Misophonia - The Hatred of Sounds - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Beginner

For as long as I can remember, I've had an intense hatred of sounds made by noisy eaters. I've fantasized ripping the jaws off of those that make these grotesque sounds and that torture me with them. Obviously, I've recognized that the problem was mine, and that the noisy people (who are many) are not at fault.

This has caused serious problems for me in regard to family, friends, and girlfriends. It has caused so much grief in my life that I too, like many that suffer this, have wished to be deaf at times to avoid the anguish.

I can not stress enough how much it affects me. I've tried in the past using rational understanding to retrain myself, but it didn't change anything. I think the only time that I'm not affected so much is when I'm drunk, which isn't often at all.

This guy in the video below describes exactly how it has been for me. I'm am extremely satisfied that I found that this is an actual condition and not just me being insane. This helps so much to know that I am not alone, even if there isn't a 'cure'. I really doubt anything could 'cure' this anyway.

I leave the room when people eat. If someone watches a movie and begins to make noises, I have to leave. If an actor makes noises, I have to mute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIhoEtlgiyI

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Beginner

I can deal with all but the worst eating-sounds offenders.

BUT... what I CANNOT deal with is that "click" some people have in their jaw. Do you know what I'm talking about? I become instantly nauseated. I can't eat, I can barely sit still, I want nothing more than to throttle that person into jaw-silence. It takes every ounce of my self control not to scream.

It's actually ruined numerous holidays for me, because while no one in my immediate family has a jaw-click, a couple people in my extended family do. It makes me angry, full of rage, and physically ill.

I wouldn't be able to stay sane in a relationship with someone who had a clicking jaw, I can't imagine how it would be to feel this for ALL eating noises. I feel for you, man.
#3 Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Beginner

Now I don't feel so weird for absolutely HATING the sound of Velcro. It literally makes me shudder when I hear it.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#4 Old 09-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Beginner

I think you should see somebody about it, and let them know from the beginning that you have a very rare problem. There's no reason to simply live with it and not try to get help, you've got nothing to lose.

I went and read about misophonia a little bit out of curiosity. Apparently there is what they call a "bilateral white noise generator" which you're able to use, I guess it's like the thing that they give to people with severe tinnitus. You wear it in your ear and it just generates constant white noise, which is supposed to distract from those noises which aggravate you.
#5 Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I can deal with all but the worst eating-sounds offenders.

BUT... what I CANNOT deal with is that "click" some people have in their jaw. Do you know what I'm talking about? I become instantly nauseated. I can't eat, I can barely sit still, I want nothing more than to throttle that person into jaw-silence. It takes every ounce of my self control not to scream.

It's actually ruined numerous holidays for me, because while no one in my immediate family has a jaw-click, a couple people in my extended family do. It makes me angry, full of rage, and physically ill.

I wouldn't be able to stay sane in a relationship with someone who had a clicking jaw, I can't imagine how it would be to feel this for ALL eating noises. I feel for you, man.

I'm not sure what the clicking sound is, maybe from TMJ? I can pop my jaw out of socket, maybe that is the sound?

If you feel real rage and anguish from these sounds, perhaps you too have this condition. It isn't merely thinking it is annoying, it is far worse. It is something that causes you to leave the room. It is something that forces to you to find ways to avoid situations. It is something that makes you envision harming others.

From what you described, you sound like might have it too, but I don't know how seriously it affects your life.

Thanks for feeling for me, I feel for you too with your jaw popping. It is an unbelievable day to have found this information.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#6 Old 09-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Beginner

I'd say I'm Level 7 from this site:
Quote:
Sufferer may re-imagine the trigger sound and visual cues over and over again, sometimes for weeks, months or even years after the event.

http://www.misophonia-uk.org/the-mis...ion-scale.html

#7 Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Beginner

You may not want kids. They make unbelievable sounds, both intentionally, and naturally. The sounds of a toddler and a sippy cup are chilling...
#8 Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

You may not want kids. They make unbelievable sounds, both intentionally, and naturally. The sounds of a toddler and a sippy cup are chilling...

I have considered this. I don't think I will have children, but mostly because of my age and the lack of a spouse!

Honestly, I have worried that I may be too harsh of a father because of my problems. I don't want to ruin a child by being 'insane' to them.

#9 Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 PM
That doggie in the window

Ah, but what sort of sounds do YOU make, when you eat? Has it occurred to you, your noises may be just as disgusting to others, as their's are to you? Have you really listened to yourself? Perhaps you should look for the sounds you share in common with others, rather than the differences. You might even try inventing some new, unique sounds of your own, to see if you can pique their interest.

Also, whenever this happens, you might try conversation, as a distraction.

Just some ideas...

