Abdominal pain/discomfort? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Beginner

I've been vegetarian for 5 months, vegan for 2.5.

I started having abdominal pain, mostly on the right side, but also on the left, for 5 days now. It's intermittent, and very mild, a 1/10 on the pain scale. I've already gone to the doctor, and they're going to run a blood test. I've had...I can't find the spoiler tags. Um, somewhat different bowels, but no blood in them.

Have any of you experienced this? Could it be from veg*nism?

Disclaimer: I'm insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Banned

Doubt its from eating vegan unless you are eating an unbalanced diet, but that goes for eating vegetarian and omni too.

What kinds of foods do you eat in a regular day?

When you say your bowel movements have been different, what do you mean? Are they more frequent, less frequent, consistency changed, color changed?

Vegan diets tends to have more fiber and that's good because it makes for optimal digestion, as long as you drink enough water and eat a balanced diet.
#3 Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Beginner

What did the doctor say?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#4 Old 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

sounds like it's possibly viral/bacterial to me, given that it's diffuse. it's got nothing to do with veganism. it wouldn't hurt you to be taking a probiotic, in case it's something to do with your intestinal flora.
#5 Old 04-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Beginner

The doctor said "I have no idea" and told me to come back for a blood test to check for liver/kidney problems.

As for the bowels, they're more frequent, twice a day rather than once, softer but still formed, and slightly green.

My diet is well (pretty sure anyway) balanced. I mostly eat fruit, veggies, rice, beans, bread, and nuts.

#6 Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

Your diet sounds balanced, so I doubt it's veganism. Hopefully it passes, when are you going for the blood work?
#7 Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Beginner

Thursday. She thinks it "may" be my liver. I certainly hope not. I would much rather it be intestinal, as liver problems tend to end badly, or shave decades off of ones life.

#8 Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Beginner

I had a similar problem years ago, but I was a meat-eater at the time.

I would describe the pain as sharp, stabbing, like something were poking my insides with a toothpick. The pain was over as quickly as it began. I'd put it as a 3 on the 10 point pain scale, only because I couldn't help but gasp out loud, even going halfway to the floor in pain.

Then, .5 seconds later, and its gone... like nothing happened

After a few tests, it was called "intestinal spasms."
Basically, something made the smooth muscles and nerve endings in in intestines get upset, and they contracted, or cramped up.

The problem is a lot less severe since I went vegan.

I makes sense that any major change in diet could cause this. Your poo is a lot different now after a lifetime of eating habits.

My non-medical-qualified advise is to relax. Its good that your doc is checking everything out, and not making assumptions. But, I feel the odds are in your favor that your body is just freaking out a bit. Your intestines have done things a certain way your whole life, and now you're asking them to change.

Get your tests done to make sure, but I'm sure you're fine.

And get used to pooping more often!

Attachment 15265
LL

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#9 Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obankobi View Post

Thursday. She thinks it "may" be my liver. I certainly hope not. I would much rather it be intestinal, as liver problems tend to end badly, or shave decades off of ones life.

is she just doing metabolic panels and liver function tests or are you also getting a scan?
#10 Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Beginner

Thanks Hazelnut, you made me feel a bit better.
Do you really poop more as a vegan? Now that I think of it, I have had days where I go more than once. How strange...

Just blood, no scans yet. I imagine if something suspicious comes up on the blood test, or the pain get worse, she'll send me for scans. If nothing shows up on the scans I'll probably ask for a scan, just to be safe.

The pain hasn't increased, or decreased at all. That makes me think my organs are not exploding. I'm 80% sure it's intestinal, possibly a bacterial infection of some sort. The other 20% who knows, I'm not a doctor, and am mostly guessing.

#11 Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Beginner

Is there a certain new food that you have recently started eating?
#12 Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Beginner

I did try a different brand of hummus, but I haven't had any in days. I also started taking Deva, but stopped that as well to eliminate it as the culprit.

#13 Old 04-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Beginner

Did you go for your bloodwork on Thursday? How have you been feeling?
#14 Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Just on the pooping more thing you asked, it would likely be because on a vegan diet, you're likely eating more fiber.
#15 Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Beginner

Could you have any food intolerance? I used to suffer from frequent stomach distress,including often having abdominal cramping. Was tested for Celiac but tested negative. Was desperate to get rid of the pain and decided to go gluten free and see if it helped. Was feeling much better within a week and have been gluten free ever since!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page