Soy And Heart Palpitations - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Beginner

Awhile ago I started having heart palpitations. I went to my doctor, but they seemed to come and go (week on, week off). I believe they were PVCs, but nothing came up on the day I went to my doctor and the ECG came back normal. He told me they were probably harmless, but suggested a Holter Monitor if they were bothering me that much. I declined and went home. I thought about when they started and noticed it was a bit after I went vegetarian that they began to occur. Preliminary thinking was that it might be a B12 issue, but B12 deficiency takes a long time to develop and, as far as I knew, I was getting enough B12 in my diet, so I started to look for other answers. When I went vegetarian I started drinking soy milk in the morning and wanted to test that hypothesis so I have since cut soy from my diet. My heart palpitations have since stopped. I'm not sure it is a causal link yet, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Beginner

I have palpitations due to mitral valve prolapse. I used to have them frequently, about once a week or so. I quit drinking coffee 3 years ago and they only occur a couple times a year now. Usually when I'm stressed/anxious.
#3 Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Beginner

You may well be allergic to soya, its not uncommon and any food allergy can cause heart palpatations.

Try upping your magnesium also, magnesium malate or magnesium citrate are good sources, there good for any palpatations.
#4 Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush' date='22 June 2010 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1277186461' post='2662701 View Post

Awhile ago I started having heart palpitations. I went to my doctor, but they seemed to come and go (week on, week off). I believe they were PVCs, but nothing came up on the day I went to my doctor and the ECG came back normal. He told me they were probably harmless, but suggested a Holter Monitor if they were bothering me that much. I declined and went home. I thought about when they started and noticed it was a bit after I went vegetarian that they began to occur. Preliminary thinking was that it might be a B12 issue, but B12 deficiency takes a long time to develop and, as far as I knew, I was getting enough B12 in my diet, so I started to look for other answers. When I went vegetarian I started drinking soy milk in the morning and wanted to test that hypothesis so I have since cut soy from my diet. My heart palpitations have since stopped. I'm not sure it is a causal link yet, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar.

I had the same symptoms. I suspected a food allergy after some time. Then one day I ate a Genesoy bar and got a severe reaction. Mostly palpitations. I then went for allergy testing. It did show a soy allergy. Also I have a allergy to wheat. I believed that was causing my hives. I really noticed it because I ate a concentrated soy protein bar. Have allergy testing done. I have heard that skin tests are more accurate.
#5 Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Beginner

Haven't been having much soy lately. I have some soy milk and cereal every now and then. No palpitations since I reduced intake.
#6 Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush' date='06 July 2010 - 09:56 PM' timestamp='1278471386' post='2670012 View Post

Haven't been having much soy lately. I have some soy milk and cereal every now and then. No palpitations since I reduced intake.

That is good to hear. If you have health insurance to cover most of the cost of allergy testing it would be a good idea if you can. If not I would cut out the soy and use something else. If you do have a reaction or symptoms again write down what you had to eat that day. I have heard that soy is giving more and more people problem. Soy is an additive in a lot of products so I am going to not eat so much packaged foods. I am going to try almond milk. Glad you are feeling better.
#7 Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Beginner

I tried almond milk and it was really... uhh... horrid. What brands do you guys drink? I forget what this one is and I don't feel like going to check, but I would never buy it again and, if not for feeling bad about wasting food, I wouldn't finish this carton.
#8 Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Almond milk and hemp milk are my favorites. Hemp milk more so only because it's the healthiest of all the milks but also the most expensive and not as available as the other ones.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#9 Old 07-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Beginner

I had severe palpitations after completing an olympic length triathlon.  I have been using soy milk for several years, this was the first time for the palpitations.    I had to be hospitalized and have had an irregular heartbeat for the past  three weeks since the race.  Yesterday,  I changed from soy to skim milk and I am already feeling better; less palpitations, and able to exercise comfortably again.  I had been pouring soy milk on my morning cereal.  My arrythmia was worst in the mornings. 

#10 Old 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Beginner

could be from stimulants such as cacao as well.

#11 Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Beginner

I have been eating a lot of Boca Vegan Burgers and have noticed lately that I get hearrtburn and chest pains after I eat them. Once I finish them, I am done eating them.. I am not sure if it is the soy, but I thiink those burgers are very unhealthy.
#12 Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Beginner

I have benign PVCs. There is really no cause to mine that I could find. I make sure to get enough potassium in my diet, exercise and stay hydrated which seems to help. Stomach problems can cause heart palpitations, so if you have a sensitivity to soy that *might* be causing it. I hope you figure out the cause of yours soon... they are annoying little devils!