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"....The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
" .... " -Harpo Marx

#10 Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Ah, but what sort of sounds do YOU make, when you eat? Has it occurred to you, your noises may be just as disgusting to others, as their's are to you? Have you really listened to yourself? Perhaps you should look for the sounds you share in common with others, rather than the differences. You might even try inventing some new, unique sounds of your own, to see if you can pique their interest.

Also, whenever this happens, you might try conversation, as a distraction.

Just some ideas...

It doesn't work that way. This is a lot more serious than just doing something differently. Since it has been recognized by the medical community only recently (80s), there is very little in terms of treatment. From what I've read today, some call it a 'very rare' condition.

And for the record, I refuse to make any sounds when eating. I never smack or slurp. I open my mouth just enough to insert food, and close my mouth before chewing. I never chew ice, and don't understand why anyone would. I get concerned, though, when eating anything crunchy like chips or pretzels.

#11 Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitof99 View Post

I'm not sure what the clicking sound is, maybe from TMJ? I can pop my jaw out of socket, maybe that is the sound?

If you feel real rage and anguish from these sounds, perhaps you too have this condition. It isn't merely thinking it is annoying, it is far worse. It is something that causes you to leave the room. It is something that forces to you to find ways to avoid situations. It is something that makes you envision harming others.

From what you described, you sound like might have it too, but I don't know how seriously it affects your life.

Thanks for feeling for me, I feel for you too with your jaw popping. It is an unbelievable day to have found this information.

I don't quite know what the sound is. It happens when people are eating. Some people have a click in their jaw when they chew. It's not the majority of people, or even very many in general. (At least that I've encountered.) But when I DO encounter someone making that noise, it's all I can concentrate on. I can't keep up conversation with other people, I can't do anything except fight the urge to become violent or scream at that person. My Godfather makes the noise, and eating with him is... Well, I really don't even want to talk about it now, because it's giving me chills. But I do avoid eating near him, or any situation that could cause me to be near him when he eats. I do fantasize about harming him when I hear it, even though I love him dearly.

I never realized some people have this feeling about other eating-sounds... Or even that there might be people who feel the way I do. I remember being younger and asking my family, "How do you do it? How do you sit there and eat while you can hear that noise?" No one seemed to mind except me. They could all tune it out.
#12 Old 09-14-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:

It doesn't work that way. This is a lot more serious than just doing something differently. Since it has been recognized by the medical community only recently (80s), there is very little in terms of treatment. From what I've read today, some call it a 'very rare' condition.

And for the record, I refuse to make any sounds when eating. I never smack or slurp. I open my mouth just enough to insert food, and close my mouth before chewing. I never chew ice, and don't understand why anyone would. I get concerned, though, when eating anything crunchy like chips or pretzels.

To be honest, a term that describes hatred of anything, as a medical condition, sounds bogus to me. Hatred is NOT a medical condition. You're suffering from a phobia. A fear.

When's the last time you had a thorough medical exam?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"....The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
" .... " -Harpo Marx

#13 Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:

To be honest, a term that describes hatred of anything, as a medical condition, sounds bogus to me. Hatred is NOT a medical condition. You're suffering from a phobia. A fear.

A phobia is a medical condition. A bizarre, irrational, disproportionate reaction to something can certainly qualify as a medical condition. No one said it was a PHYSICAL condition. Just a medical one. Mental issues are not exempt from the medical world, yanno.
#14 Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:

A phobia is a medical condition. A bizarre, irrational, disproportionate reaction to something can certainly qualify as a medical condition. No one said it was a PHYSICAL condition. Just a medical one. Mental issues are not exempt from the medical world, yanno.

Misophonia is literally, "hatred of sound." It was described this way by the OP, and other sources also use those terms to identify it. I don't want to argue semantics; I just want it clear what we're talking about. More appropriately, it is a sensitivity to sound. Whether someone with the condition reacts with feelings of hostility or uses some other avenue of- for want of a better word- escape, likely depends on the individual.

Behavior can be affected by a physical condition, especially one that goes undetected. Before consulting with shrinks, it might be wise to eliminate the possibility of an underlying physical condition. Sometimes the body tells us things in strange ways.

" .... " -Harpo Marx

#15 Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Beginner

It's nothing compared to the voices in my head.
#16 Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Beginner

I had a meeting with a woman I'd never met. After talking with her for about 10 minutes, I realized that she had an odd lisp or something wrong with her mouth, so that every word with an S sounded like a high pitched ssssss.
It annoyed me more than any sound I've ever heard. I began to resent her using words with an S in. I just wanted to say, "Shut up!". Of course I knew it wasn't her fault.
Several years later, I met another woman with the same problem, but our interaction time was much shorter, so it wasn't a big deal.

