How to get Caffeine out of my body? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Beginner

I neeeeed sleep.

I thought my lack of sleep might be related to caffeine consumption.
(Average of 3 cups of tea per day, one can of coke, and some chocolate?). (Been doing this for about 2 weeks?)

Is there anyway I can hurry up the process of de-caffeinating myself? Can I flush it out of my system or consume more calcium or something? I'd really like to fall asleep when I go to bed tonight... its 2.30pm here... I have about 9 hours to work on this....

Advice appreciated.

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Beginner

I have found myself in this situation several times, and all of my Internet research has yielded no luck. I think the best thing you can do is just drink lots of water and wait it out.
#3 Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Beginner

Best bet is to just quit consuming those things and wait for it to come out on it's own I think.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#4 Old 10-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Beginner

You just have to wait it out. Blahh. When you're getting off it for awhile you will be very sleepy. -___-

"A good deed done to an animal is like a good deed done to a human being, while an act of cruelty to an animal is as bad as cruelty to a human being."
- Muhammad (PBUH)
#5 Old 10-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Beginner

How long does it take to become "decaffinated?"

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, think, and speak as you...
#6 Old 10-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Beginner

If I recall correctly, about 16 hours, similar to alcohol.
#7 Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Beginner

Excellent, thank you!

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, think, and speak as you...
#8 Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Beginner

16 hours Thats a long time to not fall asleep.

I'm losing hope that it is the caffeine that is causing this. I'm very tired but can't sleep. You'd think your brain would be able to override the effects of caffeine when you get to a certain point of exhaustion? And tea doesn't have near as much caffeine as some other foods/drinks...

Ok, well here's to hoping that tonight I can fall asleep, or that tomorrow goes better.
(And thanks for the replies!)

#9 Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Beginner

It takes different amounts of time for different people. For instance, there's some evidence that in women on BC pills, caffeine has a longer half-life. It depends on how much caffeine you've taken in as well. Usually when I find myself over-caffeinated, it takes 5-6 hours.
#10 Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Beginner

Are you sure it's the caffeine? Other causes could be eating too late or right before bed. It could also be erratic sleep patterns. The best thing to do is to go to sleep and wake up at the same time. Also don't eat or drink right before bed as that can cause you to have a hard time getting to sleep. -Bella Vega, Golden Rule

Bella Vega, Golden Rule
#11 Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Beginner

try to do something really really boring.

it's weird for me because caffeine hardly keeps me up during the day at work. and then at night i'm fully alert and can't sleep. probably a state of mind thing.
#12 Old 10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Usually when I find myself over-caffeinated, it takes 5-6 hours.

5-6 hours to get caffeine out of your body? Or 5-6 hours to fall asleep? (I'm thinking the former).
And i'm not on BC pills.

I think my lack of sleep is probably due to stress- big exams in 3 weeks.
I'm taking sleeping pills now (eek!). But before, I would not fall sleep until about 4.30-5.30am and wake up around 7 or 7.30am. That had gone on for about 10 days. And i wasn't able to study and was very over tired and got very bad headaches. So now I'm just taking sleeping pills.
I hope this will fix itself after exams.
(I have increased my caffeine intake during study, so I thought it might be related, but have now cut caffeine out of my diet apart from 1 cup of tea in the morning).

How long does it take most normal people to fall asleep?

#13 Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Beginner

5-6 hours to get caffeine out of my body, to a point where I can go to sleep.
#14 Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Beginner

Hhhmm. Ok, thanks.

*Continues to avoid coke* Oh Coke zero, I miss you so much

#15 Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegangreenhorn View Post

try to do something really really boring.

Does chemistry count? Maybe I'm overbored? Hah.

#16 Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday_12 View Post

Hhhmm. Ok, thanks.