#13 Old 07-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

I have been eating a lot of Boca Vegan Burgers and have noticed lately that I get hearrtburn and chest pains after I eat them. Once I finish them, I am done eating them.. I am not sure if it is the soy, but I thiink those burgers are very unhealthy.
Yes...look whats in them:
Ingredients: WATER, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WHEAT GLUTEN, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF METHYLCELLULOSE, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, DRIED ONIONS, YEAST EXTRACT, SESAME OIL, HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR (NON-MEAT), DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE. CONTAINS: SOY, WHEAT, SESAME.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#14 Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I have a sensitivity to soy, and I get the symptoms you describe when I eat it. I also get stomach cramping.
#15 Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Beginner

I know this is an old thread, but I have to chime in.

I have gotten heart palpitations since my late teens.  They always would go away within a half hour, most within a minute or two.  One day last december, I ate a cup-o-noodles and they started and didn't stop.  I think they went about 12 hours.  Doc couldn't find anything wrong with my heart, and dismissed the cup-o-noodles theory (I thought maybe triggered by MSG).  But they ran a thyroid test because if your thyroid is out of whack it can mess with your heart.  Thyroid came back low, I went on their meds, and started reading.  There are foods call goitrogens, which aggravate the thyroid.  Soy is the biggest.  Also almonds (I've always felt crappy after eating too many almonds), and raw broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage.  There are others, but those are the biggies.  I eventually (against medical advice), took myself off the synthetic hormone and focused on healing my thyroid.  I have been taking 600mg of kelp and 1000mg of l-tyrosine daily plus avoiding goitrogens.  

I am not vegan, but I don't think cow's milk is a healthy food, so I use coconut milk on cereal.  I didn't think I'd like it, but it's really good.

I have had no major tachycardia episodes since treating my thyroid.  I have also avoided MSG, just in case.  :)

VeganChick2202 likes this.
#16 Old 08-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkelpie View Post

I know this is an old thread, but I have to chime in.

I have gotten heart palpitations since my late teens. They always would go away within a half hour, most within a minute or two. One day last december, I ate a cup-o-noodles and they started and didn't stop. I think they went about 12 hours. Doc couldn't find anything wrong with my heart, and dismissed the cup-o-noodles theory (I thought maybe triggered by MSG). But they ran a thyroid test because if your thyroid is out of whack it can mess with your heart. Thyroid came back low, I went on their meds, and started reading. There are foods call goitrogens, which aggravate the thyroid. Soy is the biggest. Also almonds (I've always felt crappy after eating too many almonds), and raw broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. There are others, but those are the biggies. I eventually (against medical advice), took myself off the synthetic hormone and focused on healing my thyroid. I have been taking 600mg of kelp and 1000mg of l-tyrosine daily plus avoiding goitrogens.

I am not vegan, but I don't think cow's milk is a healthy food, so I use coconut milk on cereal. I didn't think I'd like it, but it's really good.

I have had no major tachycardia episodes since treating my thyroid. I have also avoided MSG, just in case. :)

Even if it was put down to your thyroid, your MSG theory is correct and a usual culprit for tachyarrhythmias xxx
#17 Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Beginner

I thought it was a pretty common cause, but the doctor looked at me like I was a nutjob for suggesting it, and later when I did research, I couldn't come up with anything conclusive.  It's one of those things that is better avoided anyway.

#18 Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Beginner

So interesting to read this. I have been trying to figure out what is causing me to have palpitations.

For the past 2 days I had a chocolate soy milk with lunch and immediately got palpitations.

I would not have figured it out if I hadn't had the 2nd drink today and also read this.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I do love almond milk so I'll switch to that and stay away from soy.

I am mostly a vegetarian so I'll have to really start reading labels!

#19 Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Beginner

I have been struggling with anxiety/depression my entire life (was an agoraphobic for several years when I was younger). Still got palpitations quite a bit. I started consuming potassium (naturally found in founds, not supplemented!) and these for the most part went away. I'll always deal with these, but it's nice that it's once a month, if that, instead of 2-3x / week.

#20 Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Beginner

I also went vegetarian many years ago and in the last year I became very sick with gastritis and palpitations, after a while it became evident that almond milk, almonds and sesame seeds were causing both, even consumed in small amounts, allergy tests were consistently negative. Also bloating and intestinal gas has been an increasing problem thought first to be caused by garlic and onions. In reality it has been greatly helped by broad spectrum digestive enzymes. I continue to be vegetarian for conscious health reasons but my intestine tolerated chicken fish and kosher meat much better during the more acute episodes.

#21 Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

I never had anything like this happen to me, but my BIL was having trouble sleeping, and thought is was sleep apnea. One day, on the way to work, my BIL and sister stopped to get a Starbucks, and he asked for soymilk in his. 5 hours in the hospital emergency room, it was diagnosed he had a soy allergy. I am that Royal P.I.T.A. in the grocery store that reads the ingredients labels on everything just to make sure there's no soy, soya, soy lecithin,  or even processed in a plant that uses soy in it. Trust me, I reaaaaalllly love Enjoy Life chocolate chips.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page