I'm bothered by noises a lot more some days, than others. If the person I've gone to the theater with eats popcorn, it doesn't bother me, but sometimes it really bothers me if a stranger near me eats popcorn. I try to go to movies after they've been out a while.
#17 Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I'd say I'm Level 7 from this site:

http://www.misophonia-uk.org/the-mis...ion-scale.html

I appear to be a level 4, which is bad enough. You have my pity.
#18 Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Beginner

This has me interested in whether visual disturbances has a disorder associated with it. Certain makeup, or hairstyles drive me so crazy I need to just leave. Women with the mascera "dots" over and under their eyes I need to tell them, to the point that if I don't get to, I'll go back to tell them. I try and come across as just trying to be helpful, but really I'm just PO'd. Guys esp. I've seen with huge blackheads in their ears. I want to scream. I've asked my docter to tell me if I do. I wonder about areas I can't see.

I too make a point of eating very quietly.
#19 Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:

So autism is a choice? This in in my mind a mental defect that allows this to occur. As in a physical problem with the brain that impairs normal function, not something that a small group of people decided was cool to suffer one day.

I've been drinking Chocovine and watching in a sleep depraved manner Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I'm not in my full faculties, but I do know that I am very capable of rational thought and have always considered this quirk an illogical part of me. Regardless it exists and it is real. It has nothing to do with fear and it is not a phobia. It is rage incited by an irrational thing. I don't expect you to understand this, but after living this way for 30 years and being somewhat normal otherwise, I do not take lightly your inference that this is bogus.

Try telling my now dead friend with Terret's Syndrome that he was faking it for the attention like our school teachers said, or that my schizophrenic friend was also pining for attention as friends that didn't better said. Please don't tell me that what I have suffered is bogus unless you are a doctor of neurology. I wouldn't have chosen to alienate myself in social settings or suffer what I did out of a fear. This is deeper than that.

#20 Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Beginner

I do not have misophonia, but I can sympathize with you because I do have hyperacusis. I find a lot of sounds, especially sudden and loud ones, to be paralyzing. Certain sounds in the higher frequency range (phone rings, alarms, bells) are difficult for me to tolerate, if not almost physically painful to endure. I also complain a lot about electronics making high-pitch noises that apparently most other people can't hear.

:c

EDIT: And, as many people who have hyperacusis do, I have tinnitus in both ears.
#21 Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

This has me interested in whether visual disturbances has a disorder associated with it. Certain makeup, or hairstyles drive me so crazy I need to just leave. Women with the mascera "dots" over and under their eyes I need to tell them, to the point that if I don't get to, I'll go back to tell them. I try and come across as just trying to be helpful, but really I'm just PO'd. Guys esp. I've seen with huge blackheads in their ears. I want to scream. I've asked my docter to tell me if I do. I wonder about areas I can't see.

I too make a point of eating very quietly.

I have a visual thing too, I hate one thing specifically with an illogical passion that is part of most peoples daily lives. I have in recent years labeled this as OCD.

Now some of this could be ADD or OCD related. I'm not sure if there is a connection between those and misophonia, but I have at best guessed that suffer from a form of OCD and ADD. Others have suggested it to me. I also have had a lot of friends that studied psycology. I personally feel like I'm normal in most situations, but there are definite not-normal things which rule my life in ways that are not apparent to anyone.

I do submit, that alcohol sure helps. I drank as I mentioned in my previous post some wine, and I don't drink much at all. Compounded with sleepiness, these problems are not as apparent.

Just to mention, I know someone with some harsh OCD. He wears gloves always, and no one can touch him. He says it isn't germ phobia, but rather that he believes that coming in contact with another human trades cells or microbes which change your genetic makeup or something. I'm not really 100% on his theories, but needless to say, he is by far one of the more unusual people I know. If someone touches his chest area (clothes), he has to bleach everything. There is more to it too, but really, I could go on forever about the strange people I know.

#22 Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

I do not have misophonia, but I can sympathize with you because I do have hyperacusis. I find a lot of sounds, especially sudden and loud ones, to be paralyzing. Certain sounds in the higher frequency range (phone rings, alarms, bells) are difficult for me to tolerate, if not almost physically painful to endure. I also complain a lot about electronics making high-pitch noises that apparently most other people can't hear.

:c

EDIT: And, as many people who have hyperacusis do, I have tinnitus in both ears.

I found misophonia by way of hyperacusis, which wasn't at all what I suffer from. I do have tinnitus now, but didn't until more recently. I believe an event in Berlin which had about 300 people doing a metal jam gave me my endless eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. I also have been doing music for years and have certainly suffered some hearing degredation from live performances and practices.

What I think is ironic is that I like some harsh noise like Whitehouse and older less abrasive noise like SPK and Einst├╝rzende Neubauten. I've wondered if my condition was a result of specific frequencies which I was sensitive to, but that doesn't make sense as the frequencies on the top end could be cut and I'd still be annoyed.