*Continues to avoid coke* Oh Coke zero, I miss you so much

Maybe you should just make a point not to intake any caffeine after a certain point in the day. Like, six hours before you plan to go to bed (or however long you determine it takes you to come down off the caffeine.) That's what I do.
#17 Old 10-15-2010, 04:34 AM
Beginner

Hmm..instead of sleeping pills have you tried melatonin? Or even "sleepy time" tea? Sleeping pills can become very habit forming. I'd ditch the caffeine all together. Also make sure to make sure to be eating really well. although. I know that it's somewhat hard to do during stressful situations but it will keep your energy up during the day. Good luck. Insomnia sucks.
#18 Old 10-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of trying melatonin. Because the doctor was a bit hard on me and only gave me 6 tablets, which isn't really going to carry me through to exams.
I haven't had caffeine in 3 days and last night I was still awake by 3.30am at which point I took a sleeping pill. Which meant I fell asleep by 4.30am and so now I have another very tired day of studying

I've been really good with my diet. Better than usual actually, so I'm pretty sure its not diet related. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it is stress related and just general insomnia. And going on my previous **** mental health, I don't think there's much that will fix it other than hard drugs.

(Ha, I've even tried to knock myself out using spirits on several occasions the last few weeks, which failed! Normally alcohol makes me pass out/fall asleep pretty easily!).

#19 Old 10-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Beginner

Something to remember: Caffeine is a drug. So is nicotine, alcohol, and crack.

Just because a drug is legalized and popularized doesn't mean that you should act irresponsibly with it. I feel too many people gloss over the fact that they are drug addicts who are addicted to either caffeine or nicotine. We hear about alcohol and crack addictions, but rarely is caffeine given the stigma that the other drugs carry. I like to follow my mother's advice, 'all things in moderation'.

There is no reason that you can't have a cup of coffee from time to time, but you should avoid making it part of your habits if you are concerned about your health. Try to think of the way you feel about crack addicts and relate that same disgust on those who smoke or drink coffee in excess. Personally, I've been thinking this way for a while and it is amazing to see how many people are opposed to this as it makes them look bad. No one wants to be thought of as a drug addict, but let's face it, if you *need* a cup of coffee to start your day and *need* a cup when you get that afternoon lull, then you probably have a problem that you are ignoring.

Myself, I loved drinking coffee. I had 12 cups in one sitting before and man was I wired. Unfortunately for me, I realized that I was sensitive, intolerant, or allergic to caffeine. I began suffering heart palpitations which eventually brought on full anxiety and panic attacks. I suffered for years as a result, costing me trips to the emergency room convinced my heart was about to stop. I had to give it up entirely.

Now, if I dare have any caffeine, my body reacts strongly. Just a small dose can trigger an anxiety attack. I was at Planet Hollywood (a themed restaurant) and ordered one of their signature drinks. I asked prior to ordering if there was any caffeine and explained that I can not have caffeine to the waiter. Well, during the meal, I started to feel odd. I knew something was wrong and flagged down the waiter. I explained what I was feeling and asked him to check again what was in the drink. I was pacing around at this point in utter discomfort and he confirmed that there was Sun Drop (like Mountain Dew) in the drink. I was livid, but had no choice but to ride it out. They dosed me with a drug and I was suffering for it. I wound up having to pace for about an hour outside until I felt a little okay enough to get in to a car.

If I ever want to feel sleepy, I find a large and filling meal does me in. Indian food with a dairy/cream based sauce kills me so pleasurably. Malai Kofta at any time of day makes me feel like a nap is necessary. I often joke that there should be a nap room with cots at the restaurant. This might not work for some, as some have weight issues, but I have a super high motabalism and can't gain weight.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#20 Old 10-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitof99 View Post

Unfortunately for me, I realized that I was sensitive, intolerant, or allergic to caffeine. I began suffering heart palpitations which eventually brought on full anxiety and panic attacks. I suffered for years as a result, costing me trips to the emergency room convinced my heart was about to stop. I had to give it up entirely.

