Ways to shave without a razor (or waxing) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Beginner

I went to the doctor because I had something on my legs. Apparently it's called foliculitis(sp?), and it comes from shaving with a razor. She told me to stop shaving with a razor, and to not wear such tight clothing and it should heal. Unfortunately the scarring will go away in about a year (blargh).

What are other ways to get rid of leg hair besides shaving or waxing? The reason I say no waxing is because I'm a wimp, and I've only had my eyebrows waxed-that was painful enough for me.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Beginner

You could try hair removal creams, you may have to wait untill your issue has cleared up as they can be very harsh on the skin! Or get an Epilator.
#3 Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Beginner

I've never heard of an Epilator, what is it?

#4 Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Beginner

#5 Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Beginner

Or you could just let it grow.
#6 Old 02-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Beginner

You could try smooth away, if you haven't heard of it, its this thing:

But then again, infomercial products usually wear out quite fast.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#7 Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

You could try smooth away, if you haven't heard of it, its this thing:

But then again, infomercial products usually wear out quite fast.

My friend gave me that. I have very fine hair and it doesn't work for me -- at all. Maybe it works better for others, though!

LilBigBug, in my own experience, for what it's worth, eyebrow waxing hurts waaaay more than leg waxing. Actually, last time I got my legs waxed, I fell asleep.
#8 Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by googoogirl View Post

basically a twee-zing machine http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002TOJT2...SIN=B002TOJT2A

The difference between this and waxing depends on whether you like to pull off a bandage slowly or rip it off all at once. (I once had a girlfriend who would "experiment" on me, so I've tried both)

Also, there are home electroloysis devices that zap each follicle with a tiny amount of electricity. It takes a long time but lasts longer.
#9 Old 02-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

My friend gave me that. I have very fine hair and it doesn't work for me -- at all. Maybe it works better for others, though!

Yeah it didn't work for me either. Plus it gave me burns all over my legs. Maybe sugaring would be an alternative for you?
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/anc...-sugaring.html
#10 Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

Or you could just let it grow.

No. I wear a lot of shorter skirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

LilBigBug, in my own experience, for what it's worth, eyebrow waxing hurts waaaay more than leg waxing. Actually, last time I got my legs waxed, I fell asleep.

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Yeah it didn't work for me either. Plus it gave me burns all over my legs. Maybe sugaring would be an alternative for you?
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/anc...-sugaring.html

Hmm, I may have to try that.

#11 Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

Really?

#12 Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Beginner

sugaring is supposed to be better than waxing because the stuff sticks to the hair but not to your skin. the reason waxing hurts so much is that wax sticks to your skin and rips off the outer layer of skin along with the hair. yowch.
i've tried Nad's which is a sugaring type product. it worked so-so. it still hurts a bit but it's tolerable. it's not as expensive as it used to be either. the downside with sugaring and waxing (and epillators i think too) is you have to let your hair grow out a bit for it to work so you have to deal with the sasquatch look for a little while.

the epillator thing sucks. at least the one i have. it's like a dozen little tweezers yanking your hairs out one at a time. IMO it hurts more than sugaring and going around parts of your leg where the skin is looser like around the knees sometimes it pinches skin and that hurts. i also found when i tried that it left big red bumps behind but i didn't really have that problem with the sugaring.
i'd like to try smooth away but i just can't figure out why it's supposed to work and suspect that it might be a waste of money. so i'll hold off until i hear a real person say it works lol.

the cremes work well but you risk chemical burns and good luck finding one that is remotely cruelty free. this is the sort of product that probably goes through a TON of animal testing before it's deemed safe for humans.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#13 Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Beginner

I think most any of these methods will irritate folliculitis. Basically, exfoliating and moisturizing is the best way to deal with this (after other actions have been taken as needed such as antibiotic or anti inflammatory creams etc).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#14 Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Beginner

She never gave me antibiotics, as it's now starting to clear up...

#15 Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Waxing on legs hurts way less than eyebrows. I still have to get my eyebrows done professionally because I'm too much of a wimp to wax them myself. My legs I can do no problem
#16 Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Beginner

I took my daughter to get her legs waxed, I had a gift certificate. She said it was the MOST painful thing she had ever experienced! Poor thing. I don;t feel pain to any big extent with eyebrows. Legs, it can take some getting used to!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#17 Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Beginner

i've actually been wondering if i have an infected follicle, the last couple weeks i have a red bump on my calf. but that one hair is way way thicker and coarser than usual. i figured i better tweeze it but i couldn't get a good enough grip on it and just seem to have irritated it more lol. and now it looks as if there will be a huge hole left behind if i do pull the hair so i'm afraid to touch it. it's not really bothering me, just once in a while i feel my pant leg or bedsheets catching on it otherwise it's fine. since i poked at it it keeps scabbing over which makes me worry about getting an ingrown hair so i just try to keep it clear and give the hair a chance to grow out enough that i can yank it. i'm a wimp though so i'm probably going to wait til whenever i make a doctor's appointment in the near future and have him do it lol. just keeping an eye on it in the meantime, if it looks overly inflamed or anything i'll make an appointment asap, i need to go in soon anyways for a checkup so no biggy

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#18 Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I think most any of these methods will irritate folliculitis. Basically, exfoliating and moisturizing is the best way to deal with this (after other actions have been taken as needed such as antibiotic or anti inflammatory creams etc).

That's what I was thinking, I haven't had experience of this, but if you shouldn't shave you probally shouldn't use powerful creams, or try to rubthe hair off your skin either, or it might irritate. I think if you're going to try any of this you should check with your doctor it wont irritate it at all. I don't know how long it'd take to clear up, but maybe wear tights/stockings or just trousers for a while untill your skin problems cleared up - if your doc says not to.

Oh and just FYI I think leg waxing only hurts if you're doing it wrong. Well, it's only hurt me when I;ve been doing it wrong anyway! The hair needs to be the right length, if it's too long it'll hurt more. This is why men always scream when they get waxed for charity - because they usually don't trim the hair first!
#19 Old 02-02-2011, 04:29 AM
Beginner

I've been waxing and using an epilator for almost 20 years now, and I don't like shaving at all. It does hurt a bit, but it's very manageable and also quick. I haven't had any experience with folliculitis, so I don't know which methods are recommended. I hope it clears up soon!
#20 Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

That's what I was thinking, I haven't had experience of this, but if you shouldn't shave you probally shouldn't use powerful creams, or try to rubthe hair off your skin either, or it might irritate. I think if you're going to try any of this you should check with your doctor it wont irritate it at all. I don't know how long it'd take to clear up, but maybe wear tights/stockings or just trousers for a while untill your skin problems cleared up - if your doc says not to.

Oh and just FYI I think leg waxing only hurts if you're doing it wrong. Well, it's only hurt me when I;ve been doing it wrong anyway! The hair needs to be the right length, if it's too long it'll hurt more. This is why men always scream when they get waxed for charity - because they usually don't trim the hair first!

I'm not supposed to wear tight clothing, she recommended dresses/skirts.

#21 Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Beginner

^ Ah I see, maybe some long ones then if the hair removals aren't ok either!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page