#23 Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I don't quite know what the sound is. It happens when people are eating. Some people have a click in their jaw when they chew. It's not the majority of people, or even very many in general. (At least that I've encountered.) But when I DO encounter someone making that noise, it's all I can concentrate on. I can't keep up conversation with other people, I can't do anything except fight the urge to become violent or scream at that person. My Godfather makes the noise, and eating with him is... Well, I really don't even want to talk about it now, because it's giving me chills. But I do avoid eating near him, or any situation that could cause me to be near him when he eats. I do fantasize about harming him when I hear it, even though I love him dearly.

I never realized some people have this feeling about other eating-sounds... Or even that there might be people who feel the way I do. I remember being younger and asking my family, "How do you do it? How do you sit there and eat while you can hear that noise?" No one seemed to mind except me. They could all tune it out.

That settles it. Let's get married and make mute babies.

#24 Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I found misophonia by way of hyperacusis, which wasn't at all what I suffer from. I do have tinnitus now, but didn't until more recently. I believe an event in Berlin which had about 300 people doing a metal jam gave me my endless eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. I also have been doing music for years and have certainly suffered some hearing degredation from live performances and practices..

You may be interested in tinnitus retraining therapy. Rather than approaching the issue from a psychological gah something is wrong with my mind perspective, you might look into other avenues. It was assumed for a long time that tinnitus is essential incurable and the causes are generally unknown (unless you were standing beside a grenade in which case it's pretty obvious). TRT is a relatively new idea that seeks not to change the perception of the sound, but to change how we react to that sound, which has the consequence of the brain essential starting to ignore it as irrelevant and it recedes into imperceptibility. I know of one person who had success with this method, and while not strictly for misophonia, I think it's worth looking into.

http://www.tinnitus.org/home/frame/THC1.htm
#25 Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

You may be interested in tinnitus retraining therapy. Rather than approaching the issue from a psychological gah something is wrong with my mind perspective, you might look into other avenues. It was assumed for a long time that tinnitus is essential incurable and the causes are generally unknown (unless you were standing beside a grenade in which case it's pretty obvious). TRT is a relatively new idea that seeks not to change the perception of the sound, but to change how we react to that sound, which has the consequence of the brain essential starting to ignore it as irrelevant and it recedes into imperceptibility. I know of one person who had success with this method, and while not strictly for misophonia, I think it's worth looking into.

http://www.tinnitus.org/home/frame/THC1.htm

Thanks for the info, I have looked briefly in to tinnitus before. It really doesn't bother me at the state I am at. I helps just to have a fan going, a computer whirring, the sound of a city nearby. My biggest concern is not necessarily the ringing as I can control is some and focus beyond it. I'm more concerned with being able to do audio production as I write, record, and mix music. Thanks to the online ear testing things, I've realized that my high end frequencies have taken a beating. This means that I could make a mix that would have a horrible high end which I can even hear, and that is no good.

#26 Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Ugh, tinnitus. I only get it about once a month but it just floors me. I wear headphones a lot at work, sometimes I'm not even listening to anything, just trying to drown out background noise. I admit I've lost it a few times and slammed my office door when people were standing outside talking and wouldn't shut up.
#27 Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Beginner

OMG I think I have this not as severely as you but I get so annoyed when my husband is eating if the room is quiet and I can hear him it makes me so angry, also I hate listening to people eat crisps (I'm in UK are they chips in US?). On the bus I used to get to work this same girl would always sit and eat 2 bags of crisps every morning, argh I just wanted to punch her face in!! Now I listen to music on the bus so I don't have to hear anyone
#28 Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Beginner

HOLY ****, i have this exactly! I never knew it was a proper thing before, just thought I was being ridiculous.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#29 Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Beginner

Maybe it isn't as rare as people say it is.

I'm not sure, Parsnip, if what you are talking about is the same thing, I think it makes sense to be annoyed when you are trying to work and people are being rude and making hard for you to focus.

Beanz and Rags, welcome to the club?

I really wonder what a group of people suffering from this would be like. Would everyone be quiet eaters and pleasantly happy, or would they all still have the uncomfortable feeling? Myself, I remember going on a 'date' with a group of people (I was interested in one girl, but the other girl was interested in me) and when we began eating, all 5 of us wear quiet eaters. I couldn't believe it and said so in amazement. The response was something like, 'of course we are quiet eaters'. That felt good.

#30 Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:

That settles it. Let's get married and make mute babies.

Done.

I'm also famous for saying, "My children are going to think they're deaf until they're about 15 years old." Children's toys that make noise make me livid. Being a nanny for so many years was probably some form of self-harm.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page