Now, if I dare have any caffeine, my body reacts strongly. Just a small dose can trigger an anxiety attack. I was at Planet Hollywood (a themed restaurant) and ordered one of their signature drinks. I asked prior to ordering if there was any caffeine and explained that I can not have caffeine to the waiter. Well, during the meal, I started to feel odd. I knew something was wrong and flagged down the waiter. I explained what I was feeling and asked him to check again what was in the drink. I was pacing around at this point in utter discomfort and he confirmed that there was Sun Drop (like Mountain Dew) in the drink. I was livid, but had no choice but to ride it out. They dosed me with a drug and I was suffering for it. I wound up having to pace for about an hour outside until I felt a little okay enough to get in to a car.

I have the same reactions to caffiene. The heart palpations and anxiety attacks are awful. I'm sorry to hear about your restaurant experience. I've endured similar experiences in the past as well.
#21 Old 10-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I have the same reactions to caffiene. The heart palpations and anxiety attacks are awful. I'm sorry to hear about your restaurant experience. I've endured similar experiences in the past as well.

Thanks, but fortunately, I've realized over the years that time will take care of the problem at hand when anxiety strikes. I just means that I need to wait it out. A friend of mine (who was studying to be a psychologist) had anxiety issues too. She suggested bringing in for 5 seconds, holding for 5 seconds, and exhaling for 5 seconds. It does help.

I know how bad anxiety can be, so I do wish you well too fadeaway.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#22 Old 10-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitof99 View Post

Something to remember: Caffeine is a drug. So is nicotine, alcohol, and crack.

There is no reason that you can't have a cup of coffee from time to time, but you should avoid making it part of your habits if you are concerned about your health. Try to think of the way you feel about crack addicts and relate that same disgust on those who smoke or drink coffee in excess. Personally, I've been thinking this way for a while and it is amazing to see how many people are opposed to this as it makes them look bad. No one wants to be thought of as a drug addict, but let's face it, if you *need* a cup of coffee to start your day and *need* a cup when you get that afternoon lull, then you probably have a problem that you are ignoring.

Thanks for the viewpoints, but I don't drink coffee, and the tea I drink is a mixture of herbal and black teas.
Since the original post i have stopped drinking soft drinks.
I do not think I am a caffeine addict or that I get too much caffeine in my diet. Just thought that I would try and eliminate it in case it was contributing to sleep-less-ness.

Big indian meal sounds good

#23 Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday_12 View Post

Thanks for the viewpoints, but I don't drink coffee, and the tea I drink is a mixture of herbal and black teas.
Since the original post i have stopped drinking soft drinks.
I do not think I am a caffeine addict or that I get too much caffeine in my diet. Just thought that I would try and eliminate it in case it was contributing to sleep-less-ness.

Big indian meal sounds good

No problem. It might help to do a little reading on the chemicals in tea. Tea has caffeine, but it also has theanine and trace amounts of theobromine (found in chocolate) and theophylline.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophylline

Contrary to popular belief, there isn't any caffeine in chocolate. It contains theobromine which share much of the same molecular make up as caffeine, but isn't the same. For myself, although I'm sensitive to caffeine (can't have any), I can have chocolate as theobromine doesn't bother me body as much. If I eat too much dark chocolate, I get some of the symptoms similar to having a couple sips of a caffeinated drink. There are trace amounts of caffeine found in the husks of coaco beans, but they are discarded and not used in making chocolate. This also explains why dark chocolate can be considered healthy where caffeine is considered dangerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine

The science invovled is fastenating, all the effects of these drugs and alkaloids.

#24 Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Banned

Watching the movie Paranormal Activity bored me so much I feel sleepy just reminiscing about it. So not scary. LOL

But seriously, I have the same issues with caffeine hyper-sensitivity--if I drink tea after 6pm, no sleep until 4am. Best choice is to avoid after a certain hour. Don't try to flush it out late at night by drinking gallons of water, because then having to pee will keep you up instead! Drugs are not good, but when I take two Tylenol, they seem to have a sedative effect and I sleep within 20 minutes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page