Attention Deficit Disorder and Vegan Diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Beginner

Hey all,

I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid and have been mainly controlling with medication. I have been on a vegan diet now for a year, which I think has drastically improved my health (I ate a lot of junk before, now eating much more balanced and non-processed food). Over the last six months my ADD symptoms have been getting noticibly worse: memory problems (periods where I have blacked out the memory all together), temper, not finishing work, missed appointments, overall no focus.

I really think it is mainly do to stress. My work stress and home stress has been high and know that can make ADD symptoms heighten. My friends and family though are immediately pointing the finger at me being vegan and say I should start eating meat and dairy again.

Does anyone know where I can get more information on this? I know very little about the link between ADD and diet and I am sure there are connections. If I am deficient in nutrients that are cause my ADD to get worse, I want to look into a vegan source to correct the problem.

Would appreciate any info or source I can look into for advice. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Covered in Waves

http://www.oneaddplace.com/add-diet.php
http://newideas.net/adhd/adhd-diet
http://www.phosadd.com/diet/diet.htm

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.”
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
#3 Old 04-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Beginner

Sugar makes it worse.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#4 Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Banned

Yes, I agree that sugar makes it worse. Actually many studies have found that in childhood one can reverse ADD easily if parent eliminate sugars, sodas, refined foods from child's menu. All these sugars and chemical substances messes up the proper brain functioning.

You might be experiencing detox. Make sure to eat a lot of greens and drink plenty of purified water. Yoga and other physical-mental techniques would be helpful.

Help your liver to detox. I have many holistic health tips and my own experience, you can visit my site form my profile. It is too long to write here.

Don't get discouraged!
#5 Old 04-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Beginner

When I eliminate sugar from my diet, my ADHD dramatically improves. But I do feel withdrawal symptoms.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#6 Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Beginner

What you mention is just just poisons coming out of your body. I have headaches and back pains. But after these pains, I know that I will feel much better. I have been hurtin for a few years but it's poisons coming out of your body.

Are you having spasms? If you are, this and stress wil make your stress levels go crazy. Know that health is wealth. Take time off. Also eliminate soy based products because they are inflammatory. Reduce consumption of nuts.

To manage these detox, exercise.  Keep warm. Do Earthing (you can google it). Meditate. And know that food are not supposed to be eaten raw unless you have a strong constituency. It's supposed to be cooked and warmed with ginger. .

And breath. Breath deeply. Because of computers and smart phones, people's energies are distracted and there is a overuse of the brain. And they forget the breath.

#7 Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Beginner

Omega 6 fatty acids from whole foods like nuts and seeds increase attention by increasing the number of neurons in the brain. However processed seed oils cause inflammation.

My hypothesis has been that using technology excessively causes ADD/ADHD. As in ADD/ADHD being a symptom of technology addiction.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page