skin and going overboard with products...scrubbing my face with harsh cleansers, applying topical ointment, etc.
Now I just wash with a bar of unscented soap, and apply coconut oil as a moisturizer...okay, I'm still guilty of over-applying topical ointment, but I'm trying
#12 Old 05-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

Yeah I'm definitely guilty of getting frustrated with my skin and going overboard with products...scrubbing my face with harsh cleansers, applying topical ointment, etc.
Now I just wash with a bar of unscented soap, and apply coconut oil as a moisturizer...okay, I'm still guilty of over-applying topical ointment, but I'm trying

skin loves simplicity. It allows it to breathe and balance itself.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#13 Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Beginner

That's about what I've been doing in the past years. Since no moisturizers or scrubs ever really improved things I generally went the simple way of clear water because I don't have much money to spend on creams and washes and blah that won't help anyway.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
#14 Old 05-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Beginner

I went off the pill and my skin become oily with break outs every now and again! I feel your pain as it is horrible to have bad skin!

DO U GET ROOIBOS tea bugs in shops? You put bags in hot water and steam your face and afterwards put tea bags on your eyes! Rooibos very good for skin! Let me know if u don't get it will post you some.

Less is best!

I do find dairy and alcohol esp red wine makes it worse,

Found tissue salt Calc Sulph Homeoforce 3 that you take 3 times a day works very well.
#15 Old 05-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

deleted
#16 Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I was using few to no products until just a couple years ago, it my skin was horrible. I'm better now that I'm using products.
I'm just too oily, and my skin can't deal with it. (Same with my hair, going without shampoo is just a disaster.)

Oh I use products, just not a lot of them. But combination skin is very different from oily skin, and I understand why someone with just oily skin would use more products to control that.

I'm lucky with my hair, I only need to wash it every four days.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#17 Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Beginner

Is it possible to shrink pores?
#18 Old 06-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Is it possible to shrink pores?

No. Don't believe those advertisements for products that claim to do reduce pore size. It's genetic, just like the color of your eyes or hair.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#19 Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Beginner

I really hate my skin.

Had it under control for ages; it was lovely and clear etc etc. Went out last Saturday & drunk some alcohol (not even as much as usual) ...the next day I woke up with that feeling of spots under the skin. Now I have a terribly cold and horrible spots, I get them around my mouth!?! And they get really, really sore. So ugly. PLUS i'm going on holiday very soon & now my face looks gross. Sigh.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#20 Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

I really hate my skin.

Had it under control for ages; it was lovely and clear etc etc. Went out last Saturday & drunk some alcohol (not even as much as usual) ...the next day I woke up with that feeling of spots under the skin. Now I have a terribly cold and horrible spots, I get them around my mouth!?! And they get really, really sore. So ugly. PLUS i'm going on holiday very soon & now my face looks gross. Sigh.

For me the alcohol would've been the trigger for the acne. I have some weird alcohol allergy. Just a few sips and I will develop hive like cysts on my face. Have you noticed that you seem to break out after you drink?
#21 Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Beginner

Yup, I really do. Never thought that it could be an allergy though! Hmmmm, interesting.

Oh that sounds horrible . Cut down on the alcohol for us then.

#22 Old 06-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Beginner

^You should keep a log/diary type book and record everytime you break out and list what foods/drinks you had. This way you could see if your acne is triggered by things in your diet.

I'm not a drinker at all so it's not a loss for me not to drink. I was never really into it. I would just have a few sips here and there or maybe half a mixed drink or something but haven't touched the stuff in years now. I also always felt bloated and crampy from the little amount I would have so yeah more reason to ditch the stuff.
#23 Old 06-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Well shoot, maybe that's why my skin is bad I drink every weekend.
#24 Old 07-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

^You should keep a log/diary type book and record everytime you break out and list what foods/drinks you had. This way you could see if your acne is triggered by things in your diet.

I'm not a drinker at all so it's not a loss for me not to drink. I was never really into it. I would just have a few sips here and there or maybe half a mixed drink or something but haven't touched the stuff in years now. I also always felt bloated and crampy from the little amount I would have so yeah more reason to ditch the stuff.

That's such a good idea. Oh, that ok then. Unfortunately I drink quite often & also I'm going on holiday next week which will involve alcohol, every day.... BUT I have cut down a lot in the last year or so and I might cut down even more after this hol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

Well shoot, maybe that's why my skin is bad I drink every weekend.

Whoops.

#25 Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Beginner

My skin is horrible
It makes me want to rip my face off.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#26 Old 07-01-2011, 03:50 AM
Beginner

Any of you that aren't vegan could try washing with organic honey, and i hear agave nectar is a substitute for honey, so the vegans could try that, but i can't say whether that will work or not. But i use honey with brown sugar, i recently added a little lemon juice and a drop of tea tree oil, it makes it not so dry afterward. As a moisturizer i use aloe very gel with a drop or two of tea tree oil, it works wonderfully. Aloe vera is supposed to be very good for smoothing out complexion and getting rid of spots, i was using olive oil at first, putting it on for five minutes, and rinsing/wiping it off, but it didn't work well enough, and of course it's oil lol. I've been using all natural products for a month now, i keep changing things for all my cleaning supplies, but i think i've got it down good now, especially the face wash and moisturizer.
#27 Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Beginner

I had wonderful skin through my teens and the last couple of years, but this morning I woke up and got a shock when I looked in the mirror - half of my face is covered in tiny red pimples! My cheekbones are slightly puffy too. When combined with the dark circles under my eyes from insomnia, I looked about 60 years old - which is not good for a 21 year old!
What can I do? It looks almost like a mild allergic reaction, except there's no pain and I don't think I've been exposed to anything new that could cause a reaction.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#28 Old 07-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Beginner

^Did you eat or drink anything different recently? Are there any medications you started recently taking